Porsche Macan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car could be perfect and never give you any trouble, or the car could already have a leak which is $10k out of pocket.
Assuming the $10k leak you are referring to is the timing chain cover, no one in their right mind is going to spend $10k on a very minor leak like this on a Macan with this much mileage. As many have pointed out, the answer would be to just let it leak. Unlikely you will ever need to add a quart of oil between changes because of such a minor leak.

And any thorough PPI will discover the leak, and the buyer can use it as a bargaining chip.

Finally, a number of owners have provided detailed instructions on this forum regarding how the leak can be repaired without engine removal at a cost that's a small fraction of the $10k you mentioned.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then reality comes with $500-$800 oil changes, $2500 brake jobs and $2000 tires.
How many of us are paying $800 for oil changes, $2500 for brake jobs and $2000 for tires? Very few.

Sure, if you want to get ripped off $800 for an oil change I'm sure you can find someone to oblige you.

Macan service and parts is not inexpensive, but the numbers you are throwing out paint a very exaggerated picture.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
How many of us are paying $800 for oil changes, $2500 for brake jobs and $2000 for tires? Very few.

Sure, if you want to get ripped off $800 for an oil change I'm sure you can find someone to oblige you.

Macan service and parts is not inexpensive, but the numbers you are throwing out paint a very exaggerated picture.
Who is charging $800 for a Macan oil change? That's wild. And I thought $545 was crazy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Who is charging $800 for a Macan oil change? That's wild. And I thought $545 was crazy.
A Macan oil change is about as difficult as changing the oil on a Honda Accord. But dealers would like you to believe special training is needed. Remember the dealer who claimed all their techs were sent to Germany for training? Unfortunately some owners are gullible beyond belief.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Assuming the $10k leak you are referring to is the timing chain cover, no one in their right mind is going to spend $10k on a very minor leak like this on a Macan with this much mileage. As many have pointed out, the answer would be to just let it leak. Unlikely you will ever need to add a quart of oil between changes because of such a minor leak.

And any thorough PPI will discover the leak, and the buyer can use it as a bargaining chip.

Finally, a number of owners have provided detailed instructions on this forum regarding how the leak can be repaired without engine removal at a cost that's a small fraction of the $10k you mentioned.
If you have a Porsche and you are fine with that it's leaking then you can't afford a Porsche. First a leak too much to fix, then PDK fluid is too expensive to change, then brakes are too expensive, then tires are too expensive.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
A Macan oil change is about as difficult as changing the oil on a Honda Accord. But dealers would like you to believe special training is needed. Remember the dealer who claimed all their techs were sent to Germany for training? Unfortunately some owners are gullible beyond belief.
I wouldn't say it's easier as you need to unscrew like 17 bolts and then it requires PIWIS to reset the service light but there is nothing to justify the price except of payment for a GM's 50 ft cat.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes the car was one owner and was traded into Porsche in May of 2020 with 80k miles the original owner had the car from May of 2015 until May 2020 and then traded it into Porsche and the current dealer has the car now which he used as a personal company vehicle for the last year so it was never registered as a personal vehicle so it doesn’t list as an owner, the carfax report doesn’t have much of a service history listed which is slightly concerning only the transfer case being replaced at 75k miles under Porsche warranty is on the report as well as a maintenance inspection when it was traded in, the current dealer which is also a mechanic did a full service of the car when he got it last year and said he also doesn’t have the history of the car other than it was owned by a pro baseball player in Miami so with that information I feel like it is highly doubtful that I will be able to get in touch with the original owner, but that also makes me feel like he wouldn’t of been the kind of person who would neglect maintenance, but that is just speculation.
What kind of pro baseball player drives a macan till 90k miles? Sounds like BS to me. I remember one my my local dealers advertised an S8 which was driven by Tom Brady. Who the F*** drives an S8?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Not only people pay $800 for an oil change and $2500 for a brake job but they also consider those to be good deals.

Good tires for 20"/21" will set you back $2000. Of course you can install some cheap chinese tires but we are getting back to the question if one can afford a Porsche.

Porsche's maintenance is 3x-5x the price of japanese vehicles and I know some people who want a Porsche but don't want the expenses associated with owning it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a Porsche and you are fine with that it's leaking then you can't afford a Porsche. First a leak too much to fix, then PDK fluid is too expensive to change, then brakes are too expensive, then tires are too expensive.
There's a huge difference between spending $10,000 to repair a minor oil leak on a high mileage car, and the need to change PDK fluid, brakes, and tires.

I never said I would be fine with it leaking. But I (and many others here) would never pay $10,000 to fix a minor oil leak like this on any high mileage car, Porsche or otherwise. Although if I had a car with the subject leak I might consider investing a couple hours labor on the methods others have successfully used here. But not thousands of dollars.

Not sure what this has to do with being able to afford a Porsche. I'm lucky enough to own three, but I still would not invest $10,000 on this. And I would give you the same response whether we were talking about a Porsche, an Audi, or a Ford.

Your suggestion that someone who is willing to live with the leak can't afford a Porsche is analogous to telling me I can't afford a Porsche because I don't bother to fix the dent on my front fender.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I remember one my my local dealers advertised an S8 which was driven by Tom Brady. Who the F*** drives an S8?
When Brady was with the Pats he did drive an S8 at least at one point. I had a business meeting at Gillette Stadium one weekday and Brady pulled up in his S8 to attend practice. I also recall a newspaper or magazine article mentioning he could obviously afford whatever he wanted but drove an S8.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I wouldn't say it's easier as you need to unscrew like 17 bolts and then it requires PIWIS to reset the service light but there is nothing to justify the price except of payment for a GM's 50 ft cat.
It’s actually quite similar.
PIWIS is not required to reset the Macan service register. As has been discussed here at length in the past there are a number of aftermarket tools that will accomplish this.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Your suggestion that someone who is willing to live with the leak can't afford a Porsche is analogous to telling me I can't afford a Porsche because I don't bother to fix the dent on my front fender.
Your analogy is spot on.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It’s actually quite similar.
PIWIS is not required to reset the Macan service register. As has been discussed here at length in the past there are a number of aftermarket tools that will accomplish this.
PIWIS or not, in every car I had before Porsche service interval reset took 1 second. With Porsche it takes 15 minutes to change the oil and 15 minutes to reset the interval.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
When Brady was with the Pats he did drive an S8 at least at one point. I had a business meeting at Gillette Stadium one weekday and Brady pulled up in his S8 to attend practice. I also recall a newspaper or magazine article mentioning he could obviously afford whatever he wanted but drove an S8.
:ROFLMAO:So the dealership wasn't lying.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Not sure what this has to do with being able to afford a Porsche. I'm lucky enough to own three, but I still would not invest $10,000 on this. And I would give you the same response whether we were talking about a Porsche, an Audi, or a Ford.
If you have three Porsches and one of them leaks and another one has bent fender then I think you can't afford them.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Your analogy is spot on.
Wow! I am so glad I read this thread. Now our resident know it all is telling us what cars we can and cannot afford.

My 997 has had two small cracks in one of the taillight lenses for as long as I can remember. According to Opt1k the fact that I've never made the repair indicates I can't afford a Porsche. That's so good to know. I'll be putting my Porsches up for sale tomorrow. Appreciate the financial advice..

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Wow! I am so glad I read this thread. Now our resident know it all is telling us what cars we can and cannot afford.

My 997 has had two small cracks in one of the taillight lenses for as long as I can remember. According to Opt1k the fact that I've never made the repair indicates I can't afford a Porsche. That's so good to know. I'll be putting my Porsches up for sale tomorrow. Appreciate the financial advice..
It could be worse if your name was Brandon.
All my damages I regret as they can be traced to pilot error. They may be tiny but I will learn to live with them. The next owner can fix them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Only partially true. You do need to quickly unfasten the front half the front undertray (no, you don't need to remove the whole cover and getting to the fasteners mid-car is a PITA). A ramp is definitely helpful, certainly don't need a lift. You also don't need a PIWIS, that's an old tale. I use a Foxwell NT530 which I bought for maybe $150 and has already paid for itself with two oil changes and service resets as well as one new battery programming.

On my Hondas you don't even need ramps. Turn the steering wheel hard right and you can access the spin on/off oil filter and the drain bolt for the oil pan is under an arm's length from the front bumper. Maybe 15 minutes of work time with another 15-20 minutes to drain as much oil as possible. The Macan takes about 3x that long for both but it's still an easy driveway job and I had never changed the oil in car until the pandemic hit.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What kind of pro baseball player drives a macan till 90k miles? Sounds like BS to me. I remember one my my local dealers advertised an S8 which was driven by Tom Brady. Who the F*** drives an S8?
When you said this I, specifically remember TMZ covering this story a while back.

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.