Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently bought this project car sight unseen. As far as I can tell, there is just a rolling body with a few interior parts and engine and transmission. I have no idea if there are keys, documents, screws and fasteners or other parts included - it gets delivered next week.

Trying to decide whether to rebuild it or part out the rest. I am strongly inclined towards a rebuild, as I don't want to kill a car, but it needs to financially make sense. Does anyone have an insight into whether this could be a viable project? I am an advanced DIYer and have changed my own clutches, IMS bearings, engine and transmission rebuilds, chain tensioners etc on 911s and Caymans so I am well equipped and not scared of the work.

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Aircraft Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Wood Shelf Sculpture Art Statue
\

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whoa! That would be quite the job. financially it doesn't make sense. Money put into a rebuild is usually never returned.
But first , what year and model is it? Is this the engine and trans that came out of the car? Do you have or have access to the software needed to have all the modules mated/reprogrammed? Do you have a garage with lift? What options are on the car.....does it have air suspension for example. Do you have access to expensive items like the headlights, interior pieces etc etc.
can it be done....sure. Can you make money on it....that depends on a lot of things that are unknown to me. I would not do it. You can buy a used Macan now in the $20,000 range.
If you do decided to continue...good luck and keep us all informed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it was bought by an autonomous vehicle company who were going to electrify it but they went out of business shortly after they started to strip the car. I bought it at the liquidation sale.

·
Registered
266 Posts
No, it was bought by an autonomous vehicle company who were going to electrify it but they went out of business shortly after they started to strip the car. I bought it at the liquidation sale.
I would try find a wrecked one and get all the missing parts for the rebuild. Copart is currently listing 131 Macans on their auction website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update: I have the car in the garage. Its a 2016, zero miles on the chassis and engine - it was brand new when disassembled by an automaker that was going to use it for an electric mule prototype, but they stopped work shortly after they started disassembly, pushed it into a corner and forgot about it until now.
Basically it has the engine, transmission, passenger seat, wheels, brakes and most of the suspension.
It is missing the drivers door, wiring harness, gas tank, dashboard controls and cluster, front lights, radiators, bumper, drivers seat, rear seat, seatbelts and all the fasteners / bolts that were removed.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Leg Hood Automotive design Gear shift Motor vehicle

·
Registered
130 Posts
You could get a nice sum for that engine and transmission......but I wonder why they didn't buy a cheaper Base Macan, if they were going to pull the drivetrain out?

Do you have the Title for the vehicle?

And it looks like you will have to do some "unwelding" if you want to restore it.

What did you pay for this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man there is a bunch of stuff you need. Hoses, the wiring is going to be a real adventure but doable, stability system stuff, abs stuff, intercoolers, piping, exhaust system with the catalytic converters, hangers, under body panels, interior carpet etc etc. Then once all together hopefully all the can bus stuff works and all the modules like each other. Doable but man what a project!. I would agree with an earlier post... you need a donor car. Remember, you will also have a salvage title so the overall value will not be nearly as good.It may actually be difficult to sell. Hats off to you....keep us all informed please! Love to see this completed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts