Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing what I learned today.

Apparently Ray Catena does not provide loaner cars if you didn't buy the car from them.

Seems like I will take my business to Flemington or Monmouth. Any other good dealers to work with in NJ

Premium Member
I know that dealerships used to do that in the old days, but thought they'd all moved beyond that over the last many years. You'd think they'd realize that someone who's happy with their service might talk to them when it came to replace the vehicle. I'd find someone else to service my car, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I figured Ray Catena a big name company in NJ shouldn't need to have this bogus rule. I can be more forgiving if it was a small time dealership.

Registered
I've had good success with Flemington in the past and always get a Porsche loaner even though I have not purchased from them. Nice, straight folks as well and honor the PCA discount.

Don't ask me about Paul Miller or Porsche Princeton...ugh.

Premium Member
these Service Departments rely so much on CUSTOMER SURVEYs....good luck with that.

Premium Member
Weird.

I'm sure there are plenty of other dealers who will happily take your $225 for an oil change.

Registered
Thanks for sharing. I've heard this about them before as well. Have heard a lot of good things about Monmouth a little further south, you should check them out.

Premium Member
Yeah I've heard of dealers doing that and it says "We don't want your business". If they didn't have loaners for anyone that's one thing, but to discriminate based on a previous purchase is just petty.

Registered
I have good experience with Porsche of Princeton, both with sales and service for last 5 years.

Registered
Just wondering how much influence Porsche North America has in their dealers. I think actions like this are bad for the brand. I used to live in NH and moved to NJ than to MN. I would not be happy if my local dealer treated me differently because I didn鈥檛 buy my car from them. I think it is not about the current car but the next one and that is not a good way to build loyalty.

Registered
Dropped mine off for 20k service today. They asked me if I wanted a cayenne or a macan my response I was actually expecting a targa. Made him smile for sure

Registered
Scheduled a service with Paul Miller. SA had to push off once due to the snowstorm a while but called me in advance to apologize for no loaners and rescheduled mine. I remember when I was buying the car early Feb last year, Ray Catena sales guys were really cocky but their discounts were aggressive. I guess that was due to inventory and EOM numbers etc. Bought my car from Princeton, decent discount and much better experience. It's funny that Princeton fired almost all of their sales guys(junior?) soon after covid started...i found out from my sales after i had the car for 1 month. On a separate note, Paul Miller sales guy gave me the top notch experience -- patient, sincere, and not even slightly pushy. I test drove 3 cars back to back after work around 7pm. He literally said "whether you buy from me or not, the shopping is be part of your porsche experience, and it should be at the same level of porsche cars." ...very impressive..Too bad that Paul Miller's discounts were no where near Princeton or Ray Catena. But think i'd order my 992 with him some time later.

Registered
Scheduled a service with Paul Miller. SA had to push off once due to the snowstorm a while but called me in advance to apologize for no loaners and rescheduled mine. I remember when I was buying the car early Feb last year, Ray Catena sales guys were really cocky but their discounts were aggressive. I guess that was due to inventory and EOM numbers etc. Bought my car from Princeton, decent discount and much better experience. It's funny that Princeton fired almost all of their sales guys(junior?) soon after covid started...i found out from my sales after i had the car for 1 month. On a separate note, Paul Miller sales guy gave me the top notch experience -- patient, sincere, and not even slightly pushy. I test drove 3 cars back to back after work around 7pm. He literally said "whether you buy from me or not, the shopping is be part of your porsche experience, and it should be at the same level of porsche cars." ...very impressive..Too bad that Paul Miller's discounts were no where near Princeton or Ray Catena. But think i'd order my 992 with him some time later.
Before you do any business with Paul Miller strongly suggest you read the recent thread about Lefizzet鈥檚 experience with his oil pressure problem, how Paul Miller destroyed his engine, and that he was without his car for nearly 3 months waiting for them to correctly replace the engine.

But they did give him a loaner:)

Registered
In the last 5 years I've ordered a new Macan, helped more than 10 other people purchase theirs, and most recently (last month) ordered a 992 C4S.

Catena has not once been price competitive, and I have not once been at all impressed by their sales staff.

I will say the quality of their service department is excellent, but when you get to the cost of non-warranty work, oh boy are you paying for all those amenities at their service center.

I did buy a Mercedes from them, and it mirrored the Porsche experience, including both the Edison and Union service departments. (I was buying a brand new AMG model for which no dealers were offering discounts, and Catena claimed they had the earliest build slot, which turned out to be a lie).

Registered
Have heard a lot of good things about Monmouth a little further south, you should check them out.
Had a very negative sales experience with Monmouth. I ordered a car from them and when the estimated delivery date approached I contacted them for an update and was told my car was delayed for an undetermined period due to a parts shortage. But I was able to see my commission number was built to a similar but different spec. Even worse, based on the build date they knew I was not getting my car long before I inquired, but they never even bothered to tell me. So they gave my build slot to a different customer.

I never told them what I knew, but they did refund my deposit although it took some time as they claimed it had to be approved by Penske's headquarters.

Reactions: lefizzet

Registered
Apparently Ray Catena does not provide loaner cars if you didn't buy the car from them.
What a poor business model. Dealerships make a TON of money from their service centers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts