Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow @Dek, you must be having the issue more than me. Only had the issue a few times since getting the car in March, but it is every time I've dropped a rear seat passenger off. I rarely have more than 1 passenger in the car and if I do we're getting out together anyway. For me it's annoying, but not enough to get rid of the car, not even annoying enough for me to get to the dealer about it yet.

I'd think that there has to be sensors in the seats otherwise it wouldn't know when you'd had passengers. So they must be there, and if there, fixable. I'll try calling service dept today, we're in lockdown again so SA most prob not working.
There are no sensors in seats that’s why the car assumes there is someone in the car after they have alighted with their seat belt off hence the chime unless you switch car off and restart it assumes you are on a continuous journey. I had it in dealer twice they submitted a technical request and the reply from Porsche is it “working as designed”

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update - seems like alarm doesn't go off if you put the car into park. I'm not sure if you need to be in park before releasing the seat belt, or if it works to reset the alert system even if you release the seat belt while it's still in drive.

The manual should probably be more clear about it, but I guess I understand why they would say it's "working as intended" now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update - seems like alarm doesn't go off if you put the car into park. I'm not sure if you need to be in park before releasing the seat belt, or if it works to reset the alert system even if you release the seat belt while it's still in drive.

The manual should probably be more clear about it, but I guess I understand why they would say it's "working as intended" now.
Thanks @Stephen11o1, that almost seems like a logical setup. Will try next time. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well today's update from school drop-off - specifically told my kid to wait to unbuckle until I was in park and... the alarm started going off as I drove away (when I hit 15 mph of course). Pretty sure that yesterday she unbuckled while I was still crawling in drive and then I moved to park afterwards. So I have no idea what's going on anymore. Maybe there's a certain amount of time you need to be in park for it to reset?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well today's update from school drop-off - specifically told my kid to wait to unbuckle until I was in park and... the alarm started going off as I drove away (when I hit 15 mph of course). Pretty sure that yesterday she unbuckled while I was still crawling in drive and then I moved to park afterwards. So I have no idea what's going on anymore. Maybe there's a certain amount of time you need to be in park for it to reset?
Bugger, thought you'd solved it. Back to the lab.

The delay is almost the worst part, it's just when you think it's not going to do it that it starts, much like having to hit play on the radio.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I first noticed this issue yesterday after taking some of the guys from the office to lunch. Dropped them off at the office door and seat belt beeping started. Interestingly only one one of the 3 little men that show up on the dash was flashing during the beeping (two people had been seated in the back). Pulled into my spot about 50 feet away. Beeping stopped when I stopped and put the car into park before shutting off the engine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If the PIWIS can be used to get rid of that beeper on the rear hatch wouldn't it also work on this newest nanny? Just get rid of the sound.
This might work, but shouldn't be necessary. The system should work properly in the first place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had this issue and driving me mad! It’s been into OPC several times and the confirm it’s how it’s designed to work!!
Had the below update today from the technician at OPC;

We have just had a chat with one of our technical contacts at Porsche.

They have now confirmed they are aware of this issue and a document will be released soon.

It appears there may be a software bug in the instrument cluster and Porsche are currently working on a solution.

As soon as they have released this we will be back in contact with you.

At this stage I don’t have a time frame but the good news is that it has been recognised.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I’ve had this issue and driving me mad! It’s been into OPC several times and the confirm it’s how it’s designed to work!!

They have now confirmed they are aware of this issue and a document will be released soon.

It appears there may be a software bug in the instrument cluster and Porsche are currently working on a solution.

At this stage I don’t have a time frame but the good news is that it has been recognised.
Excellent news @Adamburwell, thanks for the update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The lockdowns are a lot more intrusive and annoying than the occupancy sensor issues (for me anyway).

Sales depts are closed at dealers, but servicing still open.

Just got off the phone to my dealership, they have had a number of calls re this issue and have raised it with PCA, who have in turn raised it with Germany. They are awaiting instruction on a fix whether it will be hardware or software is unknown. Still not sure whether all 2021's or a bad batch. @Dek, you might want to go back to your dealership and tell them.

My car went through production in December, @Beau from memory was Jan, @Sleeps, @a10thunder, @Iwcpilot & @Dek can you provide rough build dates on yours?
I took delivery March 21 so build date is probably Feb 21 went back to dealer last week even sent them link to this forum whilst service manager sympathises he’s been informed by Porsche that ”at present there are no modifications available”

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hope you get a solution as my dealer is telling me there currently isn’t one and as far as Porsche are concerned car is working as designed can I ask who is OPC and have you got the query number from Porsche so I can send to my dealer

·
Registered
9 Posts
The lockdowns are a lot more intrusive and annoying than the occupancy sensor issues (for me anyway).

Sales depts are closed at dealers, but servicing still open.

Just got off the phone to my dealership, they have had a number of calls re this issue and have raised it with PCA, who have in turn raised it with Germany. They are awaiting instruction on a fix whether it will be hardware or software is unknown. Still not sure whether all 2021's or a bad batch. @Dek, you might want to go back to your dealership and tell them.

My car went through production in December, @Beau from memory was Jan, @Sleeps, @a10thunder, @Iwcpilot & @Dek can you provide rough build dates on yours?
Mine was built Feb 21

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just a thought - is there any possibility that one of the rear seatbelts did not fully retract when the rear passenger exited and that could be creating a false alarm? Just grasping at straws based on how our Cayenne and 911 belts don’t always full retract. Again, just a SWAG at a potential root cause.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just a thought - is there any possibility that one of the rear seatbelts did not fully retract when the rear passenger exited and that could be creating a false alarm? Just grasping at straws based on how our Cayenne and 911 belts don’t always full retract. Again, just a SWAG at a potential root cause.
Will check this next time, thanks @GHL

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's gotta be some bad software logic built into the system. We've been running all sorts of different variations, and there are some weird answers. It seems if the occupant releases the seatbelt while the car is still moving, then simply opening the door will reset the system and it won't alarm. But if the car is stopped and then the seatbelt is released, the alarm will go off regardless of the door opening. Once the alarm hits, the only way to stop it is to put it in park (not always possible of course).

I really think this is just a result of bad coding. And it doesn't make sense that this system is operating as designed. Did this happen in the 2020MYs, or did they not have rear seatbelt sensors?

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's gotta be some bad software logic built into the system. We've been running all sorts of different variations, and there are some weird answers. It seems if the occupant releases the seatbelt while the car is still moving, then simply opening the door will reset the system and it won't alarm. But if the car is stopped and then the seatbelt is released, the alarm will go off regardless of the door opening. Once the alarm hits, the only way to stop it is to put it in park (not always possible of course).

I really think this is just a result of bad coding. And it doesn't make sense that this system is operating as designed. Did this happen in the 2020MYs, or did they not have rear seatbelt sensors?
I’ve had an official response from Porsche system working as designed and there is no fix complained on twitter and Porsche have asked me to private message them but when I do they don’t respond.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts