Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Honestly if it happened to your vehicle I am not sure you would chalk it up as that's life. While I don't recommend people uses poison's on their own, there are professional ways to handle it so that children and pets won't get at the bait. To each their own, but thankfully there are many that would feel the same as me and they in turn paid for my Macan!
I stand firm on my statement . In fact I have several (now adult) cats which were once kittens whose mama hid them in my former Cayenne . (see pic below). She would stand next to the car and call them out one by one.We'd walk out and they would run back into the engine . We didn't even start the car (for 3 days) until we caught them and had them seen by a vet. They live safely inside our home as pets now.

I don't know why anyone would think that killing a rat will eliminate another rat from taking its place and I also favor humane deterrent as opposed to a grueling poison death of any creature (yep - even a rat) .

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I guess no one has heard of RAT AWAY. No idea how it works but sprayed my engine. Then parked it in my driveway for the first time since the incident (cold engine).

I am in Hawaii for 10 days and I suppose when I get back to Los Angeles we will see if the RAT AWAY kept the critter at bay.

Rats are an issue in the hills of LA. A few years ago I saw rat droppings IN MY BEDROOM. I got out a broom and shook the curtains, a big rat scurried out the door. I have two cats and they may have brought the rat in and then it went up the backside of the curtains to get away from my cats.

If this is the worst of my problems I am good.

BTW, am on Kauai and drove the entire Island and not one Porsche, new or old. I was fortunate though, rented a rag top Mustang. Thought I 'd get the typical beater ragtop but low and behold I got a GT/5.0 with 150 miles on it. White/black top, interior two tone leather, white / black, with a lot of options including Sirius, etc. Nice machine for an American car. Back when I was younger I drove 5.0's so it has been fun (not sure the islanders have enjoyed my antics peeling out in sand patches on the road).>:D>:D>:D Hey someone has to start to make it an island beater!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Simple safe solution. Bounce dryer sheets. I stored my s2k and a an old Chris Craft in a barn. 1st winter lots of vermin. Bounce 2nd year and not a turd.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
@Marktheshark, that seems like an elegantly simple solution. Cool! Does it matter whether the dryer sheets are scented or unscented?

Reactions: MacWhte

·
Registered
782 Posts
...I'm happy to report that I haven't had any of those congressmen under my hood!!

>:D

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Really not happy to resurrect this thread, but ... something's been nibbling the fabric lining under the clamshell hood. Did not find visible droppings and it didn't have that awful smell or sticky residue that mouse urine leaves, but I'm still concerned.

The dealership can't get the car in until late next week, so in the meantime, 1) how worried should I be about wiring harnesses and/or other parts? 2) will the Macan pass tech inspection for the coming weekend's PCA autocross, and 3) what does that fabric do, exactly? If it's for sound deadening, I don't care; if it's for fire protection, that'd be different.

Assuming that #3 does not involve a safety concern, I'm hoping #2 probably won't be an issue. Happily, the plastic engine cover is unmarked, unchewed, and un-peed-upon, and its interior fabric is just fine.

To keep the mousey miscreants from coming back, I've bombed my part of the garage with mothballs (under the car and in front of it) and removed all items from the shelves near the Macan's nose that might have looked like "safe harbor" to critters. They ate some of my shop towels and nested in a box of tissues there -- not too bright of me to have left them out. @rkirshner , do you advise snap traps, or will the mothballs likely be deterrent enough? My sister swears by crushed red pepper to keep critters away from her stored vehicles.

·
Registered
599 Posts
When I store my summer vehicles in their winter hybernatorium, I use "Fresh Cab", bay leaves, comet, fabric softener sheets, an electronic repellant, and a bit of a voodoo chant before leaving them. I have been unable to find mothballs around here, otherwise I'd add them to the ritual. Seems to work.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Rat Traps
Mouse Traps
Exterminator

Rats & Mice carry disease possibly rabies.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
@Louie Zoi - The moth balls will help, but I would try and pick up some mouse poison at your local hardware store. The problem with snap traps is that they can often be accidentally set off or mice will get the food off the trap without setting it off.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Thanks, @rkirshner. We have a neighbor's cats and grandkids on the property, so I'm reluctant to use poison, but if the churlish chewers come back, I will use it. Any chance it could be chipmunks? Do they ever get up into cars? My dog is getting good at catching them!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks, @rkirshner. We have a neighbor's cats and grandkids on the property, so I'm reluctant to use poison, but if the churlish chewers come back, I will use it. Any chance it could be chipmunks? Do they ever get up into cars? My dog is getting good at catching them!

It very well could be something like a chipmunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For protection against rodents, seal off all openings and make use of poison for problem areas. If it is becoming too hard to handle it is better to consult to a pest exterminators like rat exterminator roseville, they will surely help you out with the problems.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well not RATS, but Mice

I have been hobbled by an injury for a little while and have not driven my Macan, so I was going to check the battery with my CTEK charger. So I opened the hood of the Macan in my garage, and found mouse droppings and dried urine on the plastic engine shroud. I was not happy! I did a thorough inspection of the engine compartment and the interior and could not see any damage or any other traces of the mouse.

I have a cat but she is an indoor cat and she does not like the cold, and will not go into the garage. I was wondering if anyone has had success with the suggestions here in this thread such as crushed red pepper, Bounce dryer sheets, or moth balls for use with a daily driver; not a stored vehicle. I worry about the moth ball's smell getting into the interior. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts