Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
168 Posts
If it's any consolation, the Prius used a Soy based insulator on their "green" wiring, which the rodents found to be absolutely delicious. Same with Honda. Became a big problem, not sure if Porsche has been using such wiring...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took off my engine cover and discovered a chewed wiring harness! No warning lights on my dash. Anyone know what it is?

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Yikes! If you live near water or a water source my guess is rats/mice. Did they leave any droppings? This has been especially problematic during Covid as we aren't using our cars so much. Consumers Report recently wrote an article on this. Apparently Volkswagen sells a special duct tape that is anti rat/mouse stuff that you can repair the damage with if actual copper wires are not exposed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks like sensor plugs/wiring on the intake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hard to tell, but the wire loom with 4 wires comes in from the right and splits into 2 plugs. Basically the 2 wires leading to the left plug are completely chewed apart. The “extra” exposed wire(s) you see are a couple 2 inch sections of the chewed wiring

·
Registered
424 Posts

here it is uneaten.

Reactions: santastico

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Ouch

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I took off my engine cover and discovered a chewed wiring harness!....Anyone know what it is?
Here's a link to an earlier thread with others sharing similar experiences. Rats, or mice, typically.....although I recall that someone once found a squirrel nest under their hood.

Rats!!!!

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
2015 Macan S, EVOMS diverter valves, Pedal Commander, stage 1 Cobb, Niche convenience package, Remus
105 Posts
Once had kittens eat the wires of a John Deere lawnmower. Don’t know if Porsche uses soy-based insulation material. One of the reasons I absolutely forbid anyone from eating inside my cars

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Time to set some mice traps....

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would think by now that the car manufactures would have developed a wire loom or wire coverings that critters hate.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unfortunately, under the engine cover is a perfect spot for rodents to take up residence, if the vehicle is parked long enough. If it costs a lot more than your deductible to repair, it is usually a covered comprehensive loss under your auto policy, but first you are definitely going to want to take steps from it reoccurring.

Reactions: Glock19

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
61 Posts
I had the mice build a nest in my old Mercedes fan box for the AC/heat to the point it stopped working they had it stuffed with so much material. It started with with debris flying at me when I turned on the fan for heat or AC, then it just stopped working and this was why. It was a daily driver car too, but I did live on a wooded lot and the car was kept outside.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Last fall I found a squirrel's nest under the hood of my daughter's Lexus. It had about a pound of acorns and other junk. I keep them away by spraying crap load of mint oil under the hood. It cheap, I buy it at Walmart, and rodents hate the scent. I re-sprinkle it about every 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Last fall I found a squirrel's nest under the hood of my daughter's Lexus. It had about a pound of acorns and other junk. I keep them away by spraying crap load of mint oil under the hood. It cheap, I buy it at Walmart, and rodents hate the scent. I re-sprinkle it about every 2 weeks.
If you shower with it does it get rid of the bed bugs? We might start a new industry with mint oil.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts