Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Exciting news - not long now. Also, I'm genuinely curious - living in New York City, is car ownership common? Or is public transport and/or taxis/uber more prevalent?
Great question! So I have a place on Long Island that I stay at quite a bit and I have been holed up in during the pandemic. Let's put it this way the 2017 Macan I am trading in after 4 years has 11k miles on it. So I typically take mass transit/Uber more often. Which is how most people in Manhattan get around. The ones that have second homes will typically have cars.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Great question! So I have a place on Long Island that I stay at quite a bit and I have been holed up in during the pandemic. Let's put it this way the 2017 Macan I am trading in after 4 years has 11k miles on it. So I typically take mass transit/Uber more often. Which is how most people in Manhattan get around. The ones that have second homes will typically have cars.
I see, how fascinating. I lived in Ohio for a short while in my early twenties and frequented New York quite often. Getting around (mostly by taxi, as Uber didn't exist eight years ago) was generally quite easy, but no doubt, if I ever moved to New York (or the US for that matter) a car would be an absolute must. Thankfully, Melbourne is quite a vast city (with admittedly excellent public transport), with plenty of road trip options around the state of Victoria - definitely a positive if you're a passionate car enthusiast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I see, how fascinating. I lived in Ohio for a short while in my early twenties and frequented New York quite often. Getting around (mostly by taxi, as Uber didn't exist eight years ago) was generally quite easy, but no doubt, if I ever moved to New York (or the US for that matter) a car would be an absolute must. Thankfully, Melbourne is quite a vast city (with admittedly excellent public transport), with plenty of road trip options around the state of Victoria - definitely a positive if you're a passionate car enthusiast.
Typically you have to get out of the NYC area to find fun roads to drive. One of the perks of the pandemic is I have been able to open the car up on the local highways. Hopefully, one day I will get out to Australia. I have heard great things about the country and the people.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Typically you have to get out of the NYC area to find fun roads to drive. One of the perks of the pandemic is I have been able to open the car up on the local highways. Hopefully, one day I will get out to Australia. I have heard great things about the country and the people.
Oh absolutely - I hear the Hamptons makes for an excellent road trip? The Macan must be absolutely marvellous on the open road - I bet you can't wait for your new one to arrive. Yeah, Australia is beautiful - I'm a hobbyist landscape photographer and never short of a subject or setting to explore. Strong food, coffee and wine culture too. Haha the plane trip is horrendous, but definitely worth it. For the time being though, patience is definitely required - gotta beat this global pandemic first.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Oh absolutely - I hear the Hamptons makes for an excellent road trip? The Macan must be absolutely marvellous on the open road - I bet you can't wait for your new one to arrive. Yeah, Australia is beautiful - I'm a hobbyist landscape photographer and never short of a subject or setting to explore. Strong food, coffee and wine culture too. Haha the plane trip is horrendous, but definitely worth it. For the time being though, patience is definitely required - gotta beat this global pandemic first.
Well, a trip to the Hamptons usually makes for hours spent in heavy traffic on a straight and flat road, actually, if you're anywhere near a summer weekend; it's all very nice once you're there, though there are other parts of the eastern end of Long Island I'd rather be in than The Hamptons. The North Fork is pretty, and is a very relaxed place. Wineries, lots of nice country lanes for biking, and you're essentially surrounded by water once you're out east. For scenic driving with fun roads (hills/mountains, curves and less traffic) and some nice little towns to stop in, you need to be north of NYC. The kind of place where you might encounter someone like this, like I did when visiting family a few weeks ago, while out for a stroll...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, a trip to the Hamptons usually makes for hours spent in heavy traffic on a straight and flat road, actually, if you're anywhere near a summer weekend; it's all very nice once you're there, though there are other parts of the eastern end of Long Island I'd rather be in than The Hamptons. The North Fork is pretty, and is a very relaxed place. Wineries, lots of nice country lanes for biking, and you're essentially surrounded by water once you're out east. For scenic driving with fun roads (hills/mountains, curves and less traffic) and some nice little towns to stop in, you need to be north of NYC. The kind of place where you might encounter someone like this, like I did when visiting family a few weeks ago, while out for a stroll... View attachment 231832
Ah I see - understood! North Fork sounds absolutely marvellous - certainly my type of vibe. I'll definitely have to check it out next time I visit. Oh wow, that's a spectacular image - what a majestic beast!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Finally got word that my car was "released for transport" from the port where it was at for 3+ weeks. Being trucked from SF area to LA now. Crossing my fingers for Saturday or Monday pickup.
Finally! Did they say what the holdup was? Looking forward to the pics...

·
Registered
2020 Macan S / Volcano Grey / 2-Tone Mojave with Brushed Aluminum / PASM & PTV+ / 20" Spyders
19 Posts
As another data point, I signed the sales agreement and gave my deposit on an ordered Macan S May 12th. It just locked on June 10th with an ETA of September 4th. Roughly 3 months lock-to-delivery seems about average, but the allocation window was definitely delayed. Just snuck under the MY21 changeover and avoided the price increase!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Finally! Did they say what the holdup was? Looking forward to the pics...
They hinted mainly that it was a customs lag. It could really be a combination of that plus transport lag. Not sure I'll ever know. But yes, photos will hopefully be posted within a few days!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
As another data point, I signed the sales agreement and gave my deposit on an ordered Macan S May 12th. It just locked on June 10th with an ETA of September 4th. Roughly 3 months lock-to-delivery seems about average, but the allocation window was definitely delayed. Just snuck under the MY21 changeover and avoided the price increase!
Congrats!

I too ordered my 2020 GTS on May 12th, the build was locked by the time I last talked to my salesman on May 29th, and he told me that it should be arriving at the dealership in Massachusetts on Aug 7th. Makes me think my allocation originally was someone else's who opted out.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S / Volcano Grey / 2-Tone Mojave with Brushed Aluminum / PASM & PTV+ / 20" Spyders
19 Posts
Congrats!

I too ordered my 2020 GTS on May 12th, the build was locked by the time I last talked to my salesman on May 29th, and he told me that it should be arriving at the dealership in Massachusetts on Aug 7th. Makes me think my allocation originally was someone else's who opted out.
Congrats as well! Yeah, I'm not totally certain how the allocation works. My SA said the dealership had 3 Macan S allocations for the that time period, and so they agreed to allocate one to my order. Do the dealers always use up all their allocations? Maybe they would not given the economic conditions?

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS
151 Posts
I’ll add another data point. My GTS went lock Feb 21. Expected production March 27. Obviously missed by a week before shutdown. Was built May 15, left Emden May 26, arrived Halifax June 5, on train today, expected Toronto June 16. Dealer update next week. Should be a$$ planted this month.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Congrats as well! Yeah, I'm not totally certain how the allocation works. My SA said the dealership had 3 Macan S allocations for the that time period, and so they agreed to allocate one to my order. Do the dealers always use up all their allocations? Maybe they would not given the economic conditions?
I have read that dealerships can trade allocations with other dealerships like they do actual vehicles. When I ordered my GTS in early to middle May, my State was still in lock down, and the economy was at it's worse, and we were at the depths of unemployment, so I'm not surprised some customers may have backed out of their deals. I'm surprised though that two other Porsche dealerships in my area at the time (and one in NH) would not budge from MSRP on a 2020 Macan GTS....even in the middle of a pandemic. I'm just happy I was able to find a dealership who wanted to make a deal.

If I do end up taking delivery of my new Macan Aug 7th, the approximate wait of roughly 3 months could have been a lot worse though. In contrast, my wife ordered her 2020 Mercedes Benz GLC43 AMG coupe end of December 2019, and just recently she heard from her dealership she will finally take delivery by end of this month.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have read that dealerships can trade allocations with other dealerships like they do actual vehicles. When I ordered my GTS in early to middle May, my State was still in lock down, and the economy was at it's worse, and we were at the depths of unemployment, so I'm not surprised some customers may have backed out of their deals. I'm surprised though that two other Porsche dealerships in my area at the time (and one in NH) would not budge from MSRP on a 2020 Macan GTS....even in the middle of a pandemic. I'm just happy I was able to find a dealership who wanted to make a deal.

If I do end up taking delivery of my new Macan Aug 7th, the approximate wait of roughly 3 months could have been a lot worse though. In contrast, my wife ordered her 2020 Mercedes Benz GLC43 AMG coupe end of December 2019, and just recently she heard from her dealership she will finally take delivery by end of this month.
I'm curious, how did you find the car buying process in the midst of lockdown? Was it relatively seamless?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm curious, how did you find the car buying process in the midst of lockdown? Was it relatively seamless?
Easiest vehicle purchase I've ever made. In fact my order was done all on my cell phone with one conversation, a couple texts, and an email....all while I was at work.

Reactions: SJG

·
Registered
309 Posts
Easiest vehicle purchase I've ever made. In fact my order was done all on my cell phone with one conversation, a couple texts, and an email....all while I was at work.
Oh how marvellous! And even better that you found a sales associate responsive to your mentality and willingness. Not long now, August is just around the corner!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
well, with the Mediterranean Highway having arrived in Houston last night and Columbia Highway having moored in Davisville this morning, the growth in the number of happy new owners around here should be accelerating soon...

41 - 60 of 98 Posts