Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have difficulty understanding why anyone would pre-order a Macan. The only reasons I come up with are you like to pay full MSRP, or you have lots of money lol. Ok or you don't want to miss out.

But I wince at throwing out $7-$10k non-refundable deposits on a vehicle you have never driven. It is only a few steps down from purchasing a house just based on the MLS pictures!

I guess if you are a Porsche fanatic, and are comfortable you are going to like it. But still, why not be certain and wait til they arrive? One of the responses is going to be because if you did that, you might not have one in May.

Some dealers I spoke with have half their pre-orders filled (say 30 out of 60). That is their allotment for the year. But if we all waited til it arrived, I guess the fight would be on to get one then. But we might all be getting discounts instead of full MSRP! I guess it speaks volumes to the brand as not sure if the Audis or BMWs would be at this level of demand. It is quite amazing. I guess I wait on the sidelines until the demo arrives in May and maybe wait again should I want one. Based on the demand now, I am guessing my wait might very well be worth it in the end...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you pre-order anything? Because you want to be an early adopter and enjoy it first before anyone else. Some people do it with iPhones and other electronics, others do it with cars....
No trolling here...I don't even know what you infer lol!

Totally understand..so......I pre-order my iphone5. I'm in say for $600, not $10k. It arrives and I hate the new features and return it for a full refund. Fast fwd to my new Macan. It arrives, and for $70k it rides too similar to the Q5. I ask to return it. I am shown the door and trip over my $10k deposit on the way out...seems a "tad" not the same.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
No trolling here...I don't even know what you infer lol!

Totally understand..so......I pre-order my iphone5. I'm in say for $600, not $10k. It arrives and I hate the new features and return it for a full refund. Fast fwd to my new Macan. It arrives, and for $70k it rides too similar to the Q5. I ask to return it. I am shown the door and trip over my $10k deposit on the way out...seems a "tad" not the same.
Like I said, some people prefer to do it with electronics, others do it with cars. They are fully aware of the risks. They know what they're getting themselves into. These people do the research required, hence why they're able to afford the car in the first place.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As HotIce says, it's all about each individual's risk propensity. Pre-ordering ensures you get your car earlier, and thus can enjoy it more, at the risk of not liking it in person / not being the right fit etc.

Some people are totally risk adverse, and must try and see something in person. Others have done their research, learnt about the brand and their consistency wrt quality, and have decided that in the worst case, it can only be so bad, and more than offset by the extra period of enjoyment.

When it comes to cars, I don't buy unless I can pay the full price of the car with extra cash not tied up in investments etc. I could comfortably stretch to the new 911 Turbo S but it's not the type of car I want atm; the Macan at AU$117k on-road with the options I want is a steal :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think it also just comes down to how rich you are - if you pre-order your iphone (like I did too), you acknowledge the risk of that money being ill spent.
Depending on your income level, $10k may be equivalent to $600

Some might consider that even buying a porsche is ludicrous, when a CRV/rav4/x3/Q5 can do the same thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I asked my dealer the very same question as Nicholascanada. The answer sold me: Because Porsche has never missed. Skeptics abounded with the launch of the Cayenne and then the Panamera and now both are two of highest regarded vehicles in their segment. It is unlikely the Macan will flop because there is too much at stake. Factor in a prestigious, dependable brand with an incredible legacy, introductory pricing -- it's a given the MSRP will jump next year -- and a lengthy waiting list, and it seemed like the time was right rather than milk another year out of my current ride (and its corresponding repair bills and depreciation). Is it gamble? Sure. But I prefer to call it a calculated risk.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I have put down a whopping $2500 which I understand is almost completely refundable.

This is based on a solid bevy of media reviews, technical specs, vehicle features that match my preferences almost perfectly, and most of all, the reputation of Porsche.

Still can't tell if troll....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have put down a whopping $2500 which I understand is almost completely refundable.

This is based on a solid bevy of media reviews, technical specs, vehicle features that match my preferences almost perfectly, and most of all, the reputation of Porsche.

Still can't tell if troll....
All great answers. I was really curious to hear everyone's views. Very enlightening. Other than I still don't know what a troll is lol.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
what are you talking about, he brings up an EXTREMELY valid point. Buying any vehicle is an investment, do you typically invest without due diligence? I know I dont.

Dropping $7K sight unseen is more than a bit foolish. Plus like Nicolas said preordering locks you into full MSRP....

First of all a vehicle is almost never an investment, it is a depreciating asset. And given that we are all considering luxury instead of A to B, I'd say this is pretty much the opposite of an investment. This is discretionary spending. Besides, you can do plenty of "diligence" without actually sitting in the vehicle.

