Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Best way is to park it out in the sun for several hours and then just lift a corner and pull it off slowly. Do not use anything metal or sharp to lift it off. If you can't get it warn enough with sun, use a hair dryer and warm the area. You just want to make the applied paint protection film warm so it can be lifted off. Then just use some goof off or wax to clean the area when done. Personally, I would order new rock protectors and reapply them. That area catches a lot of rocks.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
Best way is to park it out in the sun for several hours and then just lift a corner and pull it off slowly. Do not use anything metal or sharp to lift it off. If you can't get it warn enough with sun, use a hair dryer and warm the area. You just want to make the applied paint protection film warm so it can be lifted off. Then just use some goof off or wax to clean the area when done. Personally, I would order new rock protectors and reapply them. That area catches a lot of rocks.
Mud flaps help here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Done these things a couple of times.
Take it slow, it's easy.
As previously mentioned, hair dryer, warm it up, if you have fingernails, they're best (no not if they're painted) and gently pick a corner.
If it peels off in large pieces, you've scored.
Use the hairdryer all the time to keep it soft.
If it's being reluctant, goop off (the big bottle, definitely NOT that lighter fluid stuff) spray it on lots, let it sit for 15 mins. It works.
Don't try to polish off old sticky residue, use more goop off.
Like I said, slow and easy, let the stuff soak and it will be like the old yellowed things were never there.

Get new ones, put them on, don't run the car without, you'll regret it.

Last, but should be first, take a few pics and measurements before you start, you'd be surprised how easy it is to line the new ones up just I tiny bit off... yeah, experience :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Please go a little further on your explanation here as I don't understand it.
very hard to explain. imagine peeling a sticker or a roll of tape. you lift a tab, then pull backwards to undo it. This doesn't work with car film as it'll rip. You similarly life up a tab, then pull it up and away/forward, not backwards. Steam/heat will help

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
very hard to explain. imagine peeling a sticker or a roll of tape. you lift a tab, then pull backwards to undo it. This doesn't work with car film as it'll rip. You similarly life up a tab, then pull it up and away/forward, not backwards. Steam/heat will help
So you are trying to keep the sticky stuff still attached to the protective film? I think I understand then if this is the case. In addition what works is patience. The pull can't exceed the patience.

·
Registered
2022 Macan
41 Posts
This is an old thread, but hoping to revive it. I just received my new Macan and before I could say no they had already applied protective film. Most of it doesn't matter, but the approx. 5" x 3' piece along the trunk bumper is a sand magnet.

If I peel this off very carefully, will it cause a problem for the Night Blue Metallic paint? TIA

·
Registered
3,984 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Macan
41 Posts
Here is an image of the sand stuck in the film. You can see the sand on the paint, which is very fine, but stuck in the film. That hasn't happened in the other sections of the film. I would love to just peel it off but am concerned it will leave behind damaged paint.
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts