Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
223K views 2K replies 305 participants last post by  KM20Turbo 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
I was just notified that my June delivery might not happen due to what looks like all Macan's will be required to eliminate 14-/18-way seats and move to 8-ways due to the fact that Seat Memory is affected by the semiconductor shortage.
I have been told that Porsche is trying to fulfill already placed customer orders and will install 8-ways in stock orders or new customer orders moving forward.
It might just be as short as a 2 month delay or it could be much longer, who knows?

Has anyone else been notified or heard about this?

#661 Ā·
does anyone else have actual build dates for there 2022 Macan S or GTS ?
I am wondering what is the first actual production date of the 2022 model year ?
or has it started already ?
In the UK and Australia they are already delivering cars. Were off this afternoon for a test drive in the new Gen3, so the factory is starting to churn them out.

#665 Ā·
Hi All, posted my review of the test drive of the S and pics here. Porsche Parramatta meet Sat 23 Oct 2021, 9:30am!

On the issue of semiconducter shortsges, my SE confirmed my car is being delivered without the subwoofer (Bose is standard on the S in Australia) and self levelling lights. Apparantly the dealer will fit it before the car is delivered to me. I assume the parts will arrive by airfreight, as my car takes nearly two months to get to Australia. At least its been built and its on its way šŸ„³

#673 Ā·
We had an area (it was motorcycles, not cars) we referred to as "the hospital" and we placed all the bikes that were awaiting parts.

It's a real pain.

First . . as you observe . . . even inside, they get covered in dust rather than go to "rolls" (roll testing, the first time the bike gets about 8 oz of gas and is started and all systems tested) then to Nate and Dez in crating and off to the loading dock, protected in plastic, to be loaded, transported and to be uncrated by a dealer.

Second . . you have to keep detailed track of what each bike needs. In some cases, the whole population needed the same thing. In other cases, we had . . for example . . 175 3-prong flashers and 115 front isolators . . . so some bike needed one thing, other something else . . some both. Imagine if you are short 250 left front fork legs.

Third . . . try stopping your golf swing midway . . . continuing it . . see what happens to your tee ball. You get the idea.

Fourth . . . when the parts come in they arrive, most times, as partial orders as folks desperately try to clean the mess up and you get left with the triage of sorting ordered bikes and preferential dealers. For fun . . imagine digging a single motorcycle (after you check a couple hundred VIN's to find it) from a group that looks like a herd of Buffalo in the days of the old West. You get the idea.

Anyway . . . it's part of the reason I find my interest in the 2022 a bit diminished. I am assured that cars "are being built and are all on order and leaving the dealership the day they arrive". I do not believe that. I have asked the dealer I was at the other day "Is Porsche currently building cars?" . . he offered me a Croissant and told me he'd have an allocation for a GTS.

Anyway . . . we are certainly in odd times. I've got a couple thousand shipping containers from from China that I paid a lot of money, in advance, for and am getting the "pay the extra $17,000 per or lose it to someone who will". If you have a very critical project (think the lights in LA) and want your ship freed from that mess in the Port of Long Beach . . you better get ready to be innovative and toss out 7 figure sums on the spur of the moment.

I'm happy with my meager little Macan Base for now.

#674 Ā·
We had an area (it was motorcycles, not cars) we referred to as "the hospital" and we placed all the bikes that were awaiting parts.

It's a real pain.

First . . as you observe . . . even inside, they get covered in dust rather than go to "rolls" (roll testing, the first time the bike gets about 8 oz of gas and is started and all systems tested) then to Nate and Dez in crating and off to the loading dock, protected in plastic, to be loaded, transported and to be uncrated by a dealer.

Second . . you have to keep detailed track of what each bike needs. In some cases, the whole population needed the same thing. In other cases, we had . . for example . . 175 3-prong flashers and 115 front isolators . . . so some bike needed one thing, other something else . . some both. Imagine if you are short 250 left front fork legs.

Third . . . try stopping your golf swing midway . . . continuing it . . see what happens to your tee ball. You get the idea.

Fourth . . . when the parts come in they arrive, most times, as partial orders as folks desperately try to clean the mess up and you get left with the triage of sorting ordered bikes and preferential dealers. For fun . . imagine digging a single motorcycle (after you check a couple hundred VIN's to find it) from a group that looks like a herd of Buffalo in the days of the old West. You get the idea.

Anyway . . . it's part of the reason I find my interest in the 2022 a bit diminished. I am assured that cars "are being built and are all on order and leaving the dealership the day they arrive". I do not believe that. I have asked the dealer I was at the other day "Is Porsche currently building cars?" . . he offered me a Croissant and told me he'd have an allocation for a GTS.

Anyway . . . we are certainly in odd times. I've got a couple thousand shipping containers from from China that I paid a lot of money, in advance, for and am getting the "pay the extra $17,000 per or lose it to someone who will". If you have a very critical project (think the lights in LA) and want your ship freed from that mess in the Port of Long Beach . . you better get ready to be innovative and toss out 7 figure sums on the spur of the moment.

I'm happy with my meager little Macan Base for now.
Yeahā€¦ I can only imagine. In my former life before medical, it was logistics for 10 years. I cannot imagine having a job in logistics right nowā€¦. back in my day, every day was basically like getting kicked in the cojonesā€¦ trying to fathom what todayā€™s scene entails scares the daylights out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#682 Ā·
I asked my dealer for the build schedule for my 2022 Macan S. Here is what I got. Dates are Planned, expected and actual respectively (left to right)

View attachment 247426
I hate to say it but my schedule looked that clean and tidy back in May when I ordered my 2021 GTS. Well, fast forward to now and I could almost publish a book with printouts of how many times the dates pushed and pushed and pushed.

It would be awesome if yours stays this way so keep us posted with any updates as that will be a good indication for others that have placed demand orders or the rare ones that actually have true orders in the system set to build. That said, just do not be surprised if things start shifting to later dates at some point. I hope not and I know I speak for everyone here when I say we wish nothing more then a smooth timely process for your new ride.

#683 Ā·
Wow, faster than mine.
Interestingly - you are showing a one day / single day production from the V260 - Enter Body Shop, to the V300 Completion, mine is more like 7 days
it looks like you are missing the V311 Enter Leipzig and the V312 Exit Leipzig dates.
something to check..
That said the shipping dates looks very good. I ordered in September, but my V250 fixed date is not until November 26th

#686 Ā·
I saw in another forum that a customer was told by their SA the Bose parts may take up to 6 weeks to get delivered to dealers. As this is a stop sale, that can mean an additional 6 week wait.

Anyone know why the bose parts are causing a stop sale? It shouldn't affect the cars safety or ability to run, or am I wrong?

#690 Ā·
I am trying to learn more. I spent a peortionof my career in the vehicle manufacturing world (motorcycles) and recall that Federal Law precluded a manufacturer shipping any vehicle that was not 100% complete. The tales, when I did this back in the 90's" had to do with something Dodge had done years ago. This applied to ANY part . . . down to a $0.07 sticker or plugging in a turn signal flasher.

But . . . .

I see that both Ford and General Motors are considering shipping vehicles (they REALLY . . like Porsche . . .need the revenue from their bread and butter high margin vehicles like the Macan) that are not complete.

From my own experience . . .it would scare the dickens out of my to have a vehicle that was not 100 completed in a single manufacturing effort. Trying to go back and "finish" introduces all sorts of concerns. It's the reason, I'll sit out 2022 with regard to Porsche.

Here are a couple articles . . . there are hundreds.

#691 Ā·
There seems to be a lot of variability. For example, it appears that my 2021 GTS will arrive a few weeks prior to one ordered with a lock date two months earlier, and an S ordered after mine has already arrived. I donā€™t know specifics other than the price point is about the same and we both have the package with Bose so that isnā€™t the difference. Of course, who knows when the GTSā€™s will actually show up. Iā€™m just happy its on its way. The dealership currently has something like 3 new cars in total, and its not a small dealer.

#692 Ā·
Some of this may be the production strategy used.

We, for example, "jelly beaned" . . . meaning that we mixed up what came down the line . . . may be a Base . . . 2 GTS . . . S . . Base. . . Base . . . S . . . GTS and so forth.

We used very sophisticated software, that we designed and used in house . . . and knew the precise. . . to the coned . . time that each station should take on the line . . . . if it went over, even by a second, the station came up red don Mike's screen and an algorithm began to run. The first thing I wanted to know was "person or process" . . . did Scott have a long night last night and is sluggish or does the oil pump housing not fit quite right and took 3 seconds longer . . . once I isolate the "person/process" I start to compare it to ELVIS (still top secret) and search a massive database of every recall . . . every customer complaint through the dealer network, every letter we've gotten and every thing we've gleaned from internet discussion boards.

The key to "gum balling" was to eliminate "habits" that creep into repetitive tasks and humans try to "improve" with each iteration.

Anyway . . . don't get me started . . . . I'll go for hours.

:)

#699 Ā·
I got an update from my SA that theyā€™re getting zero information from Porsche HQ about when the self levelling lights part will be delivered to dealerships. However, he wasnā€™t mentioning the Bose system anymore, so Iā€™m hoping that was installed. Apparently they already have 30 cars delivered to the dealership that canā€™t be passed on to customers.

They canā€™t provide a loaner car as they donā€™t have enough for all of those customers. First world problem for sure, but itā€™s starting to be a bit annoying. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

#708 Ā·
Mine as well. All same time line from order to delivery except last update I got on dealer eta was 12/10 even though itā€™s due into SD on the 12th and my dealer is just two hours from the port. I hope thatā€™s wrong and itā€™s sooner at dealer.

Our two GTSā€™s are probably talking to one another right now waiting to see us as much as we are them. Haha.

#710 Ā· (Edited)
The new Macan took the previous GTSā€™s engine and the new GTS has taken the previous Turboā€™s engine.

Many people on here have ordered the new S in this forum and discussed it at length. Hint: thereā€™s delays generally across the board.

I myself ordered an S and itā€™s currently at the dealer with a stop sale, no clear answer when I will be able to accept it.

#721 Ā·
I have become really worried about our ordered 2021 Macan Turbo. It arrived in Houston on 10/22 and was supposed to leave for our dealer shortly thereafter. But I am now told it will be in Houston for nearly a month (in Port Handlingā€”Quality Action mode) before heading for the dealer late in November. This late November date is, I think, the third one I have been givenā€”first it was 10/22, then 11/05 and now 11/19. Any ideas regarding what has happened and/or is happening to our Macan at Houston? I have visions of it having been wrecked, dropped into the water, etc.

God bless you,
Tom

#722 Ā· (Edited)
I haven't heard anything specific, but it's possible your car is missing an electronic chip, which they will install at the port once they get some. The car has to be complete before they can release it. It's actually not uncommon for this to occur when there are parts shortages. Many 2017 model year Macan's were held up at the port due to a shortage of PCM units, for example.

Have a look at this thread for some examples of current delays......

2021 - 2022 Macan delivery delays - semiconductor shortage

Hope you get your car sooner than later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.