Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
True, but bigger block with boost will be more powerful than a smaller engine with boost. The 917 had twin turbos. Why would anyone want a small engine twin turbo when you could have a 1500 HP 5L flat 12? and that was 50 years ago. Imagine would they could build if the EU regulators allowed them to.
They would eventually run out of Hp to improve . There are limits even to an NA engine . Besides as it is 2.6 to 60 and 10 sec 1/4 is darn quick for a street car (2021 911 Turbo S) .

Besides ... the magic with the new Macan is in the PDK . Its way improved !!!
Somewhere on this thread I did post an old article which stated that Porsche could have opted for 500 Hp on the 3.6 Turbo. They didn't go there . Maybe too hard to offer 4 yr 50K .. who knows . They chose not to.

Either way my discussion centered on stock cars .. primarily the Base car where the buyer is not all that interested in winning races .. he just wants to have some versatility and fun. He also doesn't want to live in the shop with repairs.
Thats what we are seeing here lately show up.. guys who want a fun car to drive and are worried that at 50K they may go in and hit issues . The answer is right in front of them ..... "It;'s all about the Base"

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
I am talking about tuning potential, something I though prospective buyers would be interested in knowing.

Maybe @JonFlat6Motorsports will chime in with a possible Tune for the Gen 2 Turbo. I checked the COBB website for an available COBB tune for the Gen 2 Turbo and did not see one.
I want stock numbers ..... then the tuned stuff . Both gen cars . I am comparing old Turbo to new GTS Bone stock !!!

Got the numbers !!! Here ya go ... 2020 macan gts stock 0-60. Beast

Pete pulled 4.5 on his first attempt . AutoNl pulled 4.3 . These aren't even tuned !!!
Turne a GTS and it beat your tuned Turbo.
Tune my Turbo and its bye bye.

·
Banned
618 Posts
I want stock numbers ..... then the tuned stuff . Both gen cars . I am comparing old Turbo to new GTS Bone stock !!!

Got the numbers !!! Here ya go ... 2020 macan gts stock 0-60. Beast

Pete pulled 4.5 on his first attempt . AutoNl pulled 4.3 . These aren't even tuned !!!
Tune my Turbo and its bye bye.
I thought on previous page you mentioned that tuning = compensation. Changed your mind already?

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I thought on previous page you mentioned that tuning = compensation. Changed your mind already?
Nope ... Petes car is bone stock !!! So is the auto Nl car. That time slip is stock. I asked Jon if he has stock dyno numbers .

I did say .. stock Vs stock and tuned vs tuned . I also said I have no desire to tune an SUV .. I think its ridiculous .

I already have a tuned car.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Danger, danger Will Robinson / Trigger warning !!!:

If you are tired of hearing it, don't read it. However there is truth in the saying "no replacement for displacement" as there is with many sayings. That's how they become sayings, such as "Many a truth is spoken in jest". In this case its not just the Gen 1 Turbo 20% displacement advantage. There is also the reduced options for tuning the Gen 2 Turbo engine. As far as I know COBB does not have a CPU tune for the Gen 2 Turbo and I believe for the other Gen 2 engine the CPU needs to be removed. I think that's important info for new owners trying to decide between Gen 1 and Gen 2 Turbos.
The gen 1 turbo was a great car I had a used 2015 (@yrralis1 s has had 2 gen 1 and 1 gen 2 turbos - and 30 years worth of big dog 911s including a stage 4 turbo that can snap the passenger's neck). However, according to street and magazine testing, the stock gen 2 turbo is as fast the gen 1 turbo running an off the shelf 93 octane cobb map. This is because the 2.9 has the turbos in the hot V configuration (like AMG and the M5) and is more efficient with higher compression ratio. PDK also feels faster in the refresh. My gts cost more than my used turbo, but it is more responsive, feels noticeably faster, and handles miles better than my old turbo did. It also has PSCB (white) brakes which stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. These are bad a$$. I also had a 16 S tuned to the t1ts. The gts is also faster stock than that was. I didnt but the gts for for racing or weekend driving I bought it for my wife to daily. But when I drove it I fell in love with it because it dynamically feels like my other porsche sports cars. I actually stole it from the wife I like it so much LMAO

·
Registered
898 Posts
The gen 1 turbo was a great car I had a used 2015 (@yrralis1 s has had 2 gen 1 and 1 gen 2 turbos - and 30 years worth of big dog 911s including a stage 4 turbo that can snap the passenger's neck). However, according to street and magazine testing, the stock gen 2 turbo is as fast the gen 1 turbo running an off the shelf 93 octane cobb map. This is because the 2.9 has the turbos in the hot V configuration (like AMG and the M5) and is more efficient with higher compression ratio. PDK also feels faster in the refresh. My gts cost more than my used turbo, but it is more responsive, feels noticeably faster, and handles miles better than my old turbo did. It also has PSCB (white) brakes which stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. These are bad a$$. I also had a 16 S tuned to the t1ts. The gts is also faster stock than that was. I didnt but the gts for for racing or weekend driving I bought it for my wife to daily. But when I drove it I fell in love with it because it dynamically feels like my other porsche sports cars. I actually stole it from the wife I like it so much LMAO
Thanks. Could you link to one of those magazine articles?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Reactions: muncie and yrralis1

·
Banned
618 Posts
Nope ... Petes car is bone stock !!! So is the auto Nl car. That time slip is stock. I asked Jon if he has stock dyno numbers .

I did say .. stock Vs stock and tuned vs tuned . I also said I have no desire to tune an SUV .. I think its ridiculous .

I already have a tuned car.
View attachment 240224
I am sure you are compensating by driving that beauty. 2021 Corolla 4 banger would be much more reliable.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I am sure you are compensating by driving that beauty. 2021 Corolla 4 banger would be much more reliable.
Not a 700 wheel hp corolla

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You owned both a GTS and the 3.6l Turbo? Was the Cobb tune worth it? I'm still debating getting it, only because it seems I hardly get the opportunity to use Sport+ in my area. Mostly short rides.
Yes, I owned both at the same time (6 months), a 2015 Turbo and a 2017 GTS, both firsrt edition Cobb tuned. I was not overall happy with the response in addition to getting bored with having 2 Macans so I traded the 2015 Turbo in for a 2017 991.2 Cabriolet. That was a few years ago. The Cobb tune has been revised and remapped so many times since then so you don't want my take on the tune.

Reactions: mdubya and yrralis1

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
But when I drove it I fell in love with it because it dynamically feels like my other porsche sports cars. I actually stole it from the wife I like it so much LMAO
I need to drive mine more and short of stealing it from my wife its hard to do. The best times to take it are when the roads are empty . I have done it .. just not enough . Your post inspired me .

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I need to drive mine more and short of stealing it from my wife its hard to do. The best times to take it are when the roads are empty . I have done it .. just not enough . Your post inspired me .
Push it a bit. Its gonna blow your mind with the pscb. Once broken in you can trail brake it like a mofo. At least the gts front end grip is stupid with the ground clearance and stiffer roll bars. Its impossible to unstick the rear on this car it will just understeer if you come in too hot. But the gen 2 has noticeably less understeer with the 2.9. They must have also lowered the engine into the chassis and revised the steering because the front end dives in now whereas my old turbo felt like a schoolbus by comparison. Forget the 16s. My wife, who doesnt know how to drive, commented that compared to the new gts the old S didnt feel like a porsche 🤣

Reactions: mdubya

·
Registered
437 Posts
The Cobb tune has been revised and remapped so many times since then so you don't want my take on the tune.
Always find it amusing how the very vocal Cobb haters on this forum never mention the vast majority of Cobb owners have no issues. Not saying there are not some owners with legitimate gripes, but for the vast majority of us no discussion is needed as the tune works as advertised and is fantastic. Have it on both our Turbo and GTS.

Ever notice how some of the haters try to take advantage of every opportunity to mention they are unhappy with Cobb despite the thread have nothing to do with Cobb? Obviously they have their own agenda.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Who are the cobb haters?

Reactions: muncie

·
Registered
898 Posts
The gen 2 mac turbo cuts a 12.2. Best i could ever get in my 15 with intakes and exhaust (stock map) was a 12.8 or 12.9. So figure every .1 sec is worth roughly 10 wheel hp.
I'm having a Deja Vu, maybe I'm in a familiar rabbit hole? I read those reviews before. Seems like the Gen 2 Turbo is roughly equivalent to the Gen 1 performance package with a tenth or two of a second quicker 0-60 time. I'd guess the smaller engine might be a little lighter? With still more HP and TQ I'd expect the COBB tuned 3.6L to be a little quicker.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm having a Deja Vu, maybe I'm in a familiar rabbit hole? I read those reviews before. Seems like the Gen 2 Turbo is roughly equivalent to the Gen 1 performance package with a tenth or two of a second quicker 0-60 time. I'd guess the smaller engine might be a little lighter? With still more HP and TQ I'd expect the COBB tuned 3.6L to be a little quicker.
Maybe on paper but I wouldnt be able to tell the difference

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Push it a bit. Its gonna blow your mind with the pscb. Once broken in you can trail brake it like a mofo. At least the gts front end grip is stupid with the ground clearance and stiffer roll bars. Its impossible to unstick the rear on this car it will just understeer if you come in too hot. But the gen 2 has noticeably less understeer with the 2.9. They must have also lowered the engine into the chassis and revised the steering because the front end dives in now whereas my old turbo felt like a schoolbus by comparison. Forget the 16s. My wife, who doesnt know how to drive, commented that compared to the new gts the old S didnt feel like a porsche 🤣
In the few drives I have done I do notice the difference . When I got the first Turbo I had read about "understeer" but for about 6 months had not experienced it . Then one night I was on an empty 4 lane road that sweeps into a curve next to a canal . In my 911 and even former Boxster I could rip that corner . In the 15 Macan Turbo I had a moment of real fear when I felt that it would not make it . I still remember it . I obviously managed to pull it through and at least I didn't submerge the car as well but I put a real limit on my Macan Turbo boundaries .

In contrast the new one does feel more capable . I was going to take it today. Wife said it needed gas . Tomorrow ? I hope.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts