Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a mailing from Porsche that included a couple of catalogs and a nice Macan pen. Also included was a card that described a wireless signal booster that I MUST register with the carrier, etc., etc. It says it is for vehicles equipped with Connect (which I have) or Connect Plus. The serial number of the device is my VIN, so it's not some general information card. My SA does not know what this is. Seems to be a mystery.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this for USA customers only or people in Canada also received these items? I didn’t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a bit of extra research. I believe the Phone Box refers to a device that transmits the cellular signal to the car's exterior antenna via NFC (new field communication). Because it works by NFC, the phone needs to be near the compenser device, specifically the phone slot in the center console. Not sure if it works via Bluetooth-only or wired-only or either. I do sometimes notice an extra bar or two when my phone is connected via USB (using CarPlay) but if there is a signal boost it's spotty and minimal. Surprised that the dealers don't seem to know about this.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
This is a great feature for those who wish to have exceptional reception in their car and are tired of rapid battery discharge while trying to maintain the wireless signal. It is nothing more than a wireless signal amplifier. Your phone will see 4 bars instead of three or two and will not keep searching for a better signal. It also allows the phone to be snugly out of the way. If you use a headset this is a very convenient alternative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pen, ID card, letter, soft cover book, hard bound book, Phone Box instructions; all in cardboard box - No Device. ?????????????

Ken L - What phone slot in center console?

My thermal glass needs all the extra signal penetration available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, whatever hardware that comprises the phone box is already installed somewhere in the vehicle. I have a MY18 Macan and there is slot on the driver's side of the center console. It's made of soft material and really just keeps your phone upright and stationary. As I mentioned in my previous post I think that the device functions through the car's exterior antenna but I'm not sure about this.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
slot? Is it inside the center console or exterior? Need to know if one can upgrade 2017 S to this irrespective of whether it has the electronics or not...I really have no place to put my phone other than the cup holders which also are used (surprisingly) to actually hold cups.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've attached photos of the slot with and without phone. The phone is an iPhone 8 and it barely fits; an iPhone 8+ would not fit. I have a MY18 Macan; not sure if the slot was included in previous year models.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 2017 model and the center console area looks different. There's no padded area on the left. I have attached a photo. Unfortunately I can't include my phone in the photo since I used the phone to actually take the picture. :) I was too lazy to figure out a different way to do that.

What would really be nice is if that thick armrest opened up to allow storage of small object, e.g. pens. My armrest on my BMW X5 does that. This Porsche one is too thick to not open, maybe I just haven't found where to press???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I received a mailing from Porsche that included a couple of catalogs and a nice Macan pen. Also included was a card that described a wireless signal booster that I MUST register with the carrier, etc., etc. It says it is for vehicles equipped with Connect (which I have) or Connect Plus. The serial number of the device is my VIN, so it's not some general information card. My SA does not know what this is. Seems to be a mystery.
Please post a scan/picture of the card describing the wireless signal booster that you must register with the carrier.

As far as I can see, the "slot" in your photos is a passive cell phone holder which takes up some of the console compartment to provide a clip which is too small for most phones. It's a $20 trim part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Attached is the card from Porsche that describes the phone box with the Serial Number (which is my VIN) erased. It looks like the phone slot and signal booster (compenser) are new in the MY18 vehicles; there is a description of each in my owner's manual under 'Stowing a mobile phone' on page 172. In the online MY17 owner's manual the same description appears but in a footnote it states that the slot/compenser are not available in North American vehicles.

As for fitting the phone into the slot, an iPhone 8 (but not 8+) will fit. If there is a wired connection to the USB port you will need to use an elbow lightning connector (see Baseus cables, for example, on Amazon) so the wire comes out in a right angle to the phone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '18 S console inside exactly as PGremlin's '17. Card as Luehrsen's. Page 173, '18 Manual, first line "Depending on the equipment, a special smartphone tray is installed ........." I don't have Connect or Connect +, even though I got the card.

I've pressed everywhere on the (unutilized) lid. Drilling is next; something WILL go in there.
Amazon/ebay have variety of small mesh pockets, w/sticky backs, that could be stuck on side of tunnel for phone.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Since from that information it requires proximity, like a wireless charger, it must be what takes up the space in your console storage, behind the phone slot. I have a 2017 Macan, delivered in January, and it does not have this device. I can't find anyone showing 2018 parts disgrams yet. I wonder if it can be retrofitted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the device works via NFC, then the compenser device is likely directly behind the phone slot. NFC works over a distance within about four inches. In the owner's manual, it states that when inserting the iPhone in the slot, the phone screen should be facing the passenger seat. This would bring the iPhone NFC antenna, which is on the top end, back of the phone, into close proximity with the compenser.

It sure would be nice if the manual was more precise about what the device is, where it is, how it functions and how best to use it!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts