Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Glad you're up and at 'em again after your injury, @dmsiceman . I've had a sleeve of mothballs under my car for about six months now, and no further critter action -- also no mothball smell in the car after the first week, when the mothballs were on DEFCON 5 because each of the four condo owners put a sleeve of mothballs under our cars until we were sure the rodents were gone. I definitely don't love the smell of naphthalene in the morning, but it did not linger in the car. Good luck!

Edit: I nixed the red pepper, because I didn't want to track it into the house OR the car. Still no mice.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
You really don't want to use poison. First, if the rats or mice take the poison, they often crawl into your walls to die and then, once you start to smell the stench, you have to tear apart your walls to get them out. Second, other animals (even household ones) can get poisoned if they eat the poison or mess around with the dying or deal rats/mice. You don't want that stuff in the ecosystem. Almost any exterminator will tell you this. Use traps, not poison.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm glad this thread popped up again. I've been hearing a squirrel in my attic for the past few days and I want to chase it out before finding and sealing up wherever it got in. I'll try the mothball approach and see if that repels an already-present critter. The links below suggest a few other similar options for deterring rats and squirrels as well.

Smells That Squirrels Do Not Like | Home Guides | SF Gate

https://www.reference.com/home-garden/mothballs-repel-rats-3d10a1f4ba728bc2

I had a squirrel in my attic as he had chewed through the fabric mesh covering the gable vents. So I bought a Have-A-Heart trap and caught him, and relocated him. I then covered the gable vents with both the fabric mesh for the insects, and a wire mesh for the critters.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A friend of mine has had good luck with a "rat zapper" from Amazon. Not sure which brand/model. Can just leave it in the garage. He's used it outside during dry weather (or protected from weather) and caught quite a few rats/mice as well. He had a significant repair bill from something chewing up a harness and building a nest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had what turned out to be squirrels in the attic. I caught one with a cage trap and relocated him. I caught the other with a rat trap, so he wasn't so lucky. It took a long time for me to get it right, and it was frustrating. You need to have the traps in the direct path of the animals or you won't get them. BTW, I'm fairly sure they got in by climbing up some bushy tall trees I had close to the house, so I had those trees removed also.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Rat zapper kind of traps work well. Rather expeditiously dispatched a half-dozen rats and mice. We'd had a periodic cicada hatching the previous spring and there was an excess of vermin as a result. Once the bugs were gone they came looking for other sources.

Put one away with the batteries still in it. In a shed, in a cabinet behind a door with a friction-catch. I'd baited it with peanut butter previously. Found it a few weeks later with a full sized squirrel, dead, sticking half out of it. Much like the mice that chewed their way into another part of the cabinet and then into a sealed new box of the blue bait poison cubes. If they're going to work that hard to "vote themselves off the island" I'm not going to get all that upset.

We've since torn down that shed. The funniest part of having it was the wife coming back into the house and hollering "there's a VERY ANGRY MOUSE in the shed!" Opossum look pretty fearsome when it's dark and you've surprised them. But that was before the zapper trap, never did catch one of those.

As for the issue with smells and poisons, meh, mice die all the time inside closed structures and nobody ever really notices the smell. A rat you might but not for very long. So don't buy into the exaggeration of having to rip open walls. If you've got THAT bad of an infestation then you should be having it professionally handled, not just DIY.

As for squirrels, vaseline and hot sauce makes a great deterrent. Kept them off my bird feeders by slathering up the pole with the concoction. Non-toxic but DEFINITELY unpleasant. Damned things would spin around like the Tasmanian Devil after trying to climb the pole and then licking off their paws. A mistake they made ONCE. It was so savagely hilarious to watch that I almost wished they'd tried again.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Actually non-anti-coagulant baits in secured bait stations work effectively and safely. Baits with bromethalin do not poison scavengers and the keyed station cannot be opened by a small child or larger non-target animal. Although I must reload the stations twice a month, I have never seen or smelled a dead rat. The raccoons seem to play catch with them as sometimes I find a couple of them strewn still intact across my yard.

You will never dent a population of rats with mechanical traps. These are a must, though, for use inside a structure that has been sealed against new would-be tenants.

One could argue that there's no point in trying to control rats outside your home. I thought that way for many years. But then it got so bad that at dusk my wife and I would be eating dinner outside and literally hundreds would scoot by, occasionally stopping to sniff the air. When they started forming lines and advancing towards us ......

·
Registered
583 Posts
Guess I shouldn't be reading this thread before bedtime, cuz last night I had a dream where I had to chase a couple of critters out of the garage at my condo building ... one rat, and one coyote(!) .

So funny, not just because I've never seen a rat, or a coyote, in the city, but because I would never chase them out myself ... I would just call Security.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts
Omg....MICE!!!

:eek::(:crying:

Hi Folks!

I haven't posted in years. I am one of the earlier members, I have a 2015 Macan S.

I have one heck of a problem -- A bunch of mice made a VILLAGE, no a CITY in my car!!!!! The Macan is my DD. My garage is very clean (not CA clean, more like CT clean).

The mice lived under the cabin area of the floor (not sure how to explain it). I won't have an estimate on the damage (they are still looking) until early next week. The guess is roughly $20,000! I haven't called my insurance company yet. This is a bad situation:( I own my car and still hope to keep it for at least a few more years. I was given a 2018 Cayenne to drive as a loaner and they are allowing me to put Yeti dog in it (they know it will be perfectly clean when they get it back). The Macan is the only car I have.... oh, yeah, I am a single empty-nester now, so there are NO extra cars around.

So, I will be looking at various methods to make sure mice don't get back in my car once I get it home. I am selling my house, so I need to make sure there are NO mice living in my garage/walls, etc. What a nightmare!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have read all the previous posts. I think I will be using peppermint oil in/around the car (wheel and engine areas) and something else for the garage. I will probably hire a pro.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This happened years ago when my wife parked her Cayman outside. We had the Rat away spray, special tape that the rats don’t like wraped around the wiring, plus a special light mounted inside that is bothersome to rodents. They didn’t come back. Send me postage and I’ll give the roll of tape we have.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What wiring did you wrap it around? There is wiring everywhere!!!

Reactions: Moon Pie

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Hi @janene. Wondered what happened to you. Missed you. Hope other than this all well, relatively speaking. Your damage is covered by insurance you should call them sooner than later. Same thing happened to Matt Moreman of obsessedgarage.com, also a YouTube presenter under same name. He had the wire harnesses eaten by rodents on his GT3.

Be well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey there! Thinks are ok. Yeah, I was told this will be a comp claim. Wonder what that will do to my rates.... Calling tomorrow or Monday. Have a $1,000 deductible. Haven't had a claim since maybe 1988. My oldest kid is getting his own auto policy next month, so I will be solo on my policy. Yippee!! His electrical engineering degree has paid off. Happy kid and happy mom :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
To paraphrase Alien, "drop back to orbit and nuke the site, it's the only way to be sure."

Blue baits and battery zapper traps. Cull the horde. Yeah, yeah, people bemoan the horror, but these are vermin and have no place destroying your vehicle. To say nothing of potential infections they're carrying.

Because if they're in your car, in your garage, then they're elsewhere in the house too.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would have rats get under the hood of my GTI every winter as I had to park it in the driveway. I'm staunchly against poisons near my property and pets. So I used a combo of live traps baited with peanut butter, moth balls that are in mesh bags, and rodent repellent sprayed all over the wheels wells [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Defense-Mice-Repellent-Substitute/dp/B01A9TZPCY/ref=sr_1_6?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1521835250&sr=1-6&keywords=rodent+repellent&dpID=41Y4CmLeQJL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch[/ame]

The combo of all three worked until I finally got a 3rd garage bay.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Ratlite? Reminds me of rat burgers at White Castle when I was a teenager:)
The correct pronunciation is Raaaaaatburgers.

Reactions: PeterVV

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mothballs are helpful in addition to traps and poison in appropriate places. When we lived in Wisconsin, I stored my Euro 944 each winter. Had a lot of rat chewing damage the first winter in storage. After that I put a few boxes of mothballs under the hood and the rats went somewhere else to chew. The vapors go right thru the cardboard box - no need to open them unless there is a plastic liner. Never had the problem again with the help of mothballs.
I agree... Having some bait stations around the outside perimeter of the house should help. The rats see the bait stations as a readily available source of food... little do they know that they are sealing their faith... I have 4 of those around the perimeter of the house, and had no issues. Although my cars live inside the garage all the time.

The problem would be if you live in colder climates, and the rat is just looking for a warm place to live.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 86 Posts