Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2020 Macan GTS
101 Posts
Borla recently released something similar for the Mach E (and maybe others). The kit comes with a speaker box you install underneath the vehicle and then you can choose the exhaust sound you want (GT500, Z06, etc). The technology is neat in how they came up with the algorithm to match the sound to the throttle position. I think it would be lame to actually do it but smart of Borla for trying to keep relevant in the EV world.

· Banned
192 Posts
Dumb.

If anyone is that vain, then he should record the glorious noise of an exotic flat-plane V8 that he likely will never actually buy. Dub it into four part harmony if desired using all the modern 3D surround sound and computer synth effects. Hey, these days nobody has to be an artist to be a recording artist. Save your internal combustion masterpiece and play it on the Burmester as loud as you think you need it to be.

Just don't destroy everyone else's peace with that crap. There is no need to annoy everyone outside the vehicle.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
1st post #1 is fake news. No fake ICE sound is planned by Ferrari.
2nd Porsche is already doing amplified EV "sounds" with the Taycan so Ferrari is way late to the game.
3rd I thought "controversial" topics are no longer permitted on macanforum.com? I at least am confused by that. Maybe @grim can clarify what exactly that means?

· Administrator
11,972 Posts
1st post #1 is fake news. No fake ICE sound is planned by Ferrari.
How is it fake? According to the Telegraph article, the Ferrari CEO claims its true, at least some kind of unique sound.

3rd I thought "controversial" topics are no longer permitted on macanforum.com? I at least am confused by that. Maybe @grim can clarify what exactly that means?
The standard is political/controversial. Read ANNOUNCEMENT - New Forum A separate forum has been created where all the political/controversial discussion can occur keeping them out of the main subject matter of the forums.

"if you've got some conspiracy theory, go there. ... Want to argue the merits of EVs vs ICE? Go there or somewhere else. Any such discussion in this forum will be removed and action possibly taken on your account."

I'm not seeing anything controversial about EVs emitting sounds. The NHTSA has solicited comments on this subject because silent cars are dangerous.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Extended because of Covid

The underlying thought concerns divisiveness along the political spectrum UNLESS the subject is directly related to the subject matter Porsche Macans. So legislation that would effect these CUVs would be OK. Arguments over ICE vs EVs broadly, take somewhere else. Example of controversies? COVID vaccines, lots of controversy with a political undercurrent, climate change, Ukraine war. You'll know it when you see it.

Not controversial, sounds emitted by EVs for safety reasons.

· Administrator
11,972 Posts
Sports car giant recreates revving engine for electric era to preserve ‘driving pleasure’
Moved to Macan EV forum. This is potentially relevant to a Macan EV.

Maybe, maybe not. Turns out that for the US, THIS is the standard for EVs. And THIS is the proposed deregulation. Cliff notes version is that it appears the car makers, Porsche included in the Auto alliance don't like the standard sound requirements and want user selectable, which would seem to be what Ferrari is talking about. Comments went out in late 2019, Virus got in the way, ruling is pending. The best part are the comments. Although few in number, the consensus seems to be that safety comes over the ability of the user to select the sounds. We are conditioned to know the sound of vehicles coming to or away from us, doppler effect maybe, revving engine. For those dependent upon sound, including first responders, if every car was different, it would be a safety issue.

You all really should read the first comment

1 - 16 of 16 Posts