No-one is going to get a discount on a brand new model unless they have some sort of special relationship with their dealer. I would not be surprised to see more and more dealer mark-ups as orders start to exceed supply (see new SRT Jeeps, Vipers, Shelby's). Unless Porsche has a policy against this. Being "locked into" MSRP is a non-issue, especially given this particular unit's relative value for dollar.

·
Registered
212 Posts
With my dealer deposits are completely refundable. If when the car arrives I don't like the color, or interior, he says he can sell it and i get my deposit back, or order another one and wait. So really, no risk. He also says this is the most interest he has ever seen about a new model in all his years selling Porsche's. that's why I got in line very quickly. I suspect befor long people putting deposits down will be looking at getting their Macan sometime in 2015. Consider that Porsche sells all the Cayenne's they can make. There is not going to be an oversupply of Macan's any time soon.

In terms of how the Macan will be, I test drove a Cayenne. That will give anyone who does so a very good idea about the Macan. It is not like this is the first SUV Porsche has ever made. We have a very good idea obout the Macan because the Cayenne already exists.

Also, full blown Macan tests will be out in the enthusiast magazines long before my Macan shows up in June. If the reviews were terrible (very unlikely given the reviews from quick partial day reviews that have been published) I could always get my deposit back substantially before my Macan arrives.

But each makes their own decision about whether to preorder or wait.

Gordon

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Other than I still don't know what a troll is lol.
A troll is someone who posts an intentionally incendiary comment on a forum for no other reason than to incite heated responses. I think based on your follow up replies here, you're not trolling. :)

I actually have a unique relationship with my dealer, and have simply spec'ed one of the early allocation units to my wanting. So no money down in my case, although I think I would still put a deposit down on this car if I were required to do so.

I've driven every of the non-exotic cars in the Porsche lineup, quite a few on the track, and I know based on that experience that there's no such thing as an average Porsche. I remember being skeptical about the Panamera when it was released, and then how blown away I was by that car when I got to drive one.

Line up the competition to this car, and when it comes to performance, reliability, styling, and the sheer amount of engineering put into the product, there's no doubt in my mind that the Porsche will come out on top in each of those categories. These are things that I value and can afford given the Macan's pricing.

I've driven X5's, owned an X3, don't like the X1, drove a Q5, and don't care for the MB offerings. The other models by Acura, Lexus, etc aren't in the same league, and the US domestic offerings pale in comparison. So I'm in the market for a crossover, don't like the other cars available, love Porsche as a brand and each of their cars specifically... it's a no brainer for me to get in line early without even a look at the car in the steel. Even if it's the one I dislike least, I'm still making a good move. But I truly feel this will be a car the wife and I will love driving.

People that don't feel the same way don't put down deposits until they drive one. And then begin the wait when they experience just how good the car is and wish they had signed up early. ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
With my dealer deposits are completely refundable. If when the car arrives I don't like the color, or interior, he says he can sell it and i get my deposit back, or order another one and wait. So really, no risk. He also says this is the most interest he has ever seen about a new model in all his years selling Porsche's. that's why I got in line very quickly. I suspect befor long people putting deposits down will be looking at getting their Macan sometime in 2015. Consider that Porsche sells all the Cayenne's they can make. There is not going to be an oversupply of Macan's any time soon.

In terms of how the Macan will be, I test drove a Cayenne. That will give anyone who does so a very good idea about the Macan. It is not like this is the first SUV Porsche has ever made. We have a very good idea obout the Macan because the Cayenne already exists.

Also, full blown Macan tests will be out in the enthusiast magazines long before my Macan shows up in June. If the reviews were terrible (very unlikely given the reviews from quick partial day reviews that have been published) I could always get my deposit back substantially before my Macan arrives.

But each makes their own decision about whether to preorder or wait.

Gordon
I NEED the name of your dealer!!! Seriously.

I have $2k down for a refundable deposit until I put my final build order in (which I plan to do only after the test drive)

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
For me, its a matter of timeing but also a slight risk. My extended warranty on my LR2 is up in April and I can have a new Macan in May... I've done a pre-order on my last two cars without test driving and have not been dissapointed... I always gather as much pre-release info i can find, making this forum extremely valuable! Besides, do u think Porsche could mess up this type of offering with so much at stake? This car is a bit over my budget too (the "slight risk"), but I'm going for a midlife crisis disquised as an SUV, giving up off road prowess of my Land Rover for better (I'm sure, even without driving it) on road dynamics. As mentioned in another thread, I might not get the chance later to have this privilege.
As far as a nonrefundable deposit, its likely that anyone who just hates their new Macan once they're behind the wheel for the first time could probably turn around and sell the car for a $10,000 profit to someone who didn't act fast enough, but wished they had... I've been watching the progress of the car for well over a year and can only see myself loving this, my first Porsche, the moment I hit the petal with my right foot.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.