Porsche Macan Forum banner
141 - 160 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Macan Sport Edition
160 Posts
Reached out to a dealer about a new build for Macan S and he scared the crap out of us saying there's a chip shortage and after June, we won't be able to select premium plus package on any cars due to ventilated seat shortage. Suggested to buy a lot one that he has ('21 white exterior with beige/black interior). Is it a usual scare tactics or is it gonna be hard pretty soon ?
I doubt they would turn away a custom order unless they had good reason to expect it might not be able to be fulfilled due to supply issues.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Reached out to a dealer about a new build for Macan S and he scared the crap out of us saying there's a chip shortage and after June, we won't be able to select premium plus package on any cars due to ventilated seat shortage. Suggested to buy a lot one that he has ('21 white exterior with beige/black interior). Is it a usual scare tactics or is it gonna be hard pretty soon ?
Classic scare tactic. Dealers do not know how the chip shortage will affect supply chain. Also, the chip shortage has been resolved and all options are on the table. This was confirmed by a few different dealers receiving internal memo from PCNA.

Remember, a dealers goal is to recognize sale as soon as possible. It is much easier to do this to move an on lot inventory, then wait 3+ months for an ordered car. Also keep in mind anytime a car is on lot, it is a cost for a dealer to keep it sitting.

If you really want to order your Macan to spec, go find another dealer that can take a custom order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like he's trying to get you to buy NOW rather than later, where the sale could possible fall through. I'd try another dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you guys! Been reaching out to all the dealership nearby and getting positive responses from dealerships 3 hrs away. The ones nearby seems to be playing tactics.Buying a new one guarantees the trim/packages to my specific liking..but when they say premium package plus will not be allowed to select anymore durle to shortage makes wanna compromise on lot cars itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I originally ordered a sapphire blue macan s. Then Porsche said blue no longer available. So I told the dealer to change to carrera white. I always liked the car in white. Later that night I told my wife I changed to white. She said why didn’t you get the green. I said I thought you wouldn’t like it. She replied that she really liked it. So call the dealer back and say change to green. He replied ok but that white car was locked for production the day before. So he had to find another allocation that he could change to green. He found one and said delivery would be about three weeks later. Late June. Ok go for it.
Now the chip shortage is holding up the production and delivery is delayed til October. But the dealer still had the white car on order so I switched back to the white car for delivery end of May early June. I don’t think I could take another four months of waiting.
update June 24. While waiting for the white car to arrive , I was cruising dealer inventories. I found a sapphire blue car in Ottawa. About 400 km away. It had every option I ordered except one, plus a few I hadn’t ordered. Interestingly the vin numbers are only 161 apart, so the two cars were likely made within six hours of each other, not sure why I couldn’t get blue in the first place.
There was a small price difference but it’s only money. So I asked the dealer if they could trade the white car for the blue one. I met some resistance but kept saying I wanted it . It took over a week before they actually asked if they could trade. Then a series of screw ups took over two weeks to actually get the car. It arrived today, so I expect to take delivery Monday. Very excited.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
update June 24. While waiting for the white car to arrive , I was cruising dealer inventories. I found a sapphire blue car in Ottawa. About 400 km away. It had every option I ordered except one, plus a few I hadn’t ordered. Interestingly the vin numbers are only 161 apart, so the two cars were likely made within six hours of each other, not sure why I couldn’t get blue in the first place.
There was a small price difference but it’s only money. So I asked the dealer if they could trade the white car for the blue one. I met some resistance but kept saying I wanted it . It took over a week before they actually asked if they could trade. Then a series of screw ups took over two weeks to actually get the car. It arrived today, so I expect to take delivery Monday. Very excited.
Absolute best color.

·
Registered
69 Posts
so what is happening to the green macan you have ordered in first place? I may try to trade it for my white gts order :D

Or did I just lost the track of the thread?

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
53 Posts
My 21 GTS was built last week and is at Port Emden waiting to get on vessel. Got a letter yesterday from Porsche saying…

Unfortunately, we need to inform you that due to the global semi-conductor shortage, your vehicle could be not be produced with a power adjustable steering column.
Rather than delaying your delivery, it was decided to produce your vehicle with a manual steering column adjustment function instead of an electrically adjustable one. Please rest assured that this is a temporary issue. As soon as the power adjustable steering column chips are available again, your Porsche Centre will retrofit the option onto your vehicle, of course at no charge.
Unfortunately, due to the continually evolving situation, we are not able to provide an ETA for this repair at this time, however we will communicate any updates as soon as they become available.
We thank you for your patience, loyalty, and understanding. In the meantime if you have any questions, please reach out to your Porsche Centre.​

Not an issue for me other than inconvenience to get work done at some future point. Should I ask for something on delivery? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
My 21 GTS was built last week and is at Port Emden waiting to get on vessel. Got a letter yesterday from Porsche saying…

Unfortunately, we need to inform you that due to the global semi-conductor shortage, your vehicle could be not be produced with a power adjustable steering column.
Rather than delaying your delivery, it was decided to produce your vehicle with a manual steering column adjustment function instead of an electrically adjustable one. Please rest assured that this is a temporary issue. As soon as the power adjustable steering column chips are available again, your Porsche Centre will retrofit the option onto your vehicle, of course at no charge.
Unfortunately, due to the continually evolving situation, we are not able to provide an ETA for this repair at this time, however we will communicate any updates as soon as they become available.
We thank you for your patience, loyalty, and understanding. In the meantime if you have any questions, please reach out to your Porsche Centre.​

Not an issue for me other than inconvenience to get work done at some future point. Should I ask for something on delivery? Suggestions?
I think you are lucky that they went ahead and built your car. Maybe you should consider giving your decision maker a bottle of wine.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I personally would ask for some sort of accommodation to this inconvenience. IMO it’s always better to have the factory go and install the power steering column from the beginning. I have heard stories of dealerships doing install that resulted in future rattles in terms of fit. Personally, i had an instance where my BMW needed to have a bee control module installed. This was done at the dealer and I had to go back multiple times for them to isolate a rattle when they completed the work.

Maybe ask them to include a service or a gift certificate to the Porsche store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
243 Posts

Interesting situation and a good question. I'm guessing that you would have the right to decline delivery and start again from scratch but that sounds excessive to me as I wouldn't anticipate any future problems. It also sounds like you're ok with the offered fix.

Pursuing compensation from the dealer puts that cost onto the dealer. Ask for a loaner while the work is being done of course but other than that...maybe they'll throw a bit of extra Porsche swag your way because you're a good customer.

Btw, the Porsche travel mugs with the attached crest are really nice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
I wonder if Porsche will extend the warranty period on the the installed item in case there are issues once the vehicles warranty runs out?

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
53 Posts
I think you are lucky that they went ahead and built your car. Maybe you should consider giving your decision maker a bottle of wine.
I highly doubt the production manager in Leipzig was thinking of me when he decided to produce my order, more likely thinking about getting all the MY21 orders through and get ready for MY22 production. Given it’s a 2 hr drive to my Porsche Centre this is at at least a day and maybe 2 days of my time. Since I’m buying a $100k vehicle I thought it would be not be unfair to ask for some compensation for my inconvenience so was actually looking for some suggestions on what might be a reasonable ask.

141 - 160 of 202 Posts