Porsche Macan Forum banner

Porsche Macan vs Land Rover Evoque

42K views 134 replies 66 participants last post by  ABusLux 
#1 ·
The Evoque came first and it's not secret that every company was inspired by their success.

But now that the Macan is close to coming out. How do you think it compares to the father of the small SUV, the Land Rover Evoque? Do you think Porsche has what it takes to take the crown?

Evoque

Macan

See less See more
#2 ·
The Evoque is a nicer car and I do really like its exterior styling. It's very unique compared to other small SUVs out there. But I think once the Macan gets out, it will blow the other cars in its segment out of the water. It's German Porsche quality in an SUV. And it's very affordable too. People will buy the Macan in droves.

#3 ·
Range Rover Evoque RS vs Porsche Macan?

A report released saying Range Rover is developing a faster, more powerful version of it's current Evoque, the Evoque RS, which is expected to produce 300BHP. This would be a great rival to the Macan S or which ever Macan model would come close to the Evoque RS on paper.

Information on both vehicles is VERY limited at the moment since both car makers are being very tight-lipped about everything. Expect to see more information about the two posted here in the not too distant future.

#5 ·
I agree.

I'm a big Porsche fan and think they should have went for a redesign on the Macan but there's nothing wrong with sticking with a timeless design.
RR on the other hand keeps pushing the bar, the Evoque and the design language debuted on it is just amazing.

#12 ·
had a good look at the evoque before committing to the macan - the boot is a joke. one of my friends has it (just had his first child) and he said his old small hatchback had more space.

a bit too aggressive for me personally; the macan is a bit of a sleeper and i like it that way :) (but it still looks good if you do decide to stare at it)

#14 ·
and the performance just isn't there
Doesnt it have a ford sourced 4 cylinder?
I definitely wanted more than 4 cylinders for my upgrade; over here the evoque comes with either a 2.0 4cyl petrol or 2.2 4cyl diesel :(

#18 ·
After sitting in the Cayenne for a while I went straight to the Audi dealership and sat in a Q5. The Cayenne didn't have a full leather interior but it was still worlds better than the hard plasticky clicky tinny interior of the Audi. Everything in the Q5 felt like it was screwed together well enough, but each part also felt like it was built to a price

#20 ·
If the Range Rover Evoque RS does get announced prior to the launch of the Macan then I think I will have a dilema. I currently own an Evoque and love it , just want some more power. IMO the Evoque still looks awesome but the Macan is fresh and has some awesome heritage behind it. Would not know what to do...

#21 ·
Being an owner of an Evoque, i can tell you that it is a great SUV. The Macan won't match it got Off Road capability and in style and looks I think still has the edge over the Macan. It's boot is small but it's only me and my wife ever in it so has never been an issue. Yes the engine is sourced from Ford (Ecoboost 2.0) and it's more than acceptable for most, but the reason I'm looking at a Macan is that I would like more power and acceleration.
I am though surprised how keen I am getting on the Macan as I do love the Evoque. I think Porsche have nailed it in terms of price, power, equipment and looks. It looks to be the complete package and may just be enough to change camps.

#23 ·
All still rumour. One was spotted on 'The Ring'. Autoblog and Carscoop stating 300hp or 224kW from a hot 4cylinder. Will need more to compare with Macan @ 250kw for the 'S'... Guessing it will. Land Rover working on their own Hotfire engines which will have more power. No idea on timing.

#25 ·
It does when Porsche start selling SUV's. Range Rover have been the King of High powered 4WD's and now others like Porsche and BMW are challenging.
Range Rover will need a Performance version of the Evoque to compete with Macan though (RS). Being an Evoque owner I can say they are not in Macan league with the a current Evoque but they are not priced there either.

#27 ·
Hmmm, I wouldnt call RR's the king of anything but immmediate 50% depreciation. Bmw X5M, Cayenne Turbo, AMG ML63, and even the SRT Jeep have been kicking the crap out of the top spec RR in terms of performance for almost a decade now. They are slow.

#26 ·
If I hadn't had enough of 4-cylinder engines, I would be considering the Merc GLA AMG. Nicest interiors atm with Porsche a close second.

I can't imagine the Evoque RS being anywhere near as good to drive as the Macan S. Power needs a good chassis :)

#38 ·
#41 ·
Auto Express - Macan vs Evoque

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque

We drive all-new Porsche Macan compact SUV and put it head-to-head with rival Range Rover Evoque (some of the text is repeated from earlier reviews)

Porsche Macan vs Range Rover Evoque | Auto Express

Verdict
5/5

The Porsche Macan is now the driver’s choice in this class, yet it doesn’t come at the expense of comfort, luxury or refinement. If style is your priority, the Range Rover Evoque still leads the way, but the Porsche has a truly broad range of talents. It’s easy to see why the brand expects this car to be a future best seller. As with the Cayenne and the Panamera, Porsche has taken a car that shouldn’t work as a sports car and turned it into something genuinely fun and hugely capable.

The Porsche Macan knows what it has to beat. The Range Rover Evoque has the right badge, striking concept car looks and is genuinely sporty to drive, so it’s no surprise that Land Rover has been building them flat-out since the launch in 2011. But the Evoque’s position was always going to come under threat – and the moment of truth has arrived.

Yes, the Macan is based on an Audi Q5, but Porsche’s engineers have sprinkled their magic on the chassis and say it’s the first compact SUV that’s also a sports car. It’s a bold claim, and one the Diesel S we’re testing (expected to be the big seller in the UK) should be least equipped to showcase. So how does it compare to the class-leading Evoque?

The Macan’s driving position has all the hallmarks of a sports car. There’s a slight step up into the cabin, before you take your seat cocooned within the interior. You get a great view of the road ahead, but it’s clear Porsche has worked hard on recreating the low-slung feel of a 911.

There’s plenty of adjustment in the seats and the 918-inspired steering wheel, so you can get your driving position spot-on before taking off. We’d still say the Evoque’s interior looks more appealing, but the Macan’s chunky switchgear has a more solid feel.

The Porsche has the measure of the Evoque in terms of firepower, although it’s important to note that the 187bhp 2.2-litre engine in our Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe (currently the most powerful diesel in the range) is two cylinders down on the Macan’s 254bhp 3.0-litre V6 diesel. Then again, the Range Rover does cost £1,795 less.

Fire up the Porsche and you’ll find it quickly settles down to an audible, but refined idle. Squeeze the throttle and it doesn’t have the immediacy of either of the petrol engines in the range, yet it manages to sound sporty, has a creamy and linear power delivery and there’s masses of punch in the middle of the rev range. By comparison, the Evoque’s four-cylinder sounds slightly strained and can’t deliver anywhere near the same thrust. In other words, the Range Rover moves along well enough, but the Macan is on a different level.

The PDK box shuffles its seven gears seamlessly, while pressing the Sport Plus button means each full-throttle