Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I've started the rear brake pad change and have set the parking brakes into service position with my obc tool. Piston will not retract. I've taken the epb off tried rotating both clockwise and counter clockwise with bleeding valve open and closed and every configuration i could try and the piston will not retract no matter what I do. Are there any tips for what else I can try?

I have a simple screw type rotor depressor tool and a ratcheting one as well. I can't even get the extra couple millimeters from the simple one to get the ratcheting tool in.

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
Is it possible your OBC tool is actually failing to retract the electric parking brake? If so, that's a problem.

It seems incredibly puzzling that turning the EPB either way has no effect... You're turning the Torx part inside
the dismounted EPB assembly, correct?

You do realize that even if/when the EPB is retracted, the caliper piston will still need to be depressed in order
to install new brake pads?

I found, when i changed my rear brake pads that I had to remove the entire caliper - not just the carrier - in order
to depress the caliper piston and install the pads.

Some literature states only the caliper carrier needs to be removed. I could not fit the new pads into the space
provided by only removing the carrier.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So figured it out. The piston had detached from the caliper. Had to get a piston turn in socket to manually reseat the piston. Once it was in then it depressed easily and I was good to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How did you retract it with a OBC tool? What's that? I just did a pad change and unscrewed them from the caliper and then threaded them in after and reattached. Pretty easy, but a button is better. I have ELM obd and all. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the iCarsoft POR-II Porsche OBD-II Scanner it's on the brake menu to put it into service position.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Anyone know if the Foxwell NT510, Autel MD808 or Launch X431 have the ability to put the parking brake into the service position on a Macan? Thinking of purchasing one of these as someday I will need to register a replacement battery. thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Also, is “parking brake relearn“ the same thing as putting the parking brake into the service position?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just plugged 12 volt battery terminals into the parking break motor when you remove the cable. There are more detailed instructions in another post, but it was pretty simple.

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS Carrara White Metallic Black Leather
3 Posts
Anyone know if the Foxwell NT510, Autel MD808 or Launch X431 have the ability to put the parking brake into the service position on a Macan? Thinking of purchasing one of these as someday I will need to register a replacement battery. thanks in advance for your help
I have the Schwaben version of the Foxwell NT510 with the Porsche software. I does retract the electric parking brake for pad change.

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
it's incredibly EASY to manually retract the EPB. Just unbolt it (Torx, IIRC) from the caliper and turn the
Torx fitting inside the EPB assembly.

After the brake work (or, as others say, break work), re-mount the EPB and after startup exercise the EPB
from inside the car. No problem-o (with apologies to the Terminator)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts