Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here to Porsche ownership and the website. :)

We have a new 2022 macan with 4000 miles on it. Last week the pressure sensor on the air-conditioning took a crap and left us with no AC in Arizona in June. Not pleasant. Our initial call to a low level scheduler at the local porsche dealer said it would be a 6 week wait for service. Of course I was not happy and went up a level to a service advisor. He luckily got the car in immediately and made me kiss his ring as gratitude. He said usually he would not be able to get cars in for repair for a month or more due to backlog. I've checked the other two Porsche dealers in Arizona and they are about the same. I'm not going to bring it to a non-dealer because it's brand new and under warranty. Is this just part of Porsche ownership?? Just plan ahead for service and don't break down???

Love the Macan other than that...

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
31 Posts
This sounds terrible. Glad you were able to sort it out quickly.

Do you happen to know why the backlog is this long? Is it also due to supply chain?

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
Newbie here to Porsche ownership and the website. :)

We have a new 2022 macan with 4000 miles on it. Last week the pressure sensor on the air-conditioning took a crap and left us with no AC in Arizona in June. Not pleasant. Our initial call to a low level scheduler at the local porsche dealer said it would be a 6 week wait for service. Of course I was not happy and went up a level to a service advisor. He luckily got the car in immediately and made me kiss his ring as gratitude. He said usually he would not be able to get cars in for repair for a month or more due to backlog. I've checked the other two Porsche dealers in Arizona and they are about the same. I'm not going to bring it to a non-dealer because it's brand new and under warranty. Is this just part of Porsche ownership?? Just plan ahead for service and don't break down???

Love the Macan other than that...
If you have an emergency (which you did) just take it there . I never talk to a "gatekeeper" at any job . Find another service advisor too. Above him is the service director . Generally it can take 6 weeks to get a loaner . That part is true . They can still UBER you home .

Service is swamped !!! Due to the fact that Porsche has no new cars people are keeping their older cars. These are challenging times but its inexcusable to be ignored and left to fry in the desert heat .

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
He said usually he would not be able to get cars in for repair for a month or more due to backlog. I've checked the other two Porsche dealers in Arizona and they are about the same. ... Is this just part of Porsche ownership??
Multiple things are going on

First, dealers were used to a tiny number of niche vehicles. The numbers exploded with the Macan, maybe doubling the number they have to service. They need to expand in area and number of employees to handle them. Maybe the dealers haven't been able to accomodate the exploding numbers of cars?

Second, the Pandemic caused people to NOT get their cars serviced just like they didn't got to the doctor for routine screenings. Now, with the pandemic over, people are going to back to dealers and they are backed up.

Third, "the great resignation". See

Some people won't get vax. Some people hate their jobs. Some people would rather collect unemployment, whatever. Don't know how much this effects things but the car business is not the only place this is impacted. I see it all over the place. Nobody wants to work. Try calling someone for service and see if you can even get someone on the phone.

Its probably a combination of all three things. Thats not on Porsche AG, the brand, or PCNA. It could be on the local dealers. It depends upon what the true factors are. I doubt its any one thing.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts

First, dealers were used to a tiny number of niche vehicles. The numbers exploded with the Macan, maybe doubling the number they have to service. They need to expand in area and number of employees to handle them. Maybe the dealers haven't been able to accomodate the exploding numbers of cars?

Second, the Pandemic caused people to NOT get their cars serviced just like they didn't got to the doctor for routine screenings. Now, with the pandemic over, people are going to back to dealers and they are backed up.

Third, "the great resignation". See

Some people won't get vax. Some people hate their jobs. Some people would rather collect unemployment, whatever. Don't know how much this effects things but the car business is not the only place this is impacted. I see it all over the place. Nobody wants to work. Try calling someone for service and see if you can even get someone on the phone.

Its probably a combination of all three things. Thats not on Porsche AG, the brand, or PCNA. It could be on the local dealers. It depends upon what the true factors are. I doubt its any one thing.
With not enough qualified people service is hit, oilfield services are hit, refineries are hit, port overflow from lack of drivers hit, produce rotting due to a lack of pickers hit, hospital staffing hit, fast food stores hit.

Reactions: Softsand and grim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

First, dealers were used to a tiny number of niche vehicles. The numbers exploded with the Macan, maybe doubling the number they have to service. They need to expand in area and number of employees to handle them. Maybe they dealers haven't been able to accomodate the exploding numbers of cars?

Third, "the great resignation"
Makes sense. Macan probably is a game changer for quantity. My Tacoma was just at the Toyo dealer with almost immediate appointment, so great resignation might be hit or miss depending on dealerships. Luckily supply chain wasn't an issue because they had part in stock.

Kudos to my local dealer for getting me in for emergency and giving me a loaner. that was a bonus. But non-emergency work and maintenance seems to be 5-9 weeks out in Phoenix, and I think about 3 weeks out in Tucson (2 hours away). Hopefully there is a catchup period, If not, Arizona needs another dealer.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
[QUOTE="Arizoner, post: 27080

Kudos to my local dealer for getting me in for emergency and giving me a loaner. that was a bonus. But non-emergency work and maintenance seems to be 5-9 weeks out in Phoenix, and I think about 3 weeks out in Tucson (2 hours away). Hopefully there is a catchup period, If not, Arizona needs another dealer.
[/QUOTE]

Sane here in Miami . It used to be better but they sold many loaners because Porsche slowed production numbers . I make appointments long before unless its an emergency.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
@Arizoner , as you point out, there are only 3 authorized P dealers in AZ, so not a lot of options. I'm in Tucson, and my local dealer has always been very responsive to my requests for service, but we have purchased 4 vehicles there in the last 6 years, so that undoubtedly helps. And, full disclosure, we just haven't had urgent problems with any of our Porsche's over the past dozen years or so. On the other hand, when my wife swings by unannounced for a battery replacement in her key fob, or to complain about chattering wiper blades, they jump on it! ( I do th same at home, of course 🤣 )
I'm a bit surprised that the part was in stock when the Service Advisor got you in quickly, to their credit.
So, long story short, I haven't found such 'put-offs' to be typical of Porsche ownership, but I do thank them generously when they do me a favor with service scheduling, etc., and give them a nice review on their website or Google.

Reactions: yrralis1 and grim

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
All three things I mentioned are very real.

In terms of dealerships. I'm blessed with maybe 8 or so dealers within driving distance. More than 15 years ago one was nothing but a tiny bit of room within an Audi Dealer. The showroom expanded into its own building and now moving to a third building. They need to grow, hire and educate mechanics. Its real. They all do. Some dealers get bought out and put under the umbrella of a company owning many dealerships.

The pandemic has messed up many things. People didn't got to health screenings. They missed minor surgeries. They didn't take care of themselves. They were so scared that thinking about "things" like cars didn't matter at all. Let them go without maintenance. Now they are catching up on this.

But the "great resignation" is a real thing. Look up the lack of construction workers. @///Bruce has a point. Its not just office workers who don't want to go back to the office but neither do manual labor. Why bother if they government pays you to stay home? Why bother when you can change fields and sit in cozy AC in PJs all day? Or, maybe they really don't like what they are doing so they change career fields. Now I don't know AZ labor issues but this seems pervasive. I can't get customer service people to talk on the phone without waiting and waiting and waiting. Its a problem

·
Registered
323 Posts
Porsche Certified body shops are also affected, mostly due to backlog of parts of all makes. We waited almost three months to get ours in, and they just called and said they need to order a few supplemental parts, so might be another few weeks of delay. Sh.t sandwich all the way around.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
All three things I mentioned are very real.

In terms of dealerships. I'm blessed with maybe 8 or so dealers within driving distance. More than 15 years ago one was nothing but a tiny bit of room within an Audi Dealer. The showroom expanded into its own building and now moving to a third building. They need to grow, hire and educate mechanics. Its real. They all do. Some dealers get bought out and put under the umbrella of a company owning many dealerships.

The pandemic has messed up many things. People didn't got to health screenings. They missed minor surgeries. They didn't take care of themselves. They were so scared that thinking about "things" like cars didn't matter at all. Let them go without maintenance. Now they are catching up on this.

But the "great resignation" is a real thing. Look up the lack of construction workers. @///Bruce has a point. Its not just office workers who don't want to go back to the office but neither do manual labor. Why bother if they government pays you to stay home? Why bother when you can change fields and sit in cozy AC in PJs all day? Or, maybe they really don't like what they are doing so they change career fields. Now I don't know AZ labor issues but this seems pervasive. I can't get customer service people to talk on the phone without waiting and waiting and waiting. Its a problem
It’s all off topic though. Outside of the fact that they made gazillions of Macan’s the reasons of the pandemic are not why he was ignored before addressed .

Granted the large supply of previous years of Macan’s in the shortage of current makes a service drive busier but still no excuse to be put off. I think the service advisor realized it and then corrected it. I’m glad he got into service

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
459 Posts
The Lehi, Utah Porsche dealer hasn’t been around for more more then maybe 7 years and they had a decent part of the dealership shared with Audi. They already have a specific Porsche spec building going in to have their own dealership once it is complete. I wish I could remember what my SA called the building cause it was very corporate Porsche lingo. The current dealership is literally overflowing but that’s why they have the new building coming.

·
Registered
2021 992C4S, 2020 Macan S, 2008 Touareg V8
523 Posts
Another reason to do the job yourself. I'm 350+ miles from the only dealer so not an issue for me.

YMMV

siberian

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here in Las Vegas, our only Porsche dealer is like this big time. I have had multiple brake issues with my car and the service here is horrible. It's so bad that next year I more than likely will dump my Macan when I lose the 4 year factory warranty. Love my car but service sucks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
it is 100% a dealer capacity issue. If all the bays are occupied with techs then they cant add a tech. they need to add service bays. You could create two shifts to extend days from 8 hour days to 16 hour days. Then you need twice as many techs and twice as many parts and service advisors. Not so easy. If every tech is booked for the available time every day then there is no way to accommodate an 'extra" appointment even if you wanted to. Nobody wants to say no but it would be even more infuriating if they told you to come and then could never actually get to it. Some things are easy to accommodate. Routine maintenance should be booked well in advance and the servicing dealer must not take extra maintenance appointments. Your number one diagnostic/repair tech should never do a single oil change. Glad they got you in got it repaired. I wouldn't want to be in Arizona in the summer without AC.

·
Registered
Macan T 2023 PPGE1DZ4 on order
41 Posts
One of the reasons I recently decided to look at buying a Porsche Macan was I had been experiencing the very same situation with Merc in Australia. Even if I (still) drive a premium and expensive AMG, I have had lots of difficulty getting any attention from service and sales alike; shocking in fact. And I’d not refer only to the last two years of pandemic and supply chain mismanagement – I have been seeing this lack of attention and over-saturation of Australian market with Merc cars, and service infrastructure lagging, for a longer time, at least 4-5 years now. I think the Merc brand is heavily diluted here now already, and not as special as it used to be. When I visited my local Porsche dealer (owned by Porsche AG) in Sydney to evaluate a few Macans to buy, the SA told me of the trend he had been seeing: lots of Merc drivers in Sydney, switching to Porsche. The situation in Sydney may not be as bad yet, but what I hear from you all in USA, it may be coming here too … Anyway — any Australian owners of Porsche out there to comment on what’s going on locally here in Sydney, what is your perspective and experience?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Australian owners of Porsche out there to comment on what’s going on locally here in Sydney, what is your perspective and experience?
The Sydney dealers are definitely under the pump and with massive new car sales numbers it will only add to the pressure
My SA told me they sold their usual annual allocation in the first 3 months of the year

1 - 20 of 28 Posts