Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mercedes GLA is the little brother to the GLK.

The GLK is likely smaller than the Cayenne.

But I do wonder how the GLA compares to the Macan in terms of sizing and even pricing and features.

·
Registered
247 Posts
no i dont think they will compete, the GLA is a tiny little bugger, it lines up with Buicks Encore or the VW Taigun...

To give a better example the CLA (which GLA shares its platform and wheelbase with) is exactly the same size as a toyota Corolla, actually the Corolla is wider... So the GLA will be like a big Corolla ;) Macan will go up against GLK

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think people will be cross-shopping the two. I know I will and will be looking forward to an affordable entry-level Porsche CUV.

·
Registered
48 Posts
GLA is based on an Merc A-Class (cheapest Merc)... so as the features, interior quality, comfort.. it is in different class.

The A-Class is not the best in terms of ride quality and handling.. A45 AMG is somewhat better.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm not in a rush... but I'm contemplating between the two since I like them both. I previously owned both Porsches and AMGs so I am familiar with quality, power, and positives/negatives in both marques.

It'll be between the GLA45 or the Macan S for me... and I'm well aware it's comparing a 4-cyl vs. a 6-cyl but the bottom line is both turbocharged powerplants have more than enough power & brute.

The Macan Turbo is really the beast but IMO it's not worth to spend 73K plus for one. Anyway, either models mildly equipped & priced in the mid-50s will be fine with me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have to admit that although the GLA45AMG is Macan Turbo-quick at a Macan S price, I have no interest in it at all. By all accounts, the Macan combines great handling with a great ride/refinement, in particular with AS. For the CLA/GLA Automobile says "we suspect the latest baby Benz will suffer the same ride harshness that afflicts the CLA. The GLA45 AMG, which already is tuned more firmly than the standard car, offers an even-stiffer optional performance suspension that is probably best reserved for those whose commute is pothole-free.", which matches all the reviews of the CLA45. A few decades ago I might not have cared, but now I'm looking for a complete package, not something that achieves the impression of great handling by riding like a bag of bricks.

Edit: I also like the looks of the Macan much better...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
no i dont think they will compete, the GLA is a tiny little bugger, it lines up with Buicks Encore or the VW Taigun...

To give a better example the CLA (which GLA shares its platform and wheelbase with) is exactly the same size as a toyota Corolla, actually the Corolla is wider... So the GLA will be like a big Corolla ;) Macan will go up against GLK
It is, I believe it was at the Toronto auto show which I attended. The GLA is a snazzy looking car though (in person) but is smaller than the Macan and doesn't have the same aggressive stance up close IMHO. Nonethless, the badge and $ will appeal to a broad range of people, for us consumers the choice of SUV's in the next few years will be immense ... but I have always wanted a Porsche and my wife said it had to carry the kids comfortably and be within a certain budget (so my Cayman aspirations went up in smoke for now) and the Macan works on that front. But each to their own.

·
Premium Member
2018 Panamera Turbo S e-hybrid
1,424 Posts
That nav screen looks like it was bought at RadioShack and gorilla glued to the dash. Horrible. Can't believe Merc went that direction with this ans the CLA. Totally ruined an otherwise decent interior.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok, I will admit, I have cross-shopped these two vehicles.

First of all, those that are bashing the NAV….I agree, it does look awkward, to say the least. But it can kind of grow on you once you start using it. My 16 yr old daughter just got a '14 Mazda 3, and the NAV is placed in a very similar fashion as the GLA/CLA. It's nice how you can keep your head more on the road with the NAV higher on the dash. But yes, it's not for looks.

Performance wise, the GLA AMG is an animal, especially out of a 4-banger. However, for me it comes down a few simple things.

1) I have always wanted a Porsche. Had plenty of MB, and well, they were good….just not great. I'm ready to give Porsche a go.
2) The size…..I want a compact SUV. Since most of us (or all of us) have not seen the GLA in the flesh, have you looked at the measurements of this vehicle? Forgive me, but I'm a 'numbers' guy, so think of this:
Macan is 10" longer, 5" wider, and 5" taller. Those are considerable differences.

Bottom line, if you want something to reference the size of the GLA, take a look at the Subaru Crosstrek. It's basically the same size, and for me, just too small.

All of this to bring me to point 3) The Macan looks a ton better. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
And one more thing. Want to know a ball park price for the GLA 45 AMG? Go build a CLA 45 AMG to your liking, then add about 2 grand to it. My build came in at only $8k less than my Macan S build. Once again, I'll take the Porsche.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That nav screen looks like it was bought at RadioShack and gorilla glued to the dash. Horrible. Can't believe Merc went that direction with this ans the CLA. Totally ruined an otherwise decent interior.
My niece looked at that nav screen and said it is going to be a target for break-ins and broken windows. Plus, she thought it was out of place in a Benz - it should be integrated.:eek:

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
There's the tacky hardware, and then there's the uninspired/cheap infotainment format...

Its like going to a website that still says "best viewed at 1024x768"... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
972 Posts
or "Best viewed with Netscape Navigator" :)

the Macan is a bigger car than the GLA so it was easier to justify the upgrade; GLA didn't offer much more usable boot space over my Golf. If the GLA were a touch bigger though it would have got my money - imo it looks much better than the Macan.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ok, I will admit, I have cross-shopped these two vehicles.
As have I. Just was on a tighter deadline, and when I found that the CLA has runflats, I assumed the same for the GLA and truncated to the Macan.

First of all, those that are bashing the NAV….I agree, it does look awkward, to say the least.
My hopes have been that it isn't as bad as it's initial (negative) impression.

2) The size…..I want a compact SUV. Since most of us (or all of us) have not seen the GLA in the flesh, have you looked at the measurements of this vehicle? Forgive me, but I'm a 'numbers' guy, so think of this:
Macan is 10" longer, 5" wider, and 5" taller. Those are considerable differences.
Yes, but for some of us, the Macan is still bigger than I really wanted...max 180" long and 60" height was literally my objectives...and narrower would also have been welcome, as I've already measured and know that the Macan is going to be risky with my 8ft garage door (actually 7-10) width to not bust a mirror. Did this once with my MB and it was a quick $500 bill.

All of this to bring me to point 3) The Caman looks a ton better. But that's just my opinion.
YMMV. Personally, I very much dislike the Macan's grill's black treatment (the "Excel Spreadsheet" slat pattern), especially how poorly it was done around the front center "lane sensor" camera assembly - it looks like an incomplete prototype instead of a finished product.

-hh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.