Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Super valid excuse! I envy you going to the pool. How I wish I was back in FL during the cold months (minus the hurricanes)
Its hard to imagine its still cold everywhere else . I literally had to pour water on the ground after taking off one sneaker while taking off the other. I dont usually like to swim at the hottest times of the day to avoid the sun but the Covid schedule put a sunburn on me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Its hard to imagine its still cold everywhere else . I literally had to pour water on the ground after taking off one sneaker while taking off the other. I dont usually like to swim at the hottest times of the day to avoid the sun but the Covid schedule put a sunburn on me.
You have zero sympathy coming your way from Minnesota! :eek: But, hey, starting tomorrow the forecast is calling for us to get all the way into the 40's! :D

·
Banned
618 Posts
You have zero sympathy coming your way from Minnesota! :eek: But, hey, starting tomorrow the forecast is calling for us to get all the way into the 40's! :D
As one of the sales representative mentioned to me in total wine a few days ago: it's sailing time. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
26 Posts
First I came across this article that almost parrots what I have been saying . How Reliable Is the Porsche Macan? | MotorBiscuit

Snippets from article -
1) Reliability --- "So far, the 2020 Macan has performed well. There are no known recalls for the 2020 Macan. This year’s Macan is particularly appealing because it features the muscular GTS performance package and many desirable infotainment features. "

2) Used--"If you are interested in buying a Macan used, the 2018 model year is a reliable option to consider"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now is where I give my take .
The new base car is a fantastic car for the person who isn't ready to drop 80-100 K on a GTS or Turbo . The caveat is the go lean on options because Porsche does stagger the prices between trims. All those buyers back in 2015 who wanted every beeping gadget ended up with dated gear but what is long lasting is the engine and body shell components. That's what is timeless . However Porsche improved them too in the new car . The interior is upgraded. No longer are those AC vents misplaced. The exterior is also improved , Notice there are no complaints of hood gap or quality control issues . In fact "NO RECALLS " !!!!!!!! The new car is a better car !! The exhaust isn't better sounding but its not terrible . Its leaner, faster , more efficient and can be purchased at a reasonable cost.

I have made it no secret that I have always liked the base car , the GTS , and the Turbo. All three have different reasons and all three are great cars. I have always made it no secret that I have never liked the S . If interested in why go and read 6 years of my posts on it . I have consistently avoided the S and can think of countless times I have scratched my head on that car.

Which only praises the other 3 trims even MORE .... including the base car.
I drive a 2018 Base. I didn't purchase the base because I couldn't afford a GTS or Turbo. I bought it because I don't drive a **** ton of miles. My 2018 has 11K miles on it. I wanted to move into a Porsche after my VW Touareg TDI w/Executive trim that cost about the same as my Macan base several years earlier. I love my Macan, would I love a Turbo - **** yes. But, this is my last Porsche because I am an Android phone user and I'm still pissed with no Android Auto. So I'll move on, to what, who knows. My Macan still looks brand new and I'll drive it for a while :)

·
Banned
618 Posts
I drive a 2018 Base. I didn't purchase the base because I couldn't afford a GTS or Turbo. I bought it because I don't drive a ** ton of miles. My 2018 has 11K miles on it. I wanted to move into a Porsche after my VW Touareg TDI w/Executive trim that cost about the same as my Macan base several years earlier. I love my Macan, would I love a Turbo - ** yes. But, this is my last Porsche because I am an Android phone user and I'm still pissed with no Android Auto. So I'll move on, to what, who knows. My Macan still looks brand new and I'll drive it for a while :)
In this scenario it would be much wiser to dump android, not Porsche. You will have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
I drive a 2018 Base. I didn't purchase the base because I couldn't afford a GTS or Turbo. I bought it because I don't drive a ** ton of miles. My 2018 has 11K miles on it. I wanted to move into a Porsche after my VW Touareg TDI w/Executive trim that cost about the same as my Macan base several years earlier. I love my Macan, would I love a Turbo - ** yes. But, this is my last Porsche because I am an Android phone user and I'm still pissed with no Android Auto. So I'll move on, to what, who knows. My Macan still looks brand new and I'll drive it for a while :)
I think with Launch....you can enable Android....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Count me as one that doesn't understand your hate as well...you salty? apparently there is a great market for the S, or Porsche wouldn't continue to sell it like they do; but what do they know???
Had a 2015 S great car, traded it at 50K on a 2018 S GREAT CAR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a 2018 base w/ 12K of options. Also have Q5 3.0T (supercharged V6-not a turbo) - last year before Mexico manufacturing. Base has it all over for quick & nimble performance and handling. However, for highway I prefer Q5. Did have an '06 ride with 3.6 VR6 and loved the power band but find the 2.0T base more than adequate & even better for my senior citizen need for speed. It's the handling speeds on back roads that gets me now. I've read a lot of posts on bashing the base, but steel setup seems to communicate more to me on those back roads.

·
Premium Member
2015 Macan Turbo, 2017 911 C2S/X51 ERE
589 Posts
Yes Id rather have a CPO GTS or Turbo, than a Base or even an S...
I recently bought a hard-loaded GT Silver 2015 CPO Turbo with 35K miles that looks like new, for half the sticker price. Love it!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Laughing at the weather reports . . . . I do a 0745 call with my Construction Ops Team daily. A couple weeks ago, I> did it from the south where it was pushing 87˚F . . . . jumped in the Macan . . . . drove north and did the next morning at 2˚F.

Shocking.

So Saturday . . . I send the better half a photo and tell her how cold it was. We were on a hill, 9˚F temps with a big wind . . . it was biting. So she sends me this pic from the back porch.

G r r r r r r . . . .

·
Registered
876 Posts
Weather is getting very strange. Here in Minnesota we had three separate Tornado Warnings just to the southeast of the Twin Cities while issuing a Winter Weather Hazard for the area just to the northwest. Crazy!

·
Registered
2018 Macan Base (sold); 2021 Macan S (current)
19 Posts
First I came across this article that almost parrots what I have been saying . How Reliable Is the Porsche Macan? | MotorBiscuit

Snippets from article -
1) Reliability --- "So far, the 2020 Macan has performed well. There are no known recalls for the 2020 Macan. This year’s Macan is particularly appealing because it features the muscular GTS performance package and many desirable infotainment features. "

2) Used--"If you are interested in buying a Macan used, the 2018 model year is a reliable option to consider"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now is where I give my take .
The new base car is a fantastic car for the person who isn't ready to drop 80-100 K on a GTS or Turbo . The caveat is the go lean on options because Porsche does stagger the prices between trims. All those buyers back in 2015 who wanted every beeping gadget ended up with dated gear but what is long lasting is the engine and body shell components. That's what is timeless . However Porsche improved them too in the new car . The interior is upgraded. No longer are those AC vents misplaced. The exterior is also improved , Notice there are no complaints of hood gap or quality control issues . In fact "NO RECALLS " !!!!!!!! The new car is a better car !! The exhaust isn't better sounding but its not terrible . Its leaner, faster , more efficient and can be purchased at a reasonable cost.

I have made it no secret that I have always liked the base car , the GTS , and the Turbo. All three have different reasons and all three are great cars. I have always made it no secret that I have never liked the S . If interested in why go and read 6 years of my posts on it . I have consistently avoided the S and can think of countless times I have scratched my head on that car.

Which only praises the other 3 trims even MORE .... including the base car.
I truly appreciate you posing this question. It's undeniably relevant to my current situation and I pondered it at length.
I agree with you and CNET - which affectionately jokes that the acronym "GTS" stand for "get that spec." All things being equal, the S doesn't make a lot of sense. And yet, I have accepted an offer on one - planning to finalize the deal on Wednesday.

I leased a 2018 base Macan (Spyder wheels, LCA, sunroof; around a 57K MSRP) in Nov. 2018. Couldn't love the car more. I have less than 12K miles on it. According to my lease mileage allowance, I should be at around 25K miles. So. Cal's used car market is hot. Time to sell and make money on my lease. My base has held its value. To illustrate, selling price was around 52K; Carmax plans to list it for 47K and offered me 41K. My payoff is 32K. I did a single pay. Had I signed a traditional lease, my payoff would be around 37K. But, what to buy?

I chose an S for the following reasons. First, I have four used car dealers interested in purchasing my 2018 - the three smaller companies are in a bidding war and outbid Carmax. I asked each dealer which Macan trim has the best resale and all insisted that the S trim does. Their answers are probably shaped by local market(s) trends and forces. Second, I can negotiate the selling price of an S (and base). I currently have 8% off the MSRP - might as well shoot for 10% before signing on Wednesday. Not going to happen with a GTS. Third, the base isn't the "value" that it used to be. When I leased my base, a well optioned base could be had for around 55K. Not true these days. I configured a 2021 base and a 2021 S with the same amenities - premium plus package and upgraded wheels. The difference in MSRP is 7K. I'd rather put my money into an S with a 72K MSRP than a base with 65K MSRP.

Back to your specific question, why would someone buy a new S over a 2018 base? Using my base as an example, I am not convinced that 47K for a 2018 Macan without nav is money well spent. I've got 20 months left on my warranty and a car with 2010 tech. As for reliability, I seem to have a very different conception of reliability compared to most Macan Forum members. I drove a reliable car from ages 21 to 36. My only expenses were routine maintenance during my 15 years ownership. My Macan's air conditioning system, on the other hand, started acting up at year 1. Consumer Reports just listed 2015 and 2016 Macan models under the category of "worst used cars," and the Macan's 2018 5-point Likert Scale reliability rating was also downgraded to second to worst. So, the person who buys my base for 47K should probably buy an extended warranty for 5K. If that's a reasonable statement, then buying a used 2018 base with a five year warranty will cost 52K. I adore my car but that's a lot money for it.

Once again, thank you for posing the question. I truly appreciate the analysis, thoughtfulness, and wisdom behind it.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts