Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In discussions with a seller to potentially buy his used 2015 macan turbo. I had the maintenance records pulled and the most recent entry indicated shows 15 days of warranty work for "37340 double clutch transmission/1812 worn out, too much play".

I can't see the details of what repair was done, etc., but I'd like to be informed before I speak to the seller about it. Does this look like a potential PDK rebuild/replace to you guys?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well.. I am not an expert, but "too much play" does not sound good...
Maybe previous owner took it to racing track too much? too many hard acceleration?
I would say too much play equals too much stress on transmission. I would not buy that car if I were you. I wouldn't want to risk buying a used car that could potentially cost you thousands of dollars in future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did as much research on the boards as I could before speaking to the seller. Apparently the car was making an odd "hiss" noise when going in/out of sports+. When the dealer diagnosed it they determined an entire new transmission was required to remedy. It was replaced under warranty about 3k miles ago.

Couldn't find any evidence of anyone else experiencing these symptoms. That being said I'm not positive the majority of porsche owners are active forum members.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like there must be more to the story. An MY15 is still under warranty?

How many miles does the car have on it now? PDK replacements on the Macan are relatively rare, although not completely unheard of. Wonder if it was merely the Megatronic unit that was replaced rather than a complete transmission.

Is there a warranty on the new PDK?

Obviously you will want to have a PPI done by a trusted source if you are still interested in the car. Can think of at least one forum member who would argue a rebuilt PDK is in some ways better than a brand new one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car was CPO'd and is actually still under warranty for a few months. And yes, car is getting a PPI done on Friday for peace of mind. He has the service records from the replacement to the tune of $30k, so it looks like it was the entire transmission replaced.

·
Super Moderator
2,029 Posts
Well.. I am not an expert, but "too much play" does not sound good...
Maybe previous owner took it to racing track too much? too many hard acceleration?
I would say too much play equals too much stress on transmission. I would not buy that car if I were you. I wouldn't want to risk buying a used car that could potentially cost you thousands of dollars in future.

The post stated that "15 days of warranty work" had been completed regarding the DCT issue. That may be a good thing - the
issue may be resolved.

The potential buyer should contact the seller and the dealership where the work was performed in order to better understand
the situation.

Remember, you're trying to advise this forum member - track time and/or hard accelerations are actually guesses on your part.
If I was selling my Macan and had recently replaced the tires, should a potential buyer shy away because I'd worn out the
previous set? Would worn tires suggest abusive driving?

OP - If you're really interested in the car, pursue conversations with both the seller and the place you obtained the service
records.

Good luck!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wondering about the $30,000. If the repair was done under warranty, would not the receipt state zero dollars?

The full MSRP price of a new transmission is a bit more than $25,000, (and they are substantially discounted routinely). Could there possibly be a labor charge to replace a transmission of several thousand dollars?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm waiting to see the actual service records, but I would suspect $5,000 in labor would be on the low end. All warranty work I've ever had done shows total cost, but then zero'd out on the invoice (*experience from non-porsche cars however).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh if it's any less than 20 hours I'd be amazed - but that's mostly based on my pesicissm towards the service departments.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The post stated that "15 days of warranty work" had been completed regarding the DCT issue. That may be a good thing - the
issue may be resolved.

The potential buyer should contact the seller and the dealership where the work was performed in order to better understand
the situation.

Remember, you're trying to advise this forum member - track time and/or hard accelerations are actually guesses on your part.
If I was selling my Macan and had recently replaced the tires, should a potential buyer shy away because I'd worn out the
previous set? Would worn tires suggest abusive driving?

OP - If you're really interested in the car, pursue conversations with both the seller and the place you obtained the service
records.

Good luck!
Wow are you trying to compare worn tire to possibly rebuilt PDK?
I am just sharing my opinion with OP :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it was just an illustration. For me, personally, if I am able to get a 30k mile macan with a brand new PDK and everything checks out, that's actually in my benefit (again, me personally - understand some people may not feel the same way)

·
Super Moderator
2,029 Posts
Oh if it's any less than 20 hours I'd be amazed - but that's mostly based on my pesicissm towards the service departments.
FWIW, when I owned a 1985 BMW 535i, I had to replace the clutch assembly at some point. The
dealer shop manual stated 1 hour to remove the transmission. I had some issues with the job (DIY)
and had the trans in/out more than once. By the time I was done, I could remove it in 1 hour:

- place the car on 4 jackstands

- remove exhaust system

- remove driveshaft

- disconnect wiring & shifter

- remove transmission (HEAVY - using a floor jack underneath the car - on jackstands)

20 hours seems like a LOT of time to me for a shop with all of the special tools. Maybe 20 hours in/out and
some other work?

In any event, it's whatever the Porsche shop rate manual states...

·
Registered
979 Posts
I was at the dealer picking up a part for the Cayenne and happened to bump into one of the service advisors who I know. He was on his way out to lunch, and I did not want to interrupt him, but he said
he’s fairly certain it’s under two hours, and not a chance that it’s more than three.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Did as much research on the boards as I could before speaking to the seller. Apparently the car was making an odd "hiss" noise when going in/out of sports+. When the dealer diagnosed it they determined an entire new transmission was required to remedy. It was replaced under warranty about 3k miles ago.

Couldn't find any evidence of anyone else experiencing these symptoms. That being said I'm not positive the majority of porsche owners are active forum members.
They're not. But knowing the PDK was replaced would ease my mind if I were in the market to buy a '15. Personally, I would try to purchase a newer model, say a 17-18. I say this cause I own an '18.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
I've been told that the engine needs to come out to in order to correctly replace the transmission in a Macan. No clue how long that takes but guessing at least 2 full days of work minimum is reasonable.

Reguarless I agree with the OP,, a new transmission with only 3K on it sounds pretty good to me,

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been told that the engine needs to come out to in order to correctly replace the transmission in a Macan.
Who told you that?

We are one of the few Macan owners who had to have the PDK totally replaced. It was when our GTS was brand new. We kept getting various warning messages despite the fact that it seem to be operating OK, except for an occasional noise that sounded like a bad pump when it was in reverse.

The dealer finally ended up telling us Porsche instructed them to replace the entire unit, and they said it was OK for us to keep using the car while they procured a new transmission from Germany, which took about three weeks.

I dropped the car off early in the morning, and by midday they called and said that it was ready to be picked up. They definitely replaced the entire PDK as I saw the old unit sitting on a stand.

Never had any further problems, so I assume the work was done correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Who told you that?

We are one of the few Macan owners who had to have the PDK totally replaced. It was when our GTS was brand new. We kept getting various warning messages despite the fact that it seem to be operating OK, except for an occasional noise that sounded like a bad pump when it was in reverse.

The dealer finally ended up telling us Porsche instructed them to replace the entire unit, and they said it was OK for us to keep using the car while they procured a new transmission from Germany, which took about three weeks.

I dropped the car off early in the morning, and by midday they called and said that it was ready to be picked up. They definitely replaced the entire PDK as I saw the old unit sitting on a stand.

Never had any further problems, so I assume the work was done correctly.
A couple of years ago a long time friend and Goldmister Porsche tech told me while we were at lunch or something. I may have misunderstood, but I remembering being shocked to hear that when told. I'm glad your Macan was fixed completely and is running great.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A couple of years ago a long time friend and Goldmister Porsche tech told me while we were at lunch or something. I may have misunderstood, but I remembering being shocked to hear that when told. I'm glad your Macan was fixed completely and is running great.
Thanks. Then again I saw someone posted some pictures the other day of a transfer case replacement where the entire engine, PDK and transfer case has been pulled out of the car. So who knows what the story really is.

Perhaps some techs use some authorized or unauthorized shortcuts, and others don’t? Would not be the first time I’ve seen this at a Porsche dealer.

Another example is where we have seen dealers removing engines to replace the timing cover gasket. But yet a forum member posted instructions on how to avoid that, and the instructions they posted seem very viable and hardly risky. Difficult to believe that one of us would discover that shortcut versus it not be discovered by a dealer tech.

·
Registered
134 Posts
On the Macan they drop the entire front subframe with engine, transmission and front suspension all in one unit.

It's by design, and it's a good one. It makes reaching all the tricky fasteners easier and there are a lot of quick disconnects. Plus the dealers are well practiced.

When I had my boxster and had to take the engine out I started with the transmission and then removed the engine. When I was doing it I was sure you could drop the whole thing out as I described above

Was at the dealer buying a gasket. I saw a boxster on the lift and they were dropping the whole thing. With the right lift would be a quick job

1 - 20 of 22 Posts