Porsche Macan Forum banner

Purchase Questions. New member

3K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  360spider 
#1 ·
Hello to All. Looking to purchase a pre-owned Macan S as my DD. Retiring end March, company car goes away.
Owned multiple Porsches years ago. Air-Cooled 911s and 930s when they were just used German cars! Now 6 figure collectables!
Budget I have set is $45k max. Looking at a 2018 Macan S(early build) for $42k(Porsche Dealer) with 41k miles. Looked at a 2018 Macan S CPO with 21k miles $49k. I don't see the $7k delta value.
Also see 2017 models at a considerable discount. 20~30k mile 2017 at 2018 higher mile prices.
Looking for input from owners with far more knowledge than I.
Very familiar with Porsche service and parts costs. Last 20 years have owned numerous Ferraris. Now there is a car that will burn a big hole in your wallet!
Have an excellent independent service shop locally, Stutgart Northeast, as a service facility. Do others here do any of their own maintenance? I do most of the services on my Ferraris.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I'm c. 50,000 into my first P-car (a 2018 S, coincidentally), but there are folks on the forum who've had dozens of them.

If you're interested in some sort of a warranty, I'd go with the CPOed one, which also has fewer miles. You don't really give enough info to know about features and suchlike, but I suspect the non-CPO will be out of its original factory warranty soon. So the CPO is nice.

This being the Internet, of course there are horror stories of very expensive out-of-warranty repairs. Also, CPO or not, if you're interested in getting an extended warranty, some of those require that in order to purchase their product the car must not have exceeded the original warranty.

As for DIY, there are many folks here who do all sorts of work on the cars, all the way from oil to brake to belt changes, to special add-on projects.

What you need to get in the habit of doing is using the Search Community box atop most pages here, and entering some key words, e.g., brake replacement, or oil change, and so forth. As the moderators and members point out periodically -- and rightfully so -- most questions have already been asked before, given that the number of members here and the half-dozen years that the Macan has been out.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Great to see many do basic maintenance items. I know the software requires a specialized Porsche Tool. I currently use an Autel instrument to communicate withe the 360 software. 20 years old so not as complex as new Bosch Motronic Systems.
Waffling between a low mile 2017 models and higher mile 2018. Later year better choice or lower mile older model better choice. Personal preference I would assume!

#4 ·
In August I purchased a CPO 2017 S with 19K miles for $46,500. My thought is since 2015-2018 models are identical, go with the lowest mile example you can find at your price point regardless of which model year. Once the CPO period is up, you're better off with less miles if you're planning on keeping it.

#5 ·
2017 cars were released in 2016 . They were the earliest launch I ever saw by Porsche . Thus a model year 2017 car can be an an older car in actual, age . It creamed 2016 cars in value at the time . I know I had one. I also bought an early launch 17 car too.

Your real deal hardship is 45K . it's enough to buy a car. Its just enough to buy a Porsche without factoring in some type of long term nit in the a$$ at some point . I know many will disagree . They will say they have CPO or aftermarket insurance . They will say they do their own work on the car .
All that means to me is they have a short term headache but its inevitable that at some point the big kahuna of an expense reveals itself to their face that the car is not a cheap car.

Porsche makes 200K cars . The guy taking his Gt3 to service is charged the same rate per hour as the guy with a base Macan . Parts are expensive . at some point the magical aftermarket warranty expires (not that its cheap either .. it surely is not free that's for sure) and he's left with a ticking time bomb of an expense risk .

I keep telling people at the 45K mark ... buy a new base car !!!! Go lean on options . That's 55K with discounts , But nope they want an "S" or a high mile GTS or transfer case as a paper weight .

I know ... anyone holding a higher mile car is more nervous than a Gamestop share holder .I mean this sincerely. I know you won't listen . One bitten by the Porsche bug what most want is someone to agree with him . So find a 45K car and I wish you well.

#6 ·
Or, perhaps, these $45k are worth two months of income and that's how much one is comfortable spending on a car? I have been driving cars worth 1-2 months of my income my whole life. One thing is when you get a mortgage to afford a $45k and another thing is when you sell 100 Tesla stocks and don't sweat. Granted the TS been driving ferraris all his life he's probably the latter. If you make good money doesn't necessarily mean you have to waste it.

#10 ·
Thank you for the replies and opinions! Looking at a Sapphire Blue CPO 2017 Macan S with 29k miles. Dealer serviced with records. All the bells and whistles. Also a 2018 Black CPO Macan S. $3k difference between the 2. Budget has been reset a bit higher. Local Porsche dealer with a 5 star rating.
Have purchased pre-owned Ferraris and Porsches for over 40 years! Well aware the cheapest to buy is not the cheapest to own!

#11 ·
Thank you for the replies and opinions! Looking at a Sapphire Blue CPO 2017 Macan S with 29k miles. Dealer serviced with records. All the bells and whistles. Also a 2018 Black CPO Macan S. $3k difference between the 2. Budget has been reset a bit higher. Local Porsche dealer with a 5 star rating.
Have purchased pre-owned Ferraris and Porsches for over 40 years! Well aware the cheapest to buy is not the cheapest to own!
I found both of your cars . The black one has less miles but it is regular black and would require more care to maintain the exterior. I have a regular black car . Its an indoor car and it does get care. The 17 is is interesting. It is a late model 17 (as per car fax) . It has more miles . Both were serviced at authorized dealerships . Both are one owner cars .

I happen to love black cars . I do feel the sapphire car is not a bad deal .

1 year newer , 8K miles difference for 3K ,

Drive both .. see which one talks to you.
Good luck.

#16 ·
You have a bit of time before you lose the company car ... broaden your search if you can, and consider a roadtrip (flight?) to pick it up and drive home, once you find the 'one'. As we get to end of quarter, more trades will come in, and dealers might become more aggressive in pricing (in order to make their quotas). I'd recommend a '17 or '18; unless you are a technology nut, the '17/'18 vehicles have perfectly adequate head units/connectivity/etc.

You could even retire, turn in your company vehicle, travel to your new car, and start retirement on a vacation before driving home. Not quite the same as a European delivery of a new build, but perhaps worth considering nonetheless.

#17 ·
I have purchased my prior "Toys" from out of state. CA, TN, NJ etc. Porsche 930 Flachbau from Biloxi! Beast of a Car!
Always shipped home. My wife is extremely high COVID risk category. My travel is cutailed for a while.

Need to research why yrralis1 is not in favor of the S but prefers the base Macan. Not as educated as I should be regarding the difference between the S and GTS.

#18 · (Edited)
I can help on all the above . You don't have to travel either . My wife and I are also very Covid conscious .
The first Gen S and second S are very different cars . One thing they both have in common is that the option list is long and the cars are expensive but they are not the best . So basically its high priced mediocrity . On top of that the first Gen car got upgraded into the GTS with every reason to buy it. This guy did a detailed analysis of why and created a sticky thread .Read it after you read the rest of my post as it will confirm in detail my points and add more. THIS is what makes the GTS different...

The second gen S is. single turbo engine . Its even more expensive by a lot than the last gen and its just not worth it . Whats above it in the GTS is that much better and what's below it in the base car can be that good of a deal for those cutting cost.

The Base and GTS of both cars are the sweet spot value . The Turbo is the luxury power car and its a bit excessive but I am a pig and I bought 3 of them . Oink Oink .

So if you really are measuring the merit the base with ,lean options is a fantastic car . Its lighter , nimble, handles beautifully, had enough low end punch for street use and decent space . Its small enough to fit in any parking spot with ease and works well in any weather. PLUS ITS NEW !!! You wont have to wipe off someone else's Covid cough of a used car if bought.

The GTS is an even more interesting gig . The link above details the first gen but they are priced too high even used . They really do hold value !!! The new gen car is amazing . It has the 2.9 twin turbo engine found in the Panamera (which costs 100K) and is the same engine but detuned as found in the Turbo. It really is a great value.

Here's a nice video. BTW the guy who did it @MT15 is also a friend of mine and a member of the forum . His videos are very informative .

#23 ·
I think that base/S/GTS/turbo are mediocrity and you shouldn't consider anything less than Urus (which costs $250k). And if you can't afford Urus just drive a bicycle (good exercise) and save on electric bills.

With all due respect mr.yrralis1 seem to be a snob.
Boy, I don't get that at all. A well informed, obviously affluent, enthusiast. If I had his address, I'd like to visit. I'm just a bit north of him in Pompano Beach. It would give me someplace to drive to ! Appropriate COVID precautions, of course.:)

#21 ·
Thank you again for all the insight. Bought the CPO Sapphire Blue Macan S with 29k miles yesterday. Looked at and drove several different Macans. At the dealer drove a black S with 21k miles as well. Sapphire Blue was far better optioned new $72k in 2017.
Great cars in showroom. 911T, GT3, Taycan, restored 912 etc.

#22 ·
It seems you had an interesting stroll through the field of opinions on this forum. Similar to a stroll through a field in nature, some of the steps we take may leave us with a beautiful image - a flower or an amazing sunset, while others may leave us with an unpleasant smell and the need to clean the bottom of our shoes. Take each in stride. Congratulations on your new ride and your upcoming retirement.

#31 ·
I drove a base as well as several S models. Did not test drive a GTS or Turbo. Actually I liked the base! Better performance and handling when compared to my soon to be gone company Nissan Murano(Good solid SUV).
Preferred the value in a preowned CPO S with options.
Regarding market. In the Boston area they seem to be moving market priced low mile models. Higher mile models tend to sit.
Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.