Porsche Macan Forum banner

PPF and Ceramic coating recommendations

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  fastfreddy 
#1 ·
I know there are COUNTLESS threads on this. But as a newbie it's a bit overwhelming and I'm looking to consolidate my ask (at least I hope so).
I just got notice that my baby is scheduled for late August delivery (Macan GTS) after a long delay due to covid.
I'm now starting to look into the crazy world of paint protection and overall car care.

From the research I've done so far, I'm leaning to a PPF with ceramic on top.
  • it looks like the most popular options for PPF are xpel and suntek. Are there others I should consider? (I just read that xpel has a newish offering that will cover the full hood of a macan)
  • PPF is a no brainer for me. Is ceramic on top totally overkill?
  • If others have done this combination, what ceramic do you recommend?

Quick stats:
Macan GTS - Midnight blue
Daily driver
Atlanta roads (I thought Bay area roads were bad but the construction on ATL highways is insane)
I like to wash my own vehicle (very therapeutic) so I'm also looking into all the products that would be used during detailing sessions.

Thanks folks!

See less See more
#7 ·
Although several forum members lean heavily toward ceramic coatings, you would be well advised to thoroughly review the content at the following:

That said, my Macan has PPF. I coat it with a Sonax product once or twice a year.

Good luck!

#8 ·
I had Xpel PPF installed... mine was the first Macan my installer had done using the newly available 72" roll that allows the hood to be done in one piece. Very happy with the results.

Every 6 months I wax both the paint surfaces and the PPF surfaces, and occasionally use a spray detailer after washing. I like doing that so I see no need for a ceramic coating.

Reactions: LaquelWC
#9 ·
So I had the Xpel approach done when it was a new car. Let me tell you about the downsides to this stuff. Every time you have a little 'connection' to anything you have to redo the Xpel. The net result is BIG bucks to fix. I am giving consideration to keeping this stuff to a minimum on my next car.

#10 ·
That was my experience on my 911. The original owner had the ENTIRE car wrapped with PPF which at the time I bought the car seemed like a great bonus. But I got a couple of dings (1/8” or so) and the only fix was to replace the entire film section. One was on the driver side door and it was going to be something like $1500 to repair because the entire door (door cards, handles,etc) had to be removed because the film was wrapped around all the edges and tucked in. So I didn’t do it and it just kept looking rattier. I was just about to have the entire PPF removed (was 8 years old) but traded in the car for my Macan.

#11 ·
I have PPF on my cars and have had been doing that to them since the early 2000's. I think it is a worthy investment and keeps the cars from getting all rock chipped. I have never done ceramic coating because I can't get past the $1,000 wax job mentality. I know it is way better than wax, but still. I do wax my cars 4 times per year and they always look nice.

#14 ·
Hi all -

Getting my 2023 Macan S in a couple of months. I’m wondering if it’s worth getting a full body PPF for roughly $6.5k, or if I should get full front for $2.2k and get ceramic coating for the rest for $1.2k.

I understand that CC and PPF serve different functions, however, from what I understand, most of the damage that PPF mitigates comes from the front.

Those of you with full body PPF - was it worth it? Those with full front PPF - is it enough?

#16 ·
For touch surfaces you’d be better of doing a protection film on it as that will provide a lot better scratch resistance than a ceramic coating. You can buy precut ones for the touch screen. Most people will have their local ppf installer do it for them though and they can also do the other surfaces at the same time. I’ve had a few center consoles covered in ppf that had gloss black on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.