Porsche Macan Forum banner
221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,138 Posts
I don't know exactly how long it took to fix it. I left my car there for a couple of days. They had to do a diagnosis and report back to Porsche headquarters before the final repair.

So far so good, no more error messages.

Reactions: yorker and WHT TGR

·
Registered
914 Posts
Arghhhhh!!!! That didn't last long. On my way to pick up my plates, the dreaded message came back on screen. So I picked up the plates and in it goes again to see what else is wrong...

Meanwhile got a Panamera loaner. It is a Panamera Edition. Not even close to the GTS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got the vacuum leak, I think. Ask your dealer to test the turbo boost. The symptom is no turbo boost at all.
Woohooo!!!!! IT IS FIXED!!! Now it IS really, really fixed!

Turned out that the problem was indeed a clamp to the air intake hose. Thanks to @jzwu I was able to give them the hint of what to look for, and indeed they found it right away.

Before, right after hitting 5k+ RPMs the engine would go into Reduced Power mode. Also, I never saw the Turbo Boost go over 14 PSI. Ever. Now, I can feel the engine revving much faster, and accelerating in Sport mode from stand still it quickly goes up to redline (7K RPM) with a full 17 PSI Boost, and it is VERY VERY NOTICEABLE!

I feel like my GTS just went from being a kitten to a full tiger.

I am actually happy that this error popped-up, otherwise I would never have known that the engine was not performing in all its capacity.

And thank you all for this incredible source of valuable information that is Macanforum.com

Wooohoo!!!

·
Premium Member
7,138 Posts
Good news! But I am disappointed that Porsche still has this issue in production after so long. :-\

Reactions: Jammer

·
Registered
914 Posts
Good news! But I am disappointed that Porsche still has this issue in production after so long. :-\

I think this was slightly different as it was not the vacuum line, but the air intake. It looks like it was completely off... They had to re-attach and tighten the clamp.

·
Premium Member
7,138 Posts
I see. Then it should be an easy fix.

All hose problems. ;)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yes, it was extremely quick fix. About 2 hours total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trusted

·
Registered
914 Posts
Glad you got this resolved. But still pretty pathetic performance by your dealer if I may say so. Did anybody even open the hood when you showed up the first time?

I guess they did, because they updated the software the first time. I don't really blame them as they had good reason to believe that this was a software glitch as that is what was reported by the DME. Once that was ruled out, they went looking for a physical defect.

I actually preferred they do that and try a software fix before they start dismantling my car unnecessarily.

Reactions: Jammer

·
Premium Member
7,138 Posts
@RJMcInnis is right!

My dealer test drove my car while I was still at the dealership. The tech came back saying there was no turbo boost at all.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The problem here is that after the first software update the turbo boost came back, albeit at 14 PSI, and the error message was cleared. It wasn't until the message came back again that they realized something else was causing the problem, and thankfully, it was a very quick and easy fix to re-attach the air intake hose.

Now I'm LOVING the 17 PSI boost! I honestly can't imagine needing any more power than this, as it is very easy to accelerate while diving on the highway and within a couple of seconds being at near license-losing speed.

Reactions: gaf

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Dealer did an intake tear-down and fixed a clamp for the vacuum hose. I was told it would be expensive without the warranty.
Glad they fixed it right. Any work on a Porsche after warranty will be expensive. Good reason to trade up in 4/ over 50k.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm surprised these under torqued bolts are still making their way though production.
Such a small item that could easily be addressed in the assembly line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My one month old Macan GTS (980mi) just displayed the "Reduced Engine Output" error message. It occurred after backing off the throttle following a strong acceleration. The engine had little power and the boost gauge stayed at 0 PSI.

Following a shutdown and restart, the error message was not present, but maximum boost possible was only 9 PSI (normally 16).

Since the Porsche dealer couldn't look at the car for several days, I took a look myself and found the large rubber hose connecting to the inlet of the throttle body to be not fully seated. The clamp was somewhat loose. I re-seated the hose, tightened the clamp and went for a test ride. No error message and 16 PSI of boost possible.

It is likely that the loose clamp allowed the hose to be displaced under high boost pressure, resulting in an air leak.

Hopefully, this will solve the problem permanently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Late to the party here. I was driving my '17 Macan Turbo (9,000 miles) a few weeks ago in sports mode. I was accelerating hard from a standing start (not launch control) and the Macan stayed in second gear (no upshift) and I received the dreaded "Reduced Power. Visit Workshop. Driving Permitted" message. I pulled over and turned it off. Everything reset and I was able to drive normally. Fast forward to yesterday. Again in sport mode, this time on the highway doing about 65-70 mph. I accelerate to pass a few slower cars. Same thing. Engine spools up in 4th but will not upshift and I get the same warning. Again I find s place to pull over and turn off the engine. Everything clears and driving is normal.

I do a search of this forum looking for possible causes. I read a few threads and I am hoping it is just the lose vacuum hose. I drive up to my dealer. They do a quick check and tell me it isn't the loose hose issue and they are keeping it for further testing. I do have a 19 Cayenne as a loaner. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 p0299 turbo under boost

Had a loss of power followed by a whistling noise that accompanied the accelerator pressure. My buddy plugged in his diagnostic coder and the above was the result. Anybody have a similar issue, and/or an idea of what this repair may cost? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
You most likely have had the boot on the intake slip off.
Pop off the engine cover....and look for the large rubber intake , and retainer ring.
Put it back together.

There are pics on the forum here somewhere...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Had a loss of power followed by a whistling noise that accompanied the accelerator pressure. My buddy plugged in his diagnostic coder and the above was the result. Anybody have a similar issue, and/or an idea of what this repair may cost? Thanks in advance!
You have a boost leak most likely and the turbos are spooling with no pressure build up. You could damage the turbos! On mine it was the drivers side lower intercooler hose that popped off. Hose had a nub on the connector that was worn. They usually drain this pipe of oil during an oil change to empty any blow by. For me I pushed the pipe on again and was able to limp it around without getting into boost until I was able to install the new hose.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Ttmacan , I have never checked those before. Did you need to drop the lower front cover for access ?
Any pics ?
Thanks !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 257 Posts