Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
If the disks are tungsten carbide coated, what happens when the coating has worn through?
Surely there will be some wear occurring between the brake pads and the rotors? Is that wear
limited exclusively to the pads?

The regular cast (iron?) rotors eventually wear down, is it being claimed that the t-c rotors will
not wear - or that the wear will be minimal for X miles?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I have them on my Turbo, indeed no brake dust and no squeal. I prefer them over ceramics, more subtle and easier to brake comfortably.
the PCCBs are indeed a learning experience to stop comfortably and not have the abrupt forward thrashing stop. It's a learning experience with the PCCBs and their stopping power, for sure. The PCSBs feel more like the spongy regular brakes?

·
Premium Member
Porsche Macan Turbo 2020
47 Posts
the PCCBs are indeed a learning experience to stop comfortably and not have the abrupt forward thrashing stop. It's a learning experience with the PCCBs and their stopping power, for sure. The PCSBs feel more like the spongy regular brakes?
Not really spongy but more progressive, very easy to control.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Part of me hoped yall would say it was grabby and difficult to modulate. Now I’ve got to consider it for the extra safety perspective due to the stronger braking and the aesthetics of white calipers versus red on a sapphire blue GTS!

·
Premium Member
Porsche Macan Turbo 2020
47 Posts
Part of me hoped yall would say it was grabby and difficult to modulate. Now I’ve got to consider it for the extra safety perspective due to the stronger braking and the aesthetics of white calipers versus red on a sapphire blue GTS!
And the shiny discs 🤑

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Too bad the brake calipers for PSCB are white only. That alone stops me from considering the option.

Porsche should offer color choices for brake calipers like other manufacturers do.
I noticed that too. Just made a trip to Lubbock. Son's in the hospital for a few more days (torn chest muscle with arterial bleed doing super sets WITH a trainer). My red calipers are really dirty. I can't imagine the calipers in white. Don't care how 'cleaner' the pad are suppsed to be.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just couldn't do the white calipers on a red GTS as we've ordered this time, despite far preferring the brake feel and not having to clean the dust off RS Spyder wheels.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Does Porsche service offer this as an option when doing a brake job for Macan or for 911?

If so what is the extra cost vs. Porsche standard brake job? Porsche replaces rotors with std. brake job anyway.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Just get the standard iron brakes and put STOP TECH Ceramic Pads on the vehicle, I had iron brakes on my new C7/Z06, after 1500 miles I got tired of the excessive brake dust, put on Ceramic Pads, no dust and it stops the same.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Isn't there a requirement to change more than just the brake pads to have ceramic brakes?

Sounds too simple & too good to be true.

Why isn't every brake shop offering this option?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Isn't there a requirement to change more than just the brake pads to have ceramic brakes?

Sounds too simple & too good to be true.

Why isn't every brake shop offering this option?
Ceramic pads are not "ceramic brakes". Ceramic pads are an option, like metallic and organic pads, that work with standard steel rotors. They've been around a long time and are commonly used.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
So if you merely wish to reduce brake dust, you can replace std. metallic brake pads with ceramic pads on virtuality any car & accomplish this w/o the huge expense of ceramic brakes?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just got the new 2020 Cayenne Turbo with the PCSBs standard on it and just driving a few miles to the ceramic coat shop expecting them to be super grabby but they are very smooth and naturally feeling. I assume they have revised the tuning of them on the Cayennes but Macans could be different.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So if you merely wish to reduce brake dust, you can replace std. metallic brake pads with ceramic pads on virtuality any car & accomplish this w/o the huge expense of ceramic brakes?
Yes. You’ll still get dust but it’ll be greatly reduced. I used Akibono ceramic pads on a Volvo and an Audi and we’re very happy with them.
Of course there are trade offs- somewhat reduced pedal feel being one I noticed.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I wonder if Porsche will use ceramic brake pads upon request or if they will insist on OEM pads if they do the brake job.

BTW, do ceramic pads cost more vs. metallic?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts