Porsche Macan Forum banner

361 - 366 of 366 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I think your characterization of MSM is gratuitous.

You're kidding, right?

So-called MSM is typically highly biased with various political axes to grind - depending on the medium.

With the concentration of ownership of internet, print and broadcast sources, the chances of finding a complete
picture of any situation have become severely diminished. We are at a point where people have come to believe
the term Fox News actually provides them:

1.with something that truly is newsworthy

2. with some sort of balanced reporting of/for that 'newsworthy' item

Pundits spewing their opinions is not an act of news reporting. It is really a form of propaganda. Years ago there was
a commercial on television which showed someone turning a knob on a radio, with each station providing endless
talking. The voiceover said, "Continuous Communist propaganda". The ad was soliciting financial support for Radio
Free Europe. How similar this is to the current situation on web sites, TV and radio broadcast and print in the US today.
(I am not stating the US is being bombarded solely by Communist propaganda - though it is probably in the mix!).

Most people seem to have lost the ability to ask "who is reporting the information?" and "what motivation do they have
for reporting it?
" - and the manner in which it is presented.

I believe it's called, thinking.

I saw a t-shirt that stated: Think Responsibly.

:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
7,117 Posts
The link you posted has a link to a technical note that says … To understand what this means, you need to know that neither the f.o.b. nor c.i.f. Terms mentioned include duty (as opposed to DDP for example).
@dgkli, thank you. Indeed, I am corrected about this gov study. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ximpim.nr0.htm does have a technical note to https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ximpim.tn.htm In turn, fob and cif do NOT include duty. Good find. :)

I don’t see how that changes “Until now, I don't know about anyone else, but I have felt zero effects of Chinese products." And I stand by that. The CPI is at what, 1.5%? There is no inflation. I know of no product I have bought that has gone up in price.” Overall import prices, minus tariffs are down -2%. When you deflate currency, it knocks down the price of everything, not just the tariffed items. From JP Morgan on the first round, May 15 "the People’s Bank of China responded by devaluing the yuan by 10 percent against the US dollar. The falling exchange rate more than offset the tariffs’ effect on retail prices". That sure sounds like the definition of currency manipulation and is line with my feeling I have felt zero.

Lets look at what the reporters say, all dated round Aug 20. Watch the consistent Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) being spread. Look at the fear words spread.

US tariffs on China could cost American households $1,000 per year, JPMorgan says

"Trump is playing with fire"
"tariffs on China will wipe out most of the benefits households got from the Republican tax cuts."
"threatens to set off a severe slowdown or even recession."
"recession fears spiked"

I'm scared. Scary and its not even Halloween yet. :eek:

Yahoo Tariffs will now cost American households up to $1,000 per year: J.P. Morgan
Fox uses Yahoo as a source 🤔 "Yahoo Finance reported the $1,000 hit to American households would be up from about $600"
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/china-trade-war-tariffs-have-cost-us-34-billion-2019-10-1028588045
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2019/09/09/trump-tariffs-will-soon-cost-us-families-thousands-of-dollars-a-year/#ddaa6a05b4b1

Where is the data to back this all up? Forbes provides "the cost for the average household would be $3,614,” conclude David G. Tuerck, a professor of economics at Suffolk University"

Show me the math.

FUD. I feel nothing. Not a penny caused by this so far. Next the MSM in general.

·
Super Moderator
7,117 Posts
When you actively disparage “MSM” as a generality, without citing convincing examples, you risk playing into a particular political narrative. ..If you want to make the general statement, “verify your sources,” then I’m with you.
Yes, verify. They don't give you anything to verify. Articles are consistently interspersed with anonymous sources. Here are two examples from opposing political POVs.

Journalist Ethics contains things like: identify sources, support open views even if you hate the other view, and provide access to source material. How much of that do you see today?

Example 1

June 13, 2019, US Dept of Agr announces move of two agencies
Cost/Benefit Analysis

Headline Gutting of two USDA research agencies is warning to all federal agencies, ex-employees say

NO :eek::eek::eek: I'm scared. Gutting? What will we do? This is terrible

Who do they quote? Themselves :rolleyes: Look at the emotional words used

It’s a “sudden announcement” NO, it was June 13, 14 weeks ago :rolleyes:

Oh no, It’s a war on science. Three links to themselves again. :rolleyes:

Now fear: “effectively crippled” So scary. So what is the ERS and NIFA? For the people, I feel for them. This is serious. They either move or lose the job. This is not about them. Its about how the move is portrayed. They have a right to their feelings. I'm sure they are hardworking. The ERS does statistics. The NIFA issues grants.

Show me the analysis where if they stopped for six months people would die or be harmed. In Aug, 1981, Reagan fired 11,000 air traffic controllers. What will we do? The actually had your life in their hands. Nothing happened. Poof, all gone and banned from working in the FAA for life. Yet, the US survived without them. They used supervisors and military and everything was fine. And these were people you actually need to run transportation. Even if everyone here quits, they will be replaced.

Oh no!!! "many remain skeptical that the two agencies will ever recover." No source again. And if the FAA recovered firing 11,000, these tiny agricultural offices will recover too.

But here is the part that really bothers me, “To implement the relocation plan …. without even the clear legal authority to do so” what? Lets see what the IG says about that? Section 2, p. 5

"Does the Department Have the Legal Authority to Relocate ERS and NIFA Offices?

The Department identified Section 4 of the Reorganization Plan17 as the basis for its legal authority to relocate ERS and NIFA offices. The Department also provided, as additional authority, the General Services Administration’s (GSA) Federal Management Regulation, which states: “[e]ach Federal agency is responsible for identifying the delineated area within which it wishes to locate specific activities, consistent with its mission and program requirements, and in accordance with all applicable statutes, regulations, and policies. We found that these authorities provide the Secretary with the legal authority to make management decisions to relocate ERS and NIFA offices..”

Why was this report not in the article? 🤔

The move has to be hard on the employees. I feel for them. My wife went through something similar, It happens all the time. One day the office say We're moving", next day they are gone. You can come or quit. Your choice. This is COMMON. Its not like this is the first time this ever happened nor will it be the last. So what? The world will go on.

Example 2, the other side. Fox news poll: Record Support for Trump impeachment"

Ooh, Doesn't look good for POTUS. Lets go to the poll After q. 56? Who answers 56 questions? People actually sit through this on the phone? Anyway,

Dem polled 48%
Rep polled 40%

Hmm, 48 - 40 = 8% oversampled. Yep, I'm going to believe that headline. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK, addressing the reliability of MSM. The problem is, "Main Stream Media" is now a loaded term, often thought of as synonymous with "fake news." Many people who use the term are talking about the NYT, the Washington Post, CNN, NBC, ABC and CBS. I may be wrong (to the earlier poster...) but I think Fox News is frequently not included in this definition of MSM.

Many people contrast MSM with alternative sources (web sites, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) The problem is, the latter sources are typically even less reliable than MSM.

I can only speak for myself: I try to research any story that I think is important, looking for evidence to support it (or being aware of the lack of supporting evidence.) I read several MSM sources, but I am constantly on the look out for bias in stories and headlines (which is really really easy to find, unfortunately.) But you have to get your information somewhere. I do not trust, but I do verify.

Many people lie, but some do so more voraciously than others (if "voraciously lying" is a thing.)

·
Super Moderator
7,117 Posts
OK, addressing the reliability of MSM. The problem is, "Main Stream Media" is now a loaded term, often thought of as synonymous with "fake news." Many people who use the term are talking about the NYT, the Washington Post, CNN, NBC, ABC and CBS. I may be wrong (to the earlier poster...) but I think Fox News is frequently not included in this definition of MSM.

Many people contrast MSM with alternative sources (web sites, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) The problem is, the latter sources are typically even less reliable than MSM.

I can only speak for myself: I try to research any story that I think is important, looking for evidence to support it (or being aware of the lack of supporting evidence.) I read several MSM sources, but I am constantly on the look out for bias in stories and headlines (which is really really easy to find, unfortunately.) But you have to get your information somewhere. I do not trust, but I do verify.

Many people lie, but some do so more voraciously than others (if "voraciously lying" is a thing.)
I'm good with the Urban Dictionary definition "the major networks and newspapers" That would be the big 4 networks and all their holdings, that is, ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox. NBC, for example, would include MSNBC and CNBC. Same with Fox and Foxnews, Fox Financial Network, and the myriad of Fox Sports Networks. Papers are the major papers, the paper of record, NYT, WAPO, possibly Chicago Tribune, LA Times, and Boston Globe.

I disagree with the social media definition. Those are platform, not reporters. NOT=MSM would be everything else, usually on the extremes of a bias scale. For example https://sharylattkisson.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Screen-Shot-2017-04-23-at-1.43.33-PM.png Sheryl Attkisson, former CBS, chart on bias.

Media like Vox, Time, Atlantic Huffpo CNN, far, far left = not MSM, similarly Townhill, Twitchy, Newsmax, Breibart = not MSM. BTW, if this were 2001, I would have considered CNN part of MSM but no more. Their ratings are so terrible that people would rather Nickelodium HGTV, and a myriad of other tiny networks than the heavily biased POV the now represent. IOW, Major, mean major and they are no longer a major network based on ratings.

BTW, here is a car example I read today. The Tesla Model S is the New American "Dream Car"

Its a massive advertisement for Tesla and its the "new" dream car? So how did they arrive at that? They looked at tweets and the hashtags. That has to be worse than oversampling a poll. Who cares about twitter hashtags in the auto world? The enthusiast are reading the auto journals, CAR, auto week, etc, not twitter. They don't even recognize this tech bias yet Gear Patrol does.

"... take this not-particularly-scientific study with a grain of salt. The results likely correlate more strongly with social media usage patterns than widespread state-wide sentiment. Tesla owners, for instance, may be more likely to be tech-savvy active social media users .... Or Camaro owners, for example, may be more fond of that particular “#dreamcar” hashtag than, say, Land Cruiser drivers."

This is a technology bias. How many people don't even have a twitter account, have no time to read it, yet love cars? Nor care about hashtags.

At least Gear Patrol gets it. But the source material looks like a Tesla press release. But a casual reader might think

😳 The Tesla S is the biggest dream car is the US? WOW!

They don't even present the actual data. Of the 100K tweets, how many liked the new C8? How many even know it exists?

361 - 366 of 366 Posts