Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question that I have not seen anywhere and could not find it in the manual, and I did read ALL the manual: How do you open the rear hatch when you have NO BATTERY power???

When my GTS was crashed, the first responders had to disconnect the battery trying to shut down the engine (which did not work, of course), but left the battery disconnected.

After that, the hatch was closed. Now the question is: How do you open it without electricity??? The doors, you can pop a tab and insert the key, but the hatch??? Can you pop the button out? I can't answer that myself as my former GTS is on its way to a junk yard awaiting to be auctioned off...

It is good to know, before you need to open it with a low battery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I copied this from the manual (iPad app)...

If the tailgate still cannot be opened (e.g. if the vehicle battery is flat), the tailgate must be opened using the emergency unlocking procedure:

Fold the rear seat backrests forwards.
Please see chapter "Folding rear seat backrests forward".
Get into the trunk over the folded rear seats.
Remove the cover on the emergency unlocking mechanism on the inside of the tailgate using a suitable object (e.g. screwdriver).
Actuate the lock for unlocking the tailgate in direction of arrow using a suitable object (e.g. screwdriver).
The tailgate audibly unlocks.
The tailgate can now be opened by hand.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Wow!!!! That sounds very easy!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I copied this from the manual (iPad app)...

If the tailgate still cannot be opened (e.g. if the vehicle battery is flat), the tailgate must be opened using the emergency unlocking procedure:

Fold the rear seat backrests forwards.
Please see chapter "Folding rear seat backrests forward".
Get into the trunk over the folded rear seats.
Remove the cover on the emergency unlocking mechanism on the inside of the tailgate using a suitable object (e.g. screwdriver).
Actuate the lock for unlocking the tailgate in direction of arrow using a suitable object (e.g. screwdriver).
The tailgate audibly unlocks.
The tailgate can now be opened by hand.

Reactions: Jammer

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I didn't have the iPad app, and for some reason could not find it in the paper manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wow!!!! That sounds very easy!!! :eek::eek::eek:
It wouldn't be a very quick escape, would it?:) Fortunately, if I understand the manual correctly the front doors can be opened from the inside just by pulling on the handles, even if they were locked and there's no battery power. The back doors need two pulls on the handles, as long as their child locks aren't activated.

Added:
By the way, I looked up this stuff for the Macan after reading about the incident last year where an old guy and his dog died in a locked Corvette.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/11/texas-man-dog-die-trapped-corvette/71053474/

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/12832-after-car-fanatic-dies-in-corvette-how-to-escape-a-locked-vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
It appears opening the tailgate only requires a quick press on the key (as opposed to "press and hole"). While I'm at home with Macan parked in my garage, I could see if the key is accidentally pressed (by other objects in the packet, playing with my 10-year-old, etc), the tailgate would open and easily hit the garage door (unless I backed into the garage so the car faces the garage door). Once I packed right outside of my bank and went in for a quick deposit. I must have somehow accidentally pressed the key at some point, came out and found my Macan with tailgate opened. Anyone knows if the key or car can be re-programmed to avoid this?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
That is something I am concerned everyday. I also park in my garage and there is not enough room to open the tailgate if the garage door is closed. Thus, if by any reason the tailgate opens while my car is parked inside my garage it will hit the garage door and it won't be good. Don't think you can do anything other than make sure your keys are safely placed where nobody will hit it by accident.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you are worried about hitting the garage door while the garage door is DOWN, I can't help. If you are worried about the hatch hitting the door while the garage is open, there is an easy solution. The height that the hatch opens can be adjusted, just check the manual. I did it 2 years ago, so I don't remember exactly how I did it.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Just a thought - and I am presuming that the tail gate is sooooo VERY close to the garage door - maybe the opening height can be programmed to open so narrowly that it does not open high enough to contact the gate.

Try this, when you open the tailgate, hold your hand low enough to restrict the opening height to where you can allow it to be -- maybe even just barely open, but at least open. That motion sets the opening height -- try the key again to see if it sets.

And on the other hand, there is a circumstance where the gate will NOT open at all when a trailer hitch is attached, so again there is a possibility that the function can be cancelled by programming at the dealer.

Will be anxious to know which works!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I don't have trailer hitch so I guess resetting the opening height is the only solution for now, although that means when I really need to open the tailgate I would have to manually lift it much higher each time. I'm just a bit surprised that this hasn't been a major issue for most people, especially when ladies have the key to go with all the other stuff in their purse... :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd see if you're dealer can disable that button on the key. Then you'd just use the button on the tailgate itself, which is conveniently located. That's really the only scenario that eliminates the possibility of it opening into a closed garage door.

·
Registered
221 Posts
To set the opening height, manually adjust the height, then press and hold the trunk close button for a few seconds. Car will beep indicating it has been set.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I allways back up into my garage to allow me to open the the tailgate completely.
If I drive in nose first, the tailgate hits the garage door.

Or you can allways apply some foam panelling there where the tailgate would hit should it open unexpectedly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I see 2 options. Either get the key button deactivated like @jimithing suggests, which covers all of your scenarios, or rely on the sensor in the lift hatch to stop the opening when it bumps your garage door. Now, none of us wants to see a scratch on the lift gate from the bump, so maybe attach a very small piece of "pool noodle" or pipe insulation to the spot on the garage door where the lift gate would hit. I applied a bit of insulation on my garage wall on the passenger side, as my garage is pretty narrow and I don't trust passengers to not hit the wall when entering/exiting.

Edit: Oops, I see this is very much what @Roadster is suggesting as well. Great minds...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I don't have trailer hitch so I guess resetting the opening height is the only solution for now,
If the dealer can disable the opener for a car that has a trailer hitch, then they can disable for your car whether or not it has a trailer hitch. Don't assume you need the physical hitch...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all - old thread here, but I"m new to the forum. This is exactly the scenario I have. Kind of amazed Porsched dropped the ball on this one, a quick bump in the pocket and that hatch opens. Going to have it deactivated next time I'm at the dealer (don't really ever use it). The garage is an issue too. Was looking for a possible hack online to reprogram the fob myself, but no such luck (yet).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This may have been mentioned before -

I have just discovered the rear hatch 'Open' button on the rear wiper.-
On the rear wiper is a button to open the trunk - no key needed , just an open car.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S
28 Posts
I am unable to open my hatch from the rear of my Macan without the key fob? Did I miss that option

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
74 Posts
You know about the button on the rear wiper arm, right?

Reactions: mplgaus
1 - 20 of 36 Posts