Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone gotten this error message? I was driving home just now and this message came out "Reduced engine output. Please see workshop. Okay to drive." After that message, I noted that the engine output did seem to be decreased. When I got home, I turned the engine off and then turned it back on. The message disappeared and the engine had the full power feel again.

Needless to say, I'm going to take the car in tomorrow morning to see what happened.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Had a lineup of wisecracks, then decided maybe they weren't so wise. :|

Maybe it was a protective thing, something wasn't right so it said 'Whoa Dude, let's take it easy until someone can look under my hood'.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe that was the message I got in my Cayman when engine ignition coils went out on one side of the flat 6. I'd definitely have it towed into the dealer to have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Your car went into limp mode. It does this to protect itself from damage, I recommend taking it in to the dealer. They can read the code since you received an error message.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took my car in and I just got an update from the dealership. It seems that there were three problems that came up when they flashed the CPU--

1) Radiator
2) Fuel tank low level warning sensor
3) Turbo issue.

They don't know exactly what's wrong and they're still investigating. I miss my car. We're supposed to go away for the weekend and I'm hoping that I have it back by then. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Louie Zoi and Musa

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
Good luck!

3 issues at once on a new car is rare. Hope it is just some kind of software/system issue.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck!

3 issues at once on a new car is rare. Hope it is just some kind of software/system issue.

And just my luck, it had to be me. :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
I took my car in and I just got an update from the dealership. It seems that there were three problems that came up when they flashed the CPU--

1) Radiator
2) Fuel tank low level warning sensor
3) Turbo issue.

They don't know exactly what's wrong and they're still investigating. I miss my car. We're supposed to go away for the weekend and I'm hoping that I have it back by then. Wish me luck.
You got lucky, it could have happened while you were away. Glass is half full.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So an update on the "Reduced engine output."

The dealership has sent the diagnostic information to the Motherland and we are awaiting an answer as to what the next step is. My car has been sitting in the service yard for three days now without any work being done on it. The service manager states that there's probably a leak in one of the turbo systems and they're waiting to hear back for an answer on what to replace. I hope that it's not a long journey where they try one piece of the turbo system at a time. I'd rather that they replace the whole thing and be done with it in one fell swoop.

Oh well. At least, I got a new loaner vehicle. When I brought the car in they were out of Porsches so I had to settle for a Toyota Camera. That was fine for two days. It's not fine over the weekend and probably longer. They gave me a Cayenne and I'm even happier now that I got the Macan. The Cayenne is bloated and uglier than the Macan.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got my car back today. The result of one week of my car in the shop---NO fix. They ran tests, tested the pressure of the turbo system, drove it 80+ miles and could not find the problem. They gave the car back to me this morning and told me to keep them updated.

Well, I was driving back to the hospital after dinner tonight to see a patient when on the freeway, I get the same message "DECREASED ENGINE OUTPUT." The engine seemed less torquey. I parked, turned the engine off and then back on and the warning was not visible same as before. Needless to say, I'm calling the service rep tomorrow morning first thing, but I'm not bringing it in until Monday. The warning stated "Safe to Drive" and I'll be damned if they have it for the weekend without doing anything to it.

When does the lemon law kick in? I think after the third attempt...

·
Registered
152 Posts
So I got my car back today. The result of one week of my car in the shop---NO fix. They ran tests, tested the pressure of the turbo system, drove it 80+ miles and could not find the problem. They gave the car back to me this morning and told me to keep them updated.

Well, I was driving back to the hospital after dinner tonight to see a patient when on the freeway, I get the same message "DECREASED ENGINE OUTPUT." The engine seemed less torquey. I parked, turned the engine off and then back on and the warning was not visible same as before. Needless to say, I'm calling the service rep tomorrow morning first thing, but I'm not bringing it in until Monday. The warning stated "Safe to Drive" and I'll be damned if they have it for the weekend without doing anything to it.

Sucks; had something similar in my 335, took multiple dealer tries to diagnose… good luck

·
Registered
694 Posts
Seems to me from what you have stated that perhaps the first time around they might have concluded it to have been a possible fluke (a false indicator or something). I bet this time it raises there concerns and will get more attention and they should be able to fix it. Hopefully!

·
Registered
694 Posts
BTW-I stay alert for such disabling issues and really appreciate the macan forum posts from members who describe issues they have experienced. I totally understand that we are dealing with numerous parts that can break, through no ones fault.

In my situation, my wife was concerned at us trading our BMW for a Porsche because of dealer availability. The nearest BMW dealership to me is 100 miles away but the nearest Porsche dealership is over 350 miles from my home. I know its a risk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As I have experienced a similar 'Reduced Engine Performance' (REP) situation with my Freelander 2, I know how frustrating this can be.

I experienced this REP thing at the worst possible time, i.e. after having driven 1/6th of a 1200km (750 miles) family trip to our holiday destination. The maximum speed decreased to 80km/h (50mph) downhill and 30km/h (19mph) uphill. Driving that slow becomes very tiring after a few hours and at times also very dangereous, because other drivers do not expect you to have so little power (to accelerate).

To make a long story short: It took several visits to the dealer over a period of a few months before they finally found the culprit. The intercooler tube had to be replaced as there was some oil/grease inside of it.

This whole REP thing prompted me to look for a new car. That is why I ordered a Macan a few months ago (ETA March). In the hope that a car that costs nearly twice as much as the FL2 and is made by a German company would not have this kind of problems...

Anyway, I hope they will locate and fix your 'reduced engine ouput' problem ASAP, i.e. next week.

·
Registered
60 Posts
CA lemon laws are pretty favorable towards the consumer. Most lawyers will take up the case pro bono because they get paid as part of the settlement. That said, here's what I have (having been through this with an E46 M3 I owned).

MANUFACTURER’S DUTY TO REPURCHASE OR REPLACE A VEHICLE
If the manufacturer or its representative in California is unable to service or repair a vehicle to conform to the applicable express warranties after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer must either replace or repurchase the vehicle.

REASONABLE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS
The California lemon law establishes a rebuttable presumption that a reasonable number of repair attempts have been made if, within 18 months from delivery to the first retail buyer/lessee or 18,000 miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first, one or more of the following occurs:
1. The same nonconformity results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the nonconformity has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the consumer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for repair;
2. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the consumer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for repair; or
3. The vehicle has been out of service more than 30 calendar days (cumulative) since delivery by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agent (such as an authorized dealer). The 30 day period is extended if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or agent.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
@d13kim a coworker just lemon lawed his Volvo S-60 due to a faulty transmission that they unbelievably kept trying to rebuild. Volvo gave them a brand new S-60 and paid off the 7k they owed on the lemon.
I'm sure Porsche will make it right. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts