Porsche Macan Forum banner
161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,361 Posts
Not an issue for me other than inconvenience to get work done at some future point. Should I ask for something on delivery? Suggestions?
Anything you get would likely come from the dealer pocket, not PCNA. Its not their fault. Maybe blame the reason for the shortage and not those who had nothing to do with it?

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
53 Posts
Anything you get would likely come from the dealer pocket, not PCNA. Its not their fault. Maybe blame the reason for the shortage and not those who had nothing to do with it?
So if there are other issues with my delivery, that aren’t the dealers fault who should I go to? i think most people when they buy something and there is a problem they will look to the retailer they bought from to rectify any issues (ie. missing parts) even though if it’s not their fault. I also don’t think the Porsche dealers are hurting that bad due to the shortage that they can’t afford some customer goodwill. S**t happens. I’m getting my vehicle 2 months late and without a feature I ordered. I’m fine with that but the dealer should own it even if they are not to blame, which I agree they aren’t. IMO that’s good retail practice, take full responsibility for what you are delivering to your customer. Whether they throw me a bone or not is entirely up to them and I won’t feel bad for asking.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
243 Posts
I think @SD00 has a valid argument. I don't think it's a matter of blame. The purchasing contract is with the dealer. As such, pursuing compensation, in whatever form that's acceptable to the purchaser, would be done through the dealer. It's then up to the dealer to pass that cost on to PCNA if the dealer so chooses.

Not an easy call for the purchaser to make but I think it's fair to have a civilized discussion about compensation with the dealer and see where it goes.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
So if there are other issues with my delivery, that aren’t the dealers fault who should I go to? i think most people when they buy something and there is a problem they will look to the retailer they bought from to rectify any issues (ie. missing parts) even though if it’s not their fault. I also don’t think the Porsche dealers are hurting that bad due to the shortage that they can’t afford some customer goodwill. S**t happens. I’m getting my vehicle 2 months late and without a feature I ordered. I’m fine with that but the dealer should own it even if they are not to blame, which I agree they aren’t. IMO that’s good retail practice, take full responsibility for what you are delivering to your customer. Whether they throw me a bone or not is entirely up to them and I won’t feel bad for asking.
I think @SD00 has a valid argument. I don't think it's a matter of blame. The purchasing contract is with the dealer. As such, pursuing compensation, in whatever form that's acceptable to the purchaser, would be done through the dealer. It's then up to the dealer to pass that cost on to PCNA if the dealer so chooses.

Not an easy call for the purchaser to make but I think it's fair to have a civilized discussion about compensation with the dealer and see where it goes.
I feel if the car is built it’s a take it or leave it decision . The price should be adjusted for a manual column if you decide not to decline . There’s no way I would accept a ( paraphrase ) “whenever”’ as a deadline . For me it would not become an issue of blame or compensation . Instead I see the choice is now and the decision is about moving forward ( with or without that built car ) .

·
Registered
124 Posts
OP - you're overthinking it, do what you feel comfortable doing and honestly, it does not hurt to ask for compensation. I agree with both @Patch and @SD00, it is good business practice for the dealer to step in because the order was not 100% correct, regardless of fault. The dealer can work with PCNA for reimbursement or whatever. Most dealers do have wiggle room to compensate the customer to some degree with manufacture backing.

Easiest compensation will probably not be straight monetary, but rather compensating a service or discount on accessories, etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
When something similar happened to me in May (TPMS delivered without some microchip) the dealer got me a Cayenne for the whole week and a $250 gift certificate for parts or whatever.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When something similar happened to me in May (TPMS delivered without some microchip) the dealer got me a Cayenne for the whole week and a $250 gift certificate for parts or whatever.
There you go, OP! If you don't ask, the answer is always no. And I would think TPMS is much less of an inconvenience than your steering column issue.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
53 Posts
I feel if the car is built it’s a take it or leave it decision . The price should be adjusted for a manual column if you decide not to decline . There’s no way I would accept a ( paraphrase ) “whenever”’ as a deadline . For me it would not become an issue of blame or compensation . Instead I see the choice is now and the decision is about moving forward ( with or without that built car ) .
I definitely want the car and will consider taking it as is with a price adjustment as you suggested but would have preferred the option as my wife will drive the car occasionally 😱.

Should I have any concern about adding the electronic steering column as a dealer install afterwards?

·
Super Moderator
10,361 Posts
I’m getting my vehicle 2 months late and without a feature I ordered.
You said you wanted to keep the car six years. Think Big picture ... Its one thing if they offer something on their own. Its another to ask for something because you feel "entitled".

Imagine you used to own a Porsche Sports Car. You found it impractical but thought it fun. Lets say you wanted cargo space, maybe throw the gulf clubs in, and for travel in bad weather, or long trips? You spent much time making changes in the configurator. You were "excited", couldn't wait. And then, bad news. 😧 Sound familiar?

Those trips? Forget about the roof rails, delayed. The color you chose, you really, really liked, not only were you not going to get it, but they were just going to build what they wanted and you have no say. You ordered that Pano Roof? Not getting, it. More delays. So your mad? They ruined your fun? The anticipation built and ... depression. 😥 Did this happen? Yeah, it did. I wonder how many buyers this effected? And did so as a "first impression" on launch of the vehicle. How many people did this piss off? Emissions delays? How many months were Macans delayed for certification after Dieselgate? How many were compensated for those months of delays? Were they upset?

In this thread a mechanic put the wrong oil in the car. @CourtneyNYC advise was wise:

"Choose your battles and enjoy the Porsche"

PAG has said they will retrofit the part. Maybe they will offer something on their own. After the Japanese earthquake, parts for the PCM were delayed. I think in the end, PAG provided some goodwill. When the PCM fails, they don't just replace a part, they replace the entire unit. You know the cost out of warranty? If your worried about $5K for the Burmester option, you really don't want the PCM, for example, to fail out of warranty without at least some "goodwill".

Since you owned a 996, surely you know about IMS issues or the thousands upon thousands of posts in this forum about transfer cases and oil leaks, right?

Although this might sound like a big deal today, a couple of months after you get the part retrofitted, you might not remember, but your dealer might. Is this worth making a stink over for immediate gratification when you intend to keep this car far out of warranty? Think carefully.

Know ALL the delays in the Macan history. They are easy to find, just search here. Know the options Porsche has changed on customers without them having any say. Know all the emissions delays, all the complaints in this forum about similar events. Take into account your intent for the vehicle, how long to keep it. Read carefully the extended warranty threads and why people spend $6K+ to buy extended warranties. Learn it all.

and when you decide to go complain and want "goodwill", think carefully about this battle and its effects long after you forgot all about it. One day your PCM could die and you might want some REAL goodwill and not some token gift certificate. Who do you think helps you get that goodwill? How will they remember you? Have you ever had a major Porsche part fail, waited to hear the cost to repair, and wonder if PCNA was going to give you any goodwill?

"Chose your battles"

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
966 Posts
I highly doubt the production manager in Leipzig was thinking of me when he decided to produce my order, more likely thinking about getting all the MY21 orders through and get ready for MY22 production. Given it’s a 2 hr drive to my Porsche Centre this is at at least a day and maybe 2 days of my time. Since I’m buying a $100k vehicle I thought it would be not be unfair to ask for some compensation for my inconvenience so was actually looking for some suggestions on what might be a reasonable ask.
If you didn’t buy the all weather mats and they don’t throw them in (a number of dealers do, or did) at least see if you can get those. Normally I’d suggest asking for an extra oil change since that costs them less than it’s worth to you, but if it’s a 2 hour drive you aren’t likely to use them for oil changes. Maybe some Porsche swag like coffee mugs?

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
966 Posts
You said you wanted to keep the car six years. Think Big picture ... Its one thing if they offer something on their own. Its another to ask for something because you feel "entitled".

Imagine you used to own a Porsche Sports Car. You found it impractical but thought it fun. Lets say you wanted cargo space, maybe throw the gulf clubs in, and for travel in bad weather, or long trips? You spent much time making changes in the configurator. You were "excited", couldn't wait. And then, bad news. 😧 Sound familiar?

Those trips? Forget about the roof rails, delayed. The color you chose, you really, really liked, not only were you not going to get it, but they were just going to build what they wanted and you have no say. You ordered that Pano Roof? Not getting, it. More delays. So your mad? They ruined your fun? The anticipation built and ... depression. 😥 Did this happen? Yeah, it did. I wonder how many buyers this effected? And did so as a "first impression" on launch of the vehicle. How many people did this piss off? Emissions delays? How many months were Macans delayed for certification after Dieselgate? How many were compensated for those months of delays? Were they upset?

In this thread a mechanic put the wrong oil in the car. @CourtneyNYC advise was wise:

"Choose your battles and enjoy the Porsche"

PAG has said they will retrofit the part. Maybe they will offer something on their own. After the Japanese earthquake, parts for the PCM were delayed. I think in the end, PAG provided some goodwill. When the PCM fails, they don't just replace a part, they replace the entire unit. You know the cost out of warranty? If your worried about $5K for the Burmester option, you really don't want the PCM, for example, to fail out of warranty without at least some "goodwill".

Since you owned a 996, surely you know about IMS issues or the thousands upon thousands of posts in this forum about transfer cases and oil leaks, right?

Although this might sound like a big deal today, a couple of months after you get the part retrofitted, you might not remember, but your dealer might. Is this worth making a stink over for immediate gratification when you intend to keep this car far out of warranty? Think carefully.

Know ALL the delays in the Macan history. They are easy to find, just search here. Know the options Porsche has changed on customers without them having any say. Know all the emissions delays, all the complaints in this forum about similar events. Take into account your intent for the vehicle, how long to keep it. Read carefully the extended warranty threads and why people spend $6K+ to buy extended warranties. Learn it all.

and when you decide to go complain and want "goodwill", think carefully about this battle and its effects long after you forgot all about it. One day your PCM could die and you might want some REAL goodwill and not some token gift certificate. Who do you think helps you get that goodwill? How will they remember you? Have you ever had a major Porsche part fail, waited to hear the cost to repair, and wonder if PCNA was going to give you any goodwill?

"Chose your battles"
The dealer is not a person, it’s an entity. People should not have any more loyalty to a dealer than they should to an employer (very little to none). It’s a business transaction, nothing more.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
53 Posts
"Chose your battles"
Thanks for thoughtful reply but I really don’t think this is that big a deal that I need to consider all the things you mention. There’s no battle plan, just a question to my SA, “Given this is going to cost me a couple of days to bring the car in and then pick it up, what do you think about throwing in some winter mats with delivery?” He says “Let me see what I can do or sorry we can’t.“ I don’t think I’ll be burning any bridges with this approach.

·
Super Moderator
10,361 Posts
Thanks for thoughtful reply but I really don’t think this is that big a deal that I need to consider all the things you mention. There’s no battle plan, just a question to my SA, “Given this is going to cost me a couple of days to bring the car in and then pick it up, what do you think about throwing in some winter mats with delivery?” He says “Let me see what I can do or sorry we can’t.“ I don’t think I’ll be burning any bridges with this approach.
It sounded more like you thought it was a big deal.

Porsche AG, and likely PCNA, wants a lifetime relationship. Its not just a business transaction. For example, read

They will know exactly what you are worth to them, their profit, how many new cars you buy, and how much you spend on service with them. It is the dealer who will go to bat FOR you if you ever need "real" goodwill and not a token $100 bill thrown at you. If something serious breaks, you really do not what the dealer upset with you. That doesnt mean be walked on either.

As with the PCM delays after the earthquake, it would not surprise me if when this is over, PAG gives some more meaningful token to everyone effected. They did it before. They could do it again. After all, they want you to buy 5 more new Porsches. Read

"I never contacted Porsche or even complained to my dealer, ...

"We wish to recognize customers, such as yourself, who demonstrated exemplary patience and understanding in waiting an unusual length of time for your new vehicle..... I'm happy to advise you that your vehicle will receive a 2 year/20000 mile Porsche Scheduled Maintenance Plan at no charge.

We will be applying this plan automatically to your vehicle.......

Note: underlining is mine"

My point was not to antagonize the dealer over an insignificant event that while today seems very important to you, in the long wrong, could be costly.

Yes, don't burn bridges. If you ask, do it jokingly and let them offer. The saleman will likely have to pay for them. Mats aren't free. Nothing is free. Maybe he agrees. Maybe he gets upset. Salesmen come and go. He is isn't the important person here. Its the "entity", the dealership, the general manager, not sales. Sales has nothing to do with real "goodwill". When you need a new PDK in 6 years or a new PCM, your salesman will have nothing to do with getting goodwill, if he even still works there.

I would try to maintain an excellent relationship with the overall dealer because its they who will be of import to you since you intend to keep the car a long time.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It sounded more like you thought it was a big deal.

Porsche AG, and likely PCNA, wants a lifetime relationship. Its not just a business transaction. For example, read

They will know exactly what you are worth to them, their profit, how many new cars you buy, and how much you spend on service with them. It is the dealer who will go to bat FOR you if you ever need "real" goodwill and not a token $100 bill thrown at you. If something serious breaks, you really do not what the dealer upset with you. That doesnt mean be walked on either.

As with the PCM delays after the earthquake, it would not surprise me if when this is over, PAG gives some more meaningful token to everyone effected. They did it before. They could do it again. After all, they want you to buy 5 more new Porsches. Read

"I never contacted Porsche or even complained to my dealer, ...

"We wish to recognize customers, such as yourself, who demonstrated exemplary patience and understanding in waiting an unusual length of time for your new vehicle..... I'm happy to advise you that your vehicle will receive a 2 year/20000 mile Porsche Scheduled Maintenance Plan at no charge.

We will be applying this plan automatically to your vehicle.......

Note: underlining is mine"

My point was not to antagonize the dealer over an insignificant event that while today seems very important to you, in the long wrong, could be costly.

Yes, don't burn bridges. If you ask, do it jokingly and let them offer. The saleman will likely have to pay for them. Mats aren't free. Nothing is free. Maybe he agrees. Maybe he gets upset. Salesmen come and go. He is isn't the important person here. Its the "entity", the dealership, the general manager, not sales. Sales has nothing to do with real "goodwill". When you need a new PDK in 6 years or a new PCM, your salesman will have nothing to do with getting goodwill, if he even still works there.

I would try to maintain an excellent relationship with the overall dealer because its they who will be of import to you since you intend to keep the car a long time.
Nice gesture from Porsche. I'm sure most of us here recognize that a free 20K Service is not a "throwaway" like a cheap pen set.

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
1996 993 C4
14 Posts
Looks like my GTS is going to sit at the German port for the entire month of August waiting for TPMS and then ship out.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
I definitely want the car and will consider taking it as is with a price adjustment as you suggested but would have preferred the option as my wife will drive the car occasionally 😱.

Should I have any concern about adding the electronic steering column as a dealer install afterwards?
By the time they get to this you will have already adjusted to not having it . Plus time is money in terms of depreciation . I’d take the car as is abs keep the mo ey out of limbo .

·
Registered
2019 991.2 T, 2021 Macan S, 2021 BMW X7
4 Posts
Anyone in a similar situation or hearing that same thing from dealers?

‘21 Macan S at V260 status as of 7/9. Same status as of today 7/23.

My dealer is telling me Porsche hasn’t updated anything as chip shortage has gotten worse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone in a similar situation or hearing that same thing from dealers?

‘21 Macan S at V260 status as of 7/9. Same status as of today 7/23.

My dealer is telling me Porsche hasn’t updated anything as chip shortage has gotten worse.
Hey, same status (V260) since at least Jul 16.

·
Registered
2019 991.2 T, 2021 Macan S, 2021 BMW X7
4 Posts
Macan S order eta went from August 6 to November 12. Fixed on July 13. Deposit put down April 9. Vehicles coming in missing electrical components at the dealership.
Thanks for sharing.

161 - 180 of 202 Posts