Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know if there's a dedicated fuse for the vane motor, or is it shared with other components?

·
Super Moderator
2,679 Posts
I spoke too soon!

I changed my tires over to summer rubber from winter today and when I switched the
Macan on, to disable the leveling, then off the louver motor started making noise(s). If I
grabbed a vane and wiggled it up & down a bit, I could get the motor to shut up. However,
as I progressed the swapover, first one side, then the other, the louver motor occasionally
awakened and complained for awhile, before shutting itself off again.

Good thing it's (louver motor) going in for replacement soon! (it didn't have a very long lifespan, my Macan
has fewer than 34K miles on it!).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Owner of a 2020 Macan S here with some downtime to think about too many things due to the Covid crisis.

CAn anyone tell me the purpose of those slats? They seem to open up as soon as the engine is started and seem to stay open no matter the temps. I've noticed they open up even in subfreezing temps. I would think they would stay closed initially so that the cold engine will get up to temperature faster.

Once up to temp, they would open up if the oil/coolant temps exceed a certain range.

Are they for aerodynamic efficiency? I know of some of the current Porsche 2-doors they tout the active aero on the vanes that lead to the radiators.

I suspect the Macan vanes stay open the entire time the engine is on. I've never see the oil temps exceed 190 F degrees no matter how long or hard I drive the thing.

It's not a direct comparison due to different engines, but the oil temps on my 981 GT4 is normally hover around 235 F degrees without engaging the extra radiator in sport mode for extra cooling.

Anyway, just looking some knowledge in this area.

Thanks,
-Pete

·
Super Moderator
9,636 Posts
I've never see the oil temps exceed 190 F degrees no matter how long or hard I drive the thing.
Are you looking at the water temp or the oil temp? The water temp is an idiot light. It never moves unless its too hot, then it moves, just like in a 911. If you are looking at the oil temp, the louvers are supposed to open and close, just as this thread is about, sometimes the (louver) motor dies.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The water temp is an idiot light. It never moves unless its too hot, then it moves, just like in a 911.
Would you elaborate on that statement, please?

To me, an idiot light is something that comes on or stays off, i.e., it has two states.

The water temp display, OTOH, steadily climbs -- displays ever larger, changing, numbers -- from engine startup until the display reads 200°F. To me, the changing numbers imply an actual gauge, reading actual temps (which then hold steady, perhaps as a result of the proper functioning of the cooling system, thermostat, and related components).

What don't I understand about the temp display?

·
Super Moderator
2,679 Posts
I suspect the Macan vanes stay open the entire time the engine is on. I've never see the oil temps exceed 190 F degrees no matter how long or hard I drive the thing.
I regularly see the oil temperature in my MT run up to ~215F. It has plenty of 0W-40 Mobil1 and it's clean.
The temperatures I've observed are not when stuck in traffic, they're while driving around. Most curious
your Macan doesn't get above 190F. I'm located in the North too.

:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
9,636 Posts
Would you elaborate on that statement, please?

To me, an idiot light is something that comes on or stays off, i.e., it has two states.

The water temp display, OTOH, steadily climbs -- displays ever larger, changing, numbers -- from engine startup until the display reads 200°F. To me, the changing numbers imply an actual gauge, reading actual temps (which then hold steady, perhaps as a result of the proper functioning of the cooling system, thermostat, and related components).

What don't I understand about the temp display?
The water temp gauge moves to a preset point in the Macan and 991, then stops. It will not move again unless its too hot. Then it will move. Thats a digital idiot light.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I regularly see the oil temperature in my MT run up to ~215F. It has plenty of 0W-40 Mobil1 and it's clean.
The temperatures I've observed are not when stuck in traffic, they're while driving around. Most curious
your Macan doesn't get above 190F. I'm located in the North too.

:unsure:
Do you have the 3.0 liter Audi engine on a 2019 or newer car? Mine is a 2020. Took delivery in October and did several road trips of 5+ hours on the highway, but in low temps (30-40F). The oil temp never cracked 190. I remember this because 212F is the boiling point of water and was wonder if I had any water in the oil that could be burned off (irrational I know!)

