Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been reading about the Porsche tungsten carbide brakes that will soon be released on their new cars. I believe it will standard equipment. What is good is less dust and very slightly improved braking performance. Not good is that the brakes require a Porsche exclusive brake pad compound that is compatible with the the tungsten carbide coated rotors. I believe that the rotor tungsten coating will wear out before the pads and then the Porsche owner will be forced to pay the dealer for a complete brake rotor and pad replacement. The compatible pads and tunsten rotors will only be available at your Porsche dealer. $$$

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It's optional. In Canada, this is $4,000 for both the Cayenne base & S model. For that, I would buy extra bottles of Sonax wheel cleaners.

For the Macan facelift, I doubt this would be standard equipment even for the turbo model. If they want $4,000 Cdn for the Cayenne, I would think Porsche will want even more on the Macan

·
Registered
602 Posts
No way will be this be standard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's optional. In Canada, this is $4,000 for both the Cayenne base & S model. For that, I would buy extra bottles of Sonax wheel cleaners.

For the Macan facelift, I doubt this would be standard equipment even for the turbo model. If they want $4,000 Cdn for the Cayenne, I would think Porsche will want even more on the Macan
or double it up to PCCB $8k

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was just reading about this in the latest Christophorus. Apparently it is set to be standard in the Cayenne Turbo and optional in other variants. The article talks about the Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB) as having 30% longer life and 90% less dust than standard iron rotors and has performance levels close to PCCB's at 1/3rd the cost.

Personally, they sound great to me! Less dust, better performance, better life and no fragility of carbon ceramic rotors.

·
Registered
165 Posts
....mind you, if you want to reduce costs it is pretty easy to get a set of pad backing plates and then have a compound of your choice put on. I would go to a store that provides race brakes. If you do this then you can also change the braking characteristics if you want.....eg: less initial bite, etc. Similar with rotors.
The downside is you may be the test bed!

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
For a variety of reasons, I am very skeptical of the claims for the tungsten carbide brakes. It will be interesting to read what the real world performance is, once folks have had them long enough to start posting their personal observations and maintenance experiences on the forums.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
For a variety of reasons, I am very skeptical of the claims for the tungsten carbide brakes. It will be interesting to read what the real world performance is, once folks have had them long enough to start posting their personal observations and maintenance experiences on the forums.
And I'm sure there will be aftermarket copies at greatly reduced prices given demand.
@SoCalS5 BTW, how many miles do you have on yours? Are you nearing a brake job? If you want, I'll set up a gofundme page for you. ;)

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
30,000 miles down so far, and 270,000 miles to go. ;)
Okay, so are you nearing a brake job, or do those delicious yellow calipers containing PCCB last much longer than the brakes the majority of the paupers (me being excluded from that broad brush of course:laugh:) around here have?

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Okay, so are you nearing a brake job, or do those delicious yellow calipers containing PCCB last much longer than the brakes the majority....
The pads will probably need changing at some point around 50k miles, but the rotors should last until 150k - 200k, I would think. Time will tell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Would like to hear more long term experience from Macan owners on PSCB. Plan to opt for it in our next Macan order if it performs and last without dust as mentioned by Porsche's own test.

There is a concern about the cost of using Porches exclusive brake pads. We had our standard iron rotor / pads replaced with Porsche's OEM version, it isn't cheap either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Turbo has PSCB as standard equipment. I'd guess this is the same all over Europe. Don't know about other regions.
I haven't done a proper brake test yet, and as this is something I barely ever do I won't have much reference to tell a difference.

Something else to consider not yet mentioned: The tungsten coated disk will no longer collect surface rust.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
My Turbo has PSCB as standard equipment......
How is the brake dust with the PSCB's? As I recall, one of the touted benefits was a significant reduction in brake dust.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Same in Australia too. I found them to have a much nicer and progressive feel than my current standard brakes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How is the brake dust with the PSCB's? As I recall, one of the touted benefits was a significant reduction in brake dust.
I've only had the car for a week. Had to clean it already as it collected a lot of dust on the rear, didn't notice much (if any) break dust on the wheels. BTW Porsche made the calipers white in order to emphasize the reduction of brake dust, would be pretty stupid if it didn't work.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Too bad the brake calipers for PSCB are white only. That alone stops me from considering the option.

Porsche should offer color choices for brake calipers like other manufacturers do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any updated thoughts on these? Thinking about optioning them on my GTS. Any squeal like what was reported on the cayennes?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have them on my Turbo, indeed no brake dust and no squeal. I prefer them over ceramics, more subtle and easier to brake comfortably.
thanks for the reply. My SA said they were grabby at low speed. I’ve read the Macan had some updates over the originals in the cayenne. Any low speed issues?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts