Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got quoted locally in Norcal $1300 to have both of these done at a shop nearby. What did folks here pay and does this seem reasonable?

Blackout chrome trim-$400
Powder coat OEM 19" turbo design rims-$900

Total = $1300

Appreciate the insight!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Depends on where you are in the country but the prices above seem good.

As a frame of reference when I got my Macan in San Diego I paid $350 for a full chrome delete and got quoted anywhere from $600-$900 for powder coating, depending on the service. I relocated back to the Chicagoland area and got same day powder coating done for $360. Powder coating itself isn't hard but just like anything, the quality is determined by the prep work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Trim blackout seems spot on, exactly what I paid. Powdercoat is on the high end. I've spent $150 a wheel on multiple ocassion, the last on my tt-rs with 20" wheels... And that included a base and a clear.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Blackout window trim on Amazon, $30. Two rattle cans (gray and clear coat) for silver wheels from a paint specialty company, in a Porsche gray, $60. Blackout Porsche script on the hatch using 1 can of black Plastidip, $8. Dental floss to remove Macan S $2 and some masking tape I had around. A few weeknights of my own time and $100 and done. Had another Porsche guy this week checking out the ride and said he wanted one just like it. Nice props

·
Registered
92 Posts
My friend owns a powder coat shop and he’s $600 with one day service for all 4 wheels including tire mounting and balancing. But you have to have your car there at 7AM.

power coat is nice because it’s ground up plastic that is baked on, and creates a vacuum tight coating of plastic. It can withstand temps up to 600F and can absorb Little Rock’s and pebbles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My friend owns a powder coat shop and he’s $600 with one day service for all 4 wheels including tire mounting and balancing. But you have to have your car there at 7AM.

power coat is nice because it’s ground up plastic that is baked on, and creates a vacuum tight coating of plastic. It can withstand temps up to 600F and can absorb Little Rock’s and pebbles.
I wish I lived close to your friend. (Smile)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious what method they use to black out the window trim.
I didn't ask but assumption was it was vinyl. I'd definitely clarify before moving forward.

Depends on where you are in the country but the prices above seem good.

As a frame of reference when I got my Macan in San Diego I paid $350 for a full chrome delete and got quoted anywhere from $600-$900 for powder coating, depending on the service. I relocated back to the Chicagoland area and got same day powder coating done for $360. Powder coating itself isn't hard but just like anything, the quality is determined by the prep work.
Yeah, I think the area I'm in would lean towards being pricier

Trim blackout seems spot on, exactly what I paid. Powdercoat is on the high end. I've spent $150 a wheel on multiple ocassion, the last on my tt-rs with 20" wheels... And that included a base and a clear.
Thanks for the insight. Did you black out the rest of the car? I was thinking about just the window trim and rims.

My roof rails are aluminum though, and wonder if the side markers, lights, etc would also be better to modify

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently had the 20" Turbos on mine powder coated black for $600. I'm in Salinas.

View attachment 244564
Looks nice! Is the shop in Salinas? Got a link to the shop website, Yelp or contact details?

Blackout window trim on Amazon, $30. Two rattle cans (gray and clear coat) for silver wheels from a paint specialty company, in a Porsche gray, $60. Blackout Porsche script on the hatch using 1 can of black Plastidip, $8. Dental floss to remove Macan S $2 and some masking tape I had around. A few weeknights of my own time and $100 and done. Had another Porsche guy this week checking out the ride and said he wanted one just like it. Nice props

View attachment 244565
Nice work! Which blackout trim product did you use? 3m tape or something else? Link would be awesome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks nice! Is the shop in Salinas? Got a link to the shop website, Yelp or contact details?

Here's their link: PILOT

The $600 was just for the powder coating; you have to take the dismounted wheels to them as they don't do any tire work. The turnaround wasn't fast due to them being really slammed with work when I took mine in, but I'm happy with their work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know if you have the tire and rim warranty package through Porsche, if you somehow curb the powder coated rim and use the warranty, how do they repair it?

Will Porsche apply back some black coating back to the rim?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh got it - good to know. Thanks. I think I'd be looking for a shop that could just take the rims off and coat the rims.

Appreciate the info tho!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Does anyone know if you have the tire and rim warranty package through Porsche, if you somehow curb the powder coated rim and use the warranty, how do they repair it?

Will Porsche apply back some black coating back to the rim?
Did you get an answer to your damage question? I'm also interested. I saw a satin bronze Powder Coating on a Macan somewhere here on the Forum. Looked great. I think it would set off my Chalk GTS quite nicely.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m under the impression tire and wheel coverage no longer covers curbing.
What makes you say that?

Also - how could they remove that if is what has been sold to you at the time of purchase?

Do you mean for new purchases of the warranty? Or you mean in general?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What makes you say that?

Also - how could they remove that if is what has been sold to you at the time of purchase?

Do you mean for new purchases of the warranty? Or you mean in general?
I say it from my experience purchasing 7 new Porsches, 3 Macans (an S and 2 Turbos), a Panamera 4, two 911s, and now my Cayenne GTS, all between 2015 - 2021. I don’t keep vehicles long term. 3 of the 7 were purchased from the same dealer In Ct. The others ranged from NYC to 2 different dealers in NJ to Jackson, Mississippi. Of the 7 transactions, I weakened only once and purchased the wheel and tire policy. I only kept that Macan for 10 months. It was the last of the three. Each attempt to sell me the policy, during the sales pitch I’d ask what it covered and asked if it covered curb rash. I was told it did not. I am not saying if your policy covers it that they have or can change it after the fact. That would be absurd and illegal.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I say it from my experience purchasing 7 new Porsches, 3 Macans (an S and 2 Turbos), a Panamera 4, two 911s, and now my Cayenne GTS, all between 2015 - 2021. I don’t keep vehicles long term. 3 of the 7 were purchased from the same dealer In Ct. The others ranged from NYC to 2 different dealers in NJ to Jackson, Mississippi. Of the 7 transactions, I weakened only once and purchased the wheel and tire policy. I only kept that Macan for 10 months. It was the last of the three. Each attempt to sell me the policy, during the sales pitch I’d ask what it covered and asked if it covered curb rash. I was told it did not. I am not saying if your policy covers it that they have or can change it after the fact. That would be absurd and illegal.
I don't believe you got good advise.

From the Tire and Wheel Policy:

2. If a wheel suffers Structural Damage, Administrator will reimburse You for (1) an approved replacement wheel of like kind and quality, and which meets the manufacturer’s specifications, including diameter measurement, at the average regional retail market rate and (2) the approved costs associated with the replacement including mounting, balancing, valve stems, environmental fees and taxes.

6. If an alloy or steel wheel suffers Cosmetic Damage that can be repaired by sanding, painting or refinishing the wheel without the need to (i) apply an additive material to the wheel or (ii) bend or straighten the wheel. We will authorize the repair of the Cosmetic Damage utilizing Our authorized wheel repair network. Administrator will determine the best repair process for the Cosmetic Damage.

Sure sounds like "curb rash" to me.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Not all policies are equal or the same. I’m sure if that was included in the policies they’d lick cow manure from your boots to get you to buy, they wouldn’t have said it wasn’t.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts