Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I came across this article that almost parrots what I have been saying . How Reliable Is the Porsche Macan? | MotorBiscuit

Snippets from article -
1) Reliability --- "So far, the 2020 Macan has performed well. There are no known recalls for the 2020 Macan. This year’s Macan is particularly appealing because it features the muscular GTS performance package and many desirable infotainment features. "

2) Used--"If you are interested in buying a Macan used, the 2018 model year is a reliable option to consider"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now is where I give my take .
The new base car is a fantastic car for the person who isn't ready to drop 80-100 K on a GTS or Turbo . The caveat is the go lean on options because Porsche does stagger the prices between trims. All those buyers back in 2015 who wanted every beeping gadget ended up with dated gear but what is long lasting is the engine and body shell components. That's what is timeless . However Porsche improved them too in the new car . The interior is upgraded. No longer are those AC vents misplaced. The exterior is also improved , Notice there are no complaints of hood gap or quality control issues . In fact "NO RECALLS " !!!!!!!! The new car is a better car !! The exhaust isn't better sounding but its not terrible . Its leaner, faster , more efficient and can be purchased at a reasonable cost.

I have made it no secret that I have always liked the base car , the GTS , and the Turbo. All three have different reasons and all three are great cars. I have always made it no secret that I have never liked the S . If interested in why go and read 6 years of my posts on it . I have consistently avoided the S and can think of countless times I have scratched my head on that car.

Which only praises the other 3 trims even MORE .... including the base car.

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
273 Posts
I will never be ready to spend 100k on a daily car in Manhattan. Don't assume lack of finances is the only reason I or anyone else wouldn't buy a GTS or Turbo. I drove a new base. Then I drove a few pre-owned S's. No replacement for displacement. "But Cobb and PC on a base" Yeah well I put them on my S as well. For around 30k, some circuit boards and lowering links you get pretty darn close to a GTS, and for half the price. So to me, the GTS is the odd one. Not the S. No offense but your posts are beginning to sound like "let them eat base". :)

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
273 Posts
oh btw my figures are based on the 2015-16 as that is the only in depth pricing experience I have.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
First I came across this article that almost parrots what I have been saying . How Reliable Is the Porsche Macan? | MotorBiscuit

Snippets from article -
1) Reliability --- "So far, the 2020 Macan has performed well. There are no known recalls for the 2020 Macan. This year’s Macan is particularly appealing because it features the muscular GTS performance package and many desirable infotainment features. "

2) Used--"If you are interested in buying a Macan used, the 2018 model year is a reliable option to consider"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now is where I give my take .
The new base car is a fantastic car for the person who isn't ready to drop 80-100 K on a GTS or Turbo . The caveat is the go lean on options because Porsche does stagger the prices between trims. All those buyers back in 2015 who wanted every beeping gadget ended up with dated gear but what is long lasting is the engine and body shell components. That's what is timeless . However Porsche improved them too in the new car . The interior is upgraded. No longer are those AC vents misplaced. The exterior is also improved , Notice there are no complaints of hood gap or quality control issues . In fact "NO RECALLS " !!!!!!!! The new car is a better car !! The exhaust isn't better sounding but its not terrible . Its leaner, faster , more efficient and can be purchased at a reasonable cost.

I have made it no secret that I have always liked the base car , the GTS , and the Turbo. All three have different reasons and all three are great cars. I have always made it no secret that I have never liked the S . If interested in why go and read 6 years of my posts on it . I have consistently avoided the S and can think of countless times I have scratched my head on that car.

Which only praises the other 3 trims even MORE .... including the base car.
Count me as one that doesn't understand your hate as well...you salty? apparently there is a great market for the S, or Porsche wouldn't continue to sell it like they do; but what do they know???

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will never be ready to spend 100k on a daily car in Manhattan. Don't assume lack of finances is the only reason I or anyone else wouldn't buy a GTS or Turbo. I drove a new base. Then I drove a few pre-owned S's. No replacement for displacement. "But Cobb and PC on a base" Yeah well I put them on my S as well. For around 30k, some circuit boards and lowering links you get pretty darn close to a GTS, and for half the price. So to me, the GTS is the odd one. Not the S. No offense but your posts are beginning to sound like "let them eat base". :)
You are discussing modded cars and win that same breath once could modify a Turbo just as easily as an S . Plus somewhere on this forum I did document that even a base turbo has a stronger PDK unit which you modded S does not have . The NYC Manhattan roads are no match for a busted PDK in contrast .

Nonetheless .. my discussion was aimed at buying a stock Macan and leaving it that way.

I did not create this thread to get Macan S hate . Be glad I dont like it . It makes one more car available to you.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Count me as one that doesn't understand your hate as well...you salty? apparently there is a great market for the S, or Porsche wouldn't continue to sell it like they do; but what do they know???
They know how to make money . That S paid for the new Gt3 .
The "everything is an option" takes a 60K Macan S (up from 49K in 2015) and can turn it into an 80K car with just a few beeping tech gadgets and wheels that are a fraction of the price on a Turbo or GTS .

You will never get me to like the S . Its only makes me love the others even more !!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have to say I completely disagree with your opinion. I would never, ever recommend getting a base. It is quite simply unimpressive.

The turbo is obviously top of the line, but it comes with the price premium. The GTS has that sporty look and feel, but is essentially just a factory tuned S. I’d argue that the best value Porsche Macan is a nicely optioned S with a Cobb stage 1 tune.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS.. if those driving a base car eating popcorn are smiling at the savings (of a nimble and agile daily car) or the GTS owners realize the extra stretch really paid off .. they are right .

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Have to say I completely disagree with your opinion. I would never, ever recommend getting a base. It is quite simply unimpressive.

The turbo is obviously top of the line, but it comes with the price premium. The GTS has that sporty look and feel, but is essentially just a factory tuned S. I’d argue that the best value Porsche Macan is a nicely optioned S with a Cobb stage 1 tune.
The guy spending 55K may not have 85K .

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
273 Posts
You asked a question based on what sounds like an assumption that all S will have pdk issues. I took the time to elaborate my experience. I have my Macan S. Why should I be glad if you like it or hate it lol? How old are you?

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d argue that the best value Porsche Macan is a nicely optioned S with a Cobb stage 1 tune.
Again the topic of modding the car comes up . Its a totally different domain . The truth is you are compensating for what can be had in the Turbo which also can be modded too. Dont you see even modding it ... its not the one to cross the finish line as number 1. If that's what matters (which it doesn't for many who buy an SUV) then its sill mediocre and expensive.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You asked a question. I took the time to elaborate my experience. I have my Macan S. Why should I be glad if you like it or hate it lol? How old are you?
If I were 90 or 20 years old why not just accept that the words on the page are what make your points weak . My age. what you weigh or eat for lunch are just red herrings to the point that no matter what is done to an S it will never save cost like a base or become as fast as a Turbo . It will always be ...... the middle .. even modding both.
It is inferior and expensive .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Again the topic of modding the car comes up . Its a totally different domain . The truth is you are compensating for what can be had in the Turbo which also can be modded too. Dont you see even modding it ... its not the one to cross the finish line as number 1. If that's what matters (which it doesn't for many who buy an SUV) then its sill mediocre and expensive.
“It’s a totally different domain”? Are you aware it takes 10 minutes to complete? I’d hardly say this is a hardcore modification. It is a quick, simple and cost effective aftermarket tune that wakes up the engine to probably even surpassing the GTS performance—which is again a factory tuned S.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
“It’s a totally different domain”? Are you aware it takes 10 minutes to complete? I’d hardly say this is a hardcore modification. It is a quick, simple and cost effective aftermarket tune that wakes up the engine to probably even surpassing the GTS performance—which is again a factory tuned S.
The new GTS has the same engine at the Turbo . Its the 2.9 liter engine . Its not the single turbo found in the S.
The old car which this rhetoric of "is a factory tuned S" is just pure disinformation . In fact a sticky thread on this forum that addressed it years ago . THIS is what makes the GTS different...

Lastly .,. I dont care how long it takes to modify. a car . Its an apples to oranges comparison on every level . Any Macan can be modified. Just the fact that you claim to modify the car to tie (or maybe surpass) the next trim doesn't mean he cant do it too and so on.

The performance is not even the crux of my S disdain . Its the options list and pricing and how expensive cars end up not being the best . Or how an identical pair of wheels (and other options) cost one price on one car and another on the next trim .

Even the Turbo which is excessive does have a lot standard . Add the PSCB brakes , 18 way seats , and Bose to a GTS and that MSRP gap does narrow . The GTS still is the better value with a few omissions mostly because it has the main strength of the 2.9 engine . Thats a huge win for the GTS .

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’d argue that the best value Porsche Macan is a nicely optioned S with a Cobb stage 1 tune.
Its an old article but very relevant to add to the S Vs Turbo of the first gen car . It discusses why Porsche went to bigger engine at that time and even goes as far to say it could actually make 500 Hp in level of capability . It reveals the technical information of the two engines of that time.

Back then 2015 .... a lot of guys came within 12K configuring S to the same car in a Turbo . I disliked the S back then and felt the price gap was so close that the Turbo was the only pick , In fact I bought two of them (15 and 16) .

Here's the article ... quote -

Known by the internal code M4630, the 3.0 litre V6 bi-turbo motor in the Macan S is a derivative of the M4660 motor first seen in the face-lifted Panamera last year, but with Macan-specific air-intake system and cylinder heads.
Its 2,997cc displacement comes from an over-square bore and stroke of 96.0 x 69.0mm, which gives the motor its smooth, free-revving character. While it has become fashionable to apply a longer stroke to modern engines for better torque characteristics, the resultant lower revving ability does not deliver the sporty character required of a Porsche motor.
In any case, whatever torque is lost by the mechanical advantage of a long stroke is easily made up for by the forced aspiration. With a 9.8:1 compression ratio, the 3.0 litre engine makes 340 hp between 5,500 and 6,500rpm, with 460 Nm of torque from 1,450 to 5,000rpm.
The specific output of 113.4 hp/litre is good, if a little modest for a high performance turbo motor, suggesting plenty of headroom for future upgrades, especially as this motor is significantly detuned from the Panamera S installation where it makes 420hp and 520Nm of torque.

That said, for long-term reliability as well as product differentiation, Porsche decided that the Turbo model should start life with a bigger engine. As 3.6 litres is a familiar displacement in the Porsche 911 flat-six engine family, it is no coincidence that the Macan V6 Turbo motor should also share these iconic numbers. With its longer throw crank and connecting rods, the 3,604cc M4635 engine derivative has a bore and stroke of 96.0 x 83.0mm, and ends up with exactly 4.0 cc more than the iconic 3,600cc 911 flat-six.
Running a higher compression ratio of 10.5:1, the inherently more torque rich motor produces 400hp at 6,000rpm with 550 Nm of torque between 1,350 and 5,500rpm. Once again in a very mild state of tune, its specific output of 110.9 hp/litre is even lower than its smaller stable mate. This motor should be capable of an easy 500hp with 650Nm of torque, but that would no doubt send the marketing department into a tizzy.

Source: 2015 Porsche Macan S vs S Diesel vs Macan Turbo Review - GTspirit

·
Banned
618 Posts
That's what mr. yrralis1 thinks - if you don't spend your annual income on a car then you should drive a bicycle. And if you install cobb tune or DIY - you are compensating.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Aren't you compensating in your macan turbo for what you could potentially have in Urus?

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aren't you compensating in your macan turbo for what you could potentially have in Urus?
Not at all. There are even faster less expensive SUVs like the Alfa . Its just about performance but that is what the S owners are pounding cake over on the thread . My entire first post didn't even discuss performance but as long as they did I was more than happy to point out that their arguments of a tuned car Vs a stock car was apples to oranges .

My first post hinged on reliability !!!!! No recalls on the 2020 car is one big deal.
My second point was on price and how the base car is a great value even for a person trying to save .
My third point was about how the 2018 car was a reliable choice of used (which btw you told the guy on the other thread not to buy)

I didn't even discuss the S in my FIRST POST .. other than. to say if someone wanted to really see my view on it they have 6 years of my posts to see it !!!!!!

I have no desire for an Exotic SUV . My dealership even sells exotic cars . I have been around them for years . There are other reasons why I buy a Porsche . They are understated , elegant , classy and can be driven every day with some comforts .

THAT WAS MY POINT ALL ALONG !!!! A PERSON CAN BUY A NEW BASE MACAN AND STILL FEEL LIKE HE HAS A GREAT RELIABLE CAR !
!!! He doesn't have to buy a used car that had known issues , recalls, and concerns which are well documented on this forum .

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
They know how to make money . That S paid for the new Gt3 .
The "everything is an option" takes a 60K Macan S (up from 49K in 2015) and can turn it into an 80K car with just a few beeping tech gadgets and wheels that are a fraction of the price on a Turbo or GTS .

You will never get me to like the S . Its only makes me love the others even more !!!
Dude, I never try to get anyone to like anything...they are called 'individuals' for a reason, but you darn sure seem on a quest to get everyone to agree with you; count me as one that definitely doesn't. Good luck on your quest...LMAO.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me try again. ---- This is a question to anyone with a new generation car (except the new S ).
This is just for those with the 4 cylinder Base or 2.9 (GTS or Turbo) .

Please list any RELIABILITY problems . Its an open question . That is where I was going with this thread .

1 - 20 of 124 Posts