Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have previously removed the yellow warning stickers on the visors by placing a rubbing alcohol cloth patch over the sticker for about 20 minutes and then simply lifting them off. I have done this on two previous Porsche cars. I recently tried it on the Macan and the alcohol has no effect????? Porsche must have changed something. Anyone had any luck with this project?

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
....I recently tried it on the Macan and the alcohol has no effect????? Porsche must have changed something. Anyone had any luck with this project?
Hello @gla and welcome to the group! I removed the stickers from my Turbo, which had alcantara fabric on the sun visors. I can tell you that the stickers themselves have a foil backing, so are impermeable to liquid. Applying alcohol to the face of the sticker will not be able to soak-through and reach the adhesive on the other side.

Instead, you will have to apply alcohol to the edge, where it can contact and dissolve the adhesive, and then slowly peel the sticker back while continuing to apply alcohol to the leading edge. With alcantara fabric, it is easy for the alcohol to soak-in underneath the edge of the sticker and dissolve the adhesive. I imagine the process would be a little slower and more tedious with a vinyl visor, but it should still be possible.

Please let us know if you are successful, and how it turns out. I'm sure others here would be interested. If it helps, here is a link to an earlier post I wrote on my experience. The first link is specific to the visor stickers; the second link is the entire thread regarding delivery, and a few mods to the car.
Good luck with your project!

Porsche Macan Forum - View Single Post - Another White Macan on the Loose in L.A.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/deliveries/71745-another-white-macan-loose-l.html

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I wonder if a heat gun would work (or hair dryer)?

Ask your Porsche service advisor . In plan to do that when I get home from traveling. I don't want to take a chance and do it myself and muck it up .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
I wonder if a heat gun would work (or hair dryer)?
Unfortunately, not. I tried using a hair dryer based on some some YouTube videos, and it didn't work for me. On one of my visors, I did manage to get the sticker to start pealing back once heated, but it was leaving all the adhesive on the visor, and just made a bigger mess that I subsequently had to go back and remove with the alcohol. Perhaps it would react different on a vinyl visor, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone have an update on how to remove the yellow stickers from visor?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Isn't that illegal like removing the mattress labels :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Anyone have an update on how to remove the yellow stickers from visor?
My guess is you're wondering how successful folks have been using isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove the stickers on a vinyl visor. I'd be curious to know that too. It certainly worked on my Alcantara visors. :)

If no one responds, perhaps you can give it a try and report back.

Reactions: Convert

·
Registered
308 Posts
I tried this on my Jeep (fabric visors), the alcohol didn't seem to make a dent, though this stuff seems to be working (very slowly): De-Solv-it Citrus Solution, Organic and Biodegradable

Perhaps it also has to do with the age of the sticker, perhaps from brand new is easier vs a 7 year old..

Will post pics if I manage to succeed :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried this on my Jeep (fabric visors), the alcohol didn't seem to make a dent, though this stuff seems to be working (very slowly): De-Solv-it Citrus Solution, Organic and Biodegradable

Perhaps it also has to do with the age of the sticker, perhaps from brand new is easier vs a 7 year old..

Will post pics if I manage to succeed :)
Thank you, indeed I was not artful in asking the question but had seen the solution suggested earlier in the thread and was wondering if others had alternatives to suggest as the method cited was not working for me (despite snarky reply from another member). There have been threads about why don't more forum readers participate? Perhaps more graciousness would encourage broader participation. Thanks to you and SoCal55 for your replies.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
....was wondering if others had alternatives to suggest as the method cited was not working for me....
You might try the heat gun / hair dryer approach. It didn't work so well when I tried it on my alcantara visors, but perhaps the result might be different on a vinyl visor. You might find that it enables you to get the sticker off, leaving the adhesive film still on the visor.....but then enabling you to apply isopropyl alcohol directly to the adhesive to subsequently remove it. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Problem solved

So easy ...

First, take a very fine jewelers screwdriver and score the sticker in a checkerboard pattern vertically and horizontally. Then, score it again on the diagonals about every eighth of an inch apart. You could get all scientific and get some kind of micrometer to determine the distance between each of the scoring lines, but I did it after a bottle of Pinot Noir. It worked just fine.

OK now, hold on… The next step is very tricky. As others have suggested, get a folded up paper towel and soak it in isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Put it on top of the sticker and fold it up so that it's above the visor. Leave it there for a few minutes. Then all you have to do is… Peel away all the broken flakes of the sticker.

I'm not entirely sure that this procedure will work every single time, but it worked for me on both sides of the car. I would do YouTube video, but I don't think I have the money to buy a camera. I'm more inclined to go by 10,000 new Macan turbos and repeat the process until I've got absolute confirmation that it works 99.95% of the time. :)

The 0nly variable in the process, as far as I can determine, is the label on the Pinot Noir. I strongly recommend something from California, in fact a Sea Smoke "Ten" Pinot Noir from 2008. If you live within 1000 miles of Boston, and would like me to come help, I'm willing to reproduce this experiment using a different vintage of the same wine.

Oh...alcantara head liner and visors. Dark brown premium leather over rhodium. ... Just in case that's a variable. 2015 turbo.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
But; did the Pinot sticker have aluminium backing? :laugh:

Reactions: RJMcInnis

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
So easy ...

First, take a very fine jewelers screwdriver and score the sticker in a checkerboard pattern vertically and horizontally. Then, score it again on the diagonals about every eighth of an inch apart. You could get all scientific and get some kind of micrometer to determine the distance between each of the scoring lines, but I did it after a bottle of Pinot Noir. It worked just fine.

OK now, hold on… The next step is very tricky. As others have suggested, get a folded up paper towel and soak it in isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Put it on top of the sticker and fold it up so that it's above the visor. Leave it there for a few minutes. Then all you have to do is… Peel away all the broken flakes of the sticker.

I'm not entirely sure that this procedure will work every single time, but it worked for me on both sides of the car. I would do YouTube video, but I don't think I have the money to buy a camera. I'm more inclined to go by 10,000 new Macan turbos and repeat the process until I've got absolute confirmation that it works 99.95% of the time. :)

The 0nly variable in the process, as far as I can determine, is the label on the Pinot Noir. I strongly recommend something from California, in fact a Sea Smoke "Ten" Pinot Noir from 2008. If you live within 1000 miles of Boston, and would like me to come help, I'm willing to reproduce this experiment using a different vintage of the same wine.

Oh...alcantara head liner and visors. Dark brown premium leather over rhodium. ... Just in case that's a variable. 2015 turbo.
I normally quote project time units in 6 packs but I'm from Texas, lol. Good show!

·
Registered
51 Posts
How would a Porsche colored emblem sticker look there in a background same as the headliner? - something with a strong adhesive if one is concerned that it may do some damage to the visor trying to remove the yellow one.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Okay, for those with vinyl sun visors, at least one member was able to remove the warning stickers using a hair dryer......

What method did you use for the sticker removal?
I initially tried 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, but quickly discovered the stickers are foil backed, so the alcohol could not penetrate and was ineffective. Ended up borrowing a hair dryer from the missus and using it as a low temp heat gun to heat up the adhesive. Once good and warm, carefully lifted a single corner with a 10 blade (curved scalpel blade, but betting a simple pocket knife would work), grabbed said corner with some mosquito hemostats (fancy small tweezers with textured surface for more grip), and peeled slowly. Even the relatively low heat will cause a little buckling/sagging of the visor skin while warm, but will re-stretch back to normal after cooling. HTH!
http://www.macanforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions/114817-byakko-out-shadows.html

1 - 20 of 35 Posts