I've driven about 40 miles in 50F temps recently and noticed the same with the oil temp. Maybe the ambient temps just need to be higher or I just need to keep the car in 3rd gear at highway speeds.

EDIT: I just noticed you called your car MT, Macan Turbo? Completely different engine could explain the temp differences.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are you looking at the water temp or the oil temp? The water temp is an idiot light. It never moves unless its too hot, then it moves, just like in a 911. If you are looking at the oil temp, the louvers are supposed to open and close, just as this thread is about, sometimes the (louver) motor dies.
Pretty sure it's the oil. It's the 2nd line on the dash LCD. Top line is the coolant with the little thermometer symbol. My vanes definitely open on engine startup no matter the outside temp (15F I've seen them open) and they will close after I shut the engine off. I was curious if the constant open condition causes my lower oil temps. I'm not in any sport mode either.

On the GT4 I was always told to wait until the oil temps are above 180F before driving the engine above 4000 RPM. That's why in the Macan I'm always looking at the oil temps on startup (not that I'm going to go nuts driving). It can take over 30 min of highway driving speeds (60 mph) before the Macan reaches that oil temp for me.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The water temp gauge moves to a preset point in the Macan and 991, then stops. It will not move again unless its too hot. Then it will move. Thats a digital idiot light.
BTW, I've had a MY 2019, with the Base engine, as a loaner for a few days now. As opposed to the water temperature gauge on my '18 S, which digitally climbs every few degrees and seems to peak and hold at 200°F, the water temp gauge on this Base engine seems to stop at 194°F, after being fully warmed up (driven for at least half an hour, on different days, with ambient temps anywhere from 50°F to 80°F).

Just thought I'd note that observation, for completeness, in case anyone does any searching about this later on.

·
Super Moderator
9,636 Posts
BTW, I've had a MY 2019, with the Base engine, as a loaner for a few days now. As opposed to the water temperature gauge on my '18 S, which digitally climbs every few degrees and seems to peak and hold at 200°F, the water temp gauge on this Base engine seems to stop at 194°F
Remember, if it works like the 911s, its not "holding" anything. Its an idiot gauge. The water temp can be higher but won't move until its out of range, that is, the idiot light goes on.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Remember, if it works like the 911s, its not "holding" anything. Its an idiot gauge. The water temp can be higher but won't move until its out of range, that is, the idiot light goes on.
Right, I got educated by your earlier explanation. Thought you might like to add another data point to your knowledge base, this time regarding a different (smaller and newer) Macan engine.

·
Super Moderator
2,679 Posts
Do you have the 3.0 liter Audi engine on a 2019 or newer car? Mine is a 2020. Took delivery in October and did several road trips of 5+ hours on the highway, but in low temps (30-40F). The oil temp never cracked 190. I remember this because 212F is the boiling point of water and was wonder if I had any water in the oil that could be burned off (irrational I know!)

I've driven about 40 miles in 50F temps recently and noticed the same with the oil temp. Maybe the ambient temps just need to be higher or I just need to keep the car in 3rd gear at highway speeds.

EDIT: I just noticed you called your car MT, Macan Turbo? Completely different engine could explain the temp differences.

Yes - Macan Turbo.

And, in the hotter weather now (July & August) I've seen oil temperatures as high as 217F in the display.

Similar to what you noted, I was told to wait til 185F before considering the oil is "warmed up". (I wouldn't
want to try and bathe in water that hot!!! :eek:). So, i always take it easy til the oil gets warmed up...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anybody replaced this by themselves yet? My active shutters are stuck closed and the motor just whirls and whirls whenever I turn the car off.

Pulled the codes and it says there is a fault with the grill motor. Ordered the part on ebay brand new for $60, but I dont know where the darn thing is located at on the car!

Has anyone replaced this before?
Hi did u end uo fixing yours? Mine had the same problem

101 - 120 of 148 Posts