Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong.... if I drop my daughter/her mates off I have to turn the car off to stop the incessant warning that the (non-existent) people in the back seat don't have their seatbelts on. Hmm, call to the dealer coming up unless someone can tell me it is me doing something wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong.... if I drop my daughter/her mates off I have to turn the car off to stop the incessant warning that the (non-existent) people in the back seat don't have their seatbelts on. Hmm, call to the dealer coming up unless someone can tell me it is me doing something wrong
Hi Smemick,
I seem to be suffering from the same issue. My car has been in service 2 times so far for it and they cannot seem to confirm if this is normal on 2021 Macans. I have a 2021 Macan GTS that has the issue and was given a new 2021 Macan loaner that also had the same issue... It is extremely annoying when someone gets out of the back seat that you either have to shut down and restart the car or keep driving while the chime goes off until the car gives up warning you...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed @Sleeps, luckily only very occasionally have a rear seat passenger. Trying to get to dealer but busy time of year for work so will probably have to wait till after EOFY (30 June for us). Will keep you posted if I find out anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a new Macan and I'm loving it so far. One thing I'm confused about is the seat belt warning. If I'm carrying people in the back, when I drop off the passengers and continue driving, the seat belt warning would come on for a minute. Shouldn't there be rear seat sensors that detect there are no longer passengers sitting in the back? I had a Volvo before this and each seat had a sensor. As soon as someone leaves a seat, the car knows. Is there something wrong with the seat sensors on my Macan?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey @a10thunder, here is link to discussion. AFAIK no answer on fix yet and I haven't had a chance to talk with dealer, let us know what they say you do.
Rear Seat Occupancy Issue?
Thank you for directing me to the correct thread. I searched for this issue and I guess I didn't hit the right keywords. It sounds like Porsche just cheaped out and didn't put seat sensors in the back.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue.
53 Posts
I have noticed that on my 21 GTS after a rear passenger gets out of the car, when I drive away, the seatbelt warning will continue to chime. There does not be a way to stop it until the car is shut off. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed that on my 21 GTS after a rear passenger gets out of the car, when I drive away, the seatbelt warning will continue to chime. There does not be a way to stop it until the car is shut off. Has anyone else had this issue?
uh-oh @Iwcpilot, you're gonna be in trouble!

Here's the relatively new discussion: Rear Seat Occupancy Issue?

No answers AFAIK yet, starting to sound like a widespread issue. Let us know if you find out anything.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue.
53 Posts
I did try to search before I posted. Really I did. 😩

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Need to combine the threads

·
Registered
4 Posts
My new 21 plate Macan is the same, dealer submitted technical request No 2516237 and advised by Porsche that the system is working as designed, well in my opinion it’s poor design for a car that cost £60k. Driving me nuts and seriously thinking of changing car that has less than 700 miles on the clock. I have asked my dealer diff they can disable the sound but keep the visual warning and they are looking into it so watch this space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me too it’s a known issue but Porsche are stating the system works as designed, in my opinion it’s poor design and they are offering no fix to the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for directing me to the correct thread. I searched for this issue and I guess I didn't hit the right keywords. It sounds like Porsche just cheaped out and didn't put seat sensors in the back.
Exactly that I have raised this with my dealer to be informed system working as designed I would pay to get this issue fixed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My new 21 plate Macan is the same, dealer submitted technical request No 2516237 and advised by Porsche that the system is working as designed, well in my opinion it’s poor design for a car that cost £60k. Driving me nuts and seriously thinking of changing car that has less than 700 miles on the clock. I have asked my dealer diff they can disable the sound but keep the visual warning and they are looking into it so watch this space.
Wow @Dek, you must be having the issue more than me. Only had the issue a few times since getting the car in March, but it is every time I've dropped a rear seat passenger off. I rarely have more than 1 passenger in the car and if I do we're getting out together anyway. For me it's annoying, but not enough to get rid of the car, not even annoying enough for me to get to the dealer about it yet.

I'd think that there has to be sensors in the seats otherwise it wouldn't know when you'd had passengers. So they must be there, and if there, fixable. I'll try calling service dept today, we're in lockdown again so SA most prob not working.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Wow @Dek, you must be having the issue more than me. Only had the issue a few times since getting the car in March, but it is every time I've dropped a rear seat passenger off. I rarely have more than 1 passenger in the car and if I do we're getting out together anyway. For me it's annoying, but not enough to get rid of the car, not even annoying enough for me to get to the dealer about it yet.

I'd think that there has to be sensors in the seats otherwise it wouldn't know when you'd had passengers. So they must be there, and if there, fixable. I'll try calling service dept today, we're in lockdown again so SA most prob not working.
This must be driving you nuts . I have had passengers in the first gen car with no issue but none in the new one . When possible I will ask my wife to drive with me in the back seat (or visa versa) to see if the 2020 Turbo does it .
Your dealership closes on lockdown ? Here they are considered "essential" . Most of them are vaccinated now but even pre vaccine they all masked up and most fared well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This must be driving you nuts . I have had passengers in the first gen car with no issue but none in the new one . When possible I will ask my wife to drive with me in the back seat (or visa versa) to see if the 2020 Turbo does it .
Your dealership closes on lockdown ? Here they are considered "essential" . Most of them are vaccinated now but even pre vaccine they all masked up and most fared well.
The lockdowns are a lot more intrusive and annoying than the occupancy sensor issues (for me anyway).

Sales depts are closed at dealers, but servicing still open.

Just got off the phone to my dealership, they have had a number of calls re this issue and have raised it with PCA, who have in turn raised it with Germany. They are awaiting instruction on a fix whether it will be hardware or software is unknown. Still not sure whether all 2021's or a bad batch. @Dek, you might want to go back to your dealership and tell them.

My car went through production in December, @Beau from memory was Jan, @Sleeps, @a10thunder, @Iwcpilot & @Dek can you provide rough build dates on yours?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm just speculating here, but I think the Macan just has seat belt sensor but not seat sensor in the back. So the car knows people were buckled in the back. Without seat sensor, the car would just see that seat belts were unbuckled and car is moving again, so we get the alarm.

For me, the alarm lasts for about a minute and stops. The owner's manual also states 60s of warning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm just speculating here, but I think the Macan just has seat belt sensor but not seat sensor in the back. So the car knows people were buckled in the back. Without seat sensor, the car would just see that seat belts were unbuckled and car is moving again, so we get the alarm.

For me, the alarm lasts for about a minute and stops. The owner's manual also states 60s of warning.
Makes sense. I haven't timed how long it takes to switch off as it drives me bonkers so I restart the car as soon as it starts.

Your build date @a10thunder ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - new Macan and Porsche owner here (took delivery about 3 weeks ago). Been having this issue as well, and because we are using this as a family car (constantly dropping off kids), it's become a real bummer. After reading the manual and experimenting a bit, I think @a10thunder is probably correct about the back seats not having any sensors, only seat belt sensors. So I guess that means the alarm is working as intended - if so, that's a serious design flaw.

The weird thing, though, is that we didn't have this issue in the first week that we had the car. We made numerous drop offs that week with rear passengers, and it never came up. It just started last week. So that makes me lean towards there being a malfunction of some sort. But I don't really know. I'm supposed to take it in to service in a couple of weeks, but I really don't want to deal with the hassle if they're just going to tell me it's working as designed.

I'm going to run some more experiments on my own to see if there are any situations where it doesn't happen. And if I do hear anything from my service call (assuming I go through with it), I'll post updates. Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts