Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Swiss MF members (or MF members in Switzerland, for that matter)

Factory delivery is something that interests me quite a lot, and very especially Leipzig, as there are a few circuits I'd love to visit one day and many of their most famous bends are replicated in Porsche's test track.

I posed the question to my SA, who tried to convince me to desist from requesting that option, saying that it's way too complicated and too expensive as it implies importing the car into Switzerland, then making a temporary re-export into the EU, clearing customs again when returning back to Switzerland... In my mind the thing is so easy as going to Leipzig, being shown my new car, having a nice lunch, testing a car on track, and then coming back to Switzerland and wait for Porsche to deliver my car to my dealer, and for my dealer to do the paperwork for me.

Does anyone have the first-hand experience of factory delivery? Is it really that complicated and expensive? Or is my SA just trying to get away with some additioal burden?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want to drive a Macan, you should have the money. If you don't try Volkswagen. It is also a good car and no need to import re-export, etc.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you want to drive a Macan, you should have the money. If you don't try Volkswagen. It is also a good car and no need to import re-export, etc.
WTF is this response about?? Lol, trolls in Switzerland...who'd have thought!! Anyways @ABusLux, unless the rules for ED are different for you guys in Europe, I don't understand your dealership's convoluted advice. I've known many euro BMW drivers who've experienced ED in Munich with no such issues to deal with. Can't you Europeans pick the car up (Leipzig for you) and simply drive it back to Switzerland and your home dealership to complete any paperwork/taxes, etc? Silly to have to drop it off for re-delivery when you're home anyways???

Reactions: ABusLux

·
Registered
7,568 Posts

Assuming your not referring to our long time member @ABusLux who already owns a Macan. In any case, you're post is in poor taste.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
@ABusLux drives a Macan, he has the money. Do you drive a Macan? If not, make a wish0:)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WTF is this response about?? Lol, trolls in Switzerland...who'd have thought!! Anyways @ABusLux, unless the rules for ED are different for you guys in Europe, I don't understand your dealership's convoluted advice. I've known many euro BMW drivers who've experienced ED in Munich with no such issues to deal with. Can't you Europeans pick the car up (Leipzig for you) and simply drive it back to Switzerland and your home dealership to complete any paperwork/taxes, etc? Silly to have to drop it off for re-delivery when you're home anyways???
If I was still living in Luxembourg, or in the Netherlands, or even back in Spain, there would be no issue, since these are all EU countries. Switzerland, on the other hand, is not an EU member, so there's no free movement of goods to/from Switzerland. That complicates everything.

I won't bother give answer to the troll, who may not even know that 1) Porsche belongs to the Volkswagen group, and 2) the importer is exactly the same for VW and Porsche.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
When US guys collect the car at factory I believe they are assigned red plates, which allow to circulate temporarily, without the car being registered in Germany.
I think there are other factors where the dealers don't want to assign factory deliveries, I have no proof but I guess they assign a number of slots per year to each country and the SA want to keep those for special customers.
Also Porsche gives priority to the USA, since the factory collections costs zero whilst in Germany it's €1300 euros, giving the US guys hotel stays, transport to and from factory, meal, insurance and the temporary license plates for free.

Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Registered
497 Posts
If I was still living in Luxembourg, or in the Netherlands, or even back in Spain, there would be no issue, since these are all EU countries. Switzerland, on the other hand, is not an EU member, so there's no free movement of goods to/from Switzerland. That complicates everything.
Wow, completely forgot about Switzerland being on its own, sorry about that. I think it's a mental block, I'm still upset at the price of my snack in Zurich when i was transferring to Munich a couple years ago...only had euros in my pocket and they saw me coming lol. Anyways, I hope you can find a work around. So near to Leipzig....and yet so far lol. Best of luck!!!

Reactions: ABusLux

·
Registered
1997 Carrera C2S, 2015 Carrera 991 GTS 4, 2016 Macan S Diesel
91 Posts

I won't bother give answer to the troll, who may not even know that 1) Porsche belongs to the Volkswagen group, and 2) the importer is exactly the same for VW and Porsche.
Hi there,
well, AMAG Switzerland used to import both VW and Porsche but only until 2008. See here: 60 ans d?importation Porsche en Suisse. - Home - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG (original text in French).
"After 57 years of cooperation from Porsche and AMAG Automobil-und- Motoren AG the Stuttgart sports car manufacturer reorganized its activities on the European Market. In June 2008 the subsidiary Porsche Schweiz AG, based in Zug took over the import and distribution of Porsche vehicles, spare parts as well as accessories."
Cheers, Marc

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the clarification, @Marc. My Porsche dealer is part of AMAG, like another dealer in which I asked for a quote, which may have induced my error. Still, that doesn't change the fact that the movement of cars between the EU and Switzerland is not as simple as it is within the borders of the EU, nor the fact that importing a Porsche into Switzerland shoud neither be simpler nor more complicated than importing a VW, a Skoda, SEAT, Opel, Renault or whatever other car. And it doesn't make it right for a newcomer to write his second post in this forum in such terms, either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would think CH would do everything they can to accommodate getting more Porsche vehicles imported... I gave a couple "donations" when I was there in December, those speed cameras seem to be everywhere.

I am pretty sure I would lose my license with a Porsche and a couple trips over the Brunig pass.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Importing the car a few times is an administrative nightmare, even with the relatively efficient German/Swiss systems. Nevermind the financial cost, it will cost you time.

Can't you just arrange to take delivery in Switzerland and then drive to the factory and do everything as if you just took delivery there?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Importing the car a few times is an administrative nightmare, even with the relatively efficient German/Swiss systems. Nevermind the financial cost, it will cost you time.

Can't you just arrange to take delivery in Switzerland and then drive to the factory and do everything as if you just took delivery there?
I don't know if that would be possible, but well, I'm enjoying my GTS since March last year; that's what matters in the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts