Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I moved from Oregon to Dallas, TX area. My '18 Macan S was transported on a trailer, pulled by a moving truck. When I unload it and started it up, Google Earth could not start properly. Instead, I got a regular-looking navigation screen with olive green background. I can switch back and forth between this "modified" Google Earth, and the traditional navigation.

After a couple of days I called Porsche Connect and spent about 45 min on the phone, while sitting in the car, following the instruction of the tech support person, trying to revive the Earth with no luck. So, I schedule appt with Grapevine Porsche for this morning. Last nigh I got a call from Grapevine Porsche Service, and the SA told me that currently Porsche is having a system-wide problem with the Earth and there are a lot of affected vehicles. He also told me that Porsche is working on the solution and they expect to push it out over the air before the end of the week. So, he rescheduled my appt for the next Monday, in case the problem does not get fixed with the over-the-air update.

Interestingly enough, I do not see a single complaint about massive Google Earth failure on this board. The Porsche Connect tech didn't mention anything about it either.

Has anyone had any problems with Google Earth lately?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Whole lot of flakiness going on right now with Porsche Connect and all of the features that depend on the cellular network. :( The good news is that there is unlikely to be anything wrong on your end. You'll just have to wait it out, and maybe reboot the system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too am having this issue in Dallas as of 3 days ago. I know its not my unit due to owning a Cayenne 2018 and a Macan 2018 that has both features always working and now they don't.
I simply get a spinning circle on both "loading Google Earth". I use this feature so I am looking for Porsche to quickly fix this problem. I have several calls into the Porsche service connect center, and am still waiting on a call back to inform me of what the issue is.
If any one reading this has more info...PLEASE POST!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having the same issue. All my other connect services work accept google earth. It started yesterday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This was porsche connect's tech support response:
Tech Support reviewed your case on the issue with Google Earth and they have recommended to have you setup a service call with your dealer for a SD software reset on his 2018 vehicle.

Steve, having both your vehicles out at the same time likely seems its on their end and hopefully should be resolved in the next few days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone tried a complete vehicle transfer reset? This reset looses all your data. I am avoiding this due to BOTH my vehicles effected and I don't want to have to load all my preset and options again not knowing if this is needed or not. I have tried a reset saving my personal data to no avail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have any update on this? I cannot get Porsche Connect to return my call as they promised regarding the resolution advice for this issue.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to Grapevine Porsche on
Monday morning with this issue. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just heard from Porsche Connect. They admit it is a world wide issue on Google Earth only. This person who called me back said they have no ETR at this time but when it is fixed it will auto correct itself. Lets hope its quick! Please post if yours comes up....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, I can vouch for the Porsche response. I’m in the uk and had a green map for about half a day in mine. Didn’t do anything and it just fixed itself though.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
A new data point....

I know that this is not Macan related, but I drove my little S5 yesterday since it was in the 30’s when I left for school and I was not brave to drive with my summer tires on my GTS, and Google Earth was not working in my Audi. I know I have plenty of data to support this on my plan since I have not driven my Audi since November 20th when I picked up my Macan and my data plan renews at the first of the month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After more research, I found this thread which does NOT make me happy!!

This would explain why Google Earth has now been down for a week- IT IS NEVER COMMING BACK ON VEHICLES 2018 and older!

I do know that Porsche and Audi have the same common technology. I WANT MY SUBSCRIPTION MONEY BACK!

Is any one else aware of tthis?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After more research, I found this thread which does NOT make me happy!!

This would explain why Google Earth has now been down for a week- IT IS NEVER COMMING BACK ON VEHICLES 2018 and older!

I do know that Porsche and Audi have the same common technology. I WANT MY SUBSCRIPTION MONEY BACK!

Is any one else aware of tthis?

I knew that about the Audi. My friend has a 2017 S5 and when he was trying to renew his subscription back in May, they told him that it was going away in December. I called Porsche dealer and they assured me that it was not the case for the Porsche.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Arnieosp- If true, that is GREAT news, although I always question what the dealer truly knows. This is a very big coincidence and being that Audi and Porsche cross pollinate on many parts/technology, this seems suspicious and a possible reason for this issue. Lasting over a week now, does not look good towards a world wide fix.
I am hoping for the best and lets keep this string going to share research and feedback discovered. The more involved, the more pressure gets put on Porsche for real answers and/or a quicker fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would think Porsche would be aware if it was discontinued and would have advised us on this if that was the case.

Ironically, they tried goggle Earth in a 2019 Macan and it worked and then tried in a 2019 Cayman and it did not. The 2019 Cayman uses the same hardware as the 2018 Macan. My guess is there was an update and the older system likely needs a patch in the software. I am going there tomorrow and should have more info then.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link about the Audi.

I guess I can be canceling my data plan to get google earth in my little S5.

She’s going into the dealer soon for her service I will for sure ask, not that they can help me out there.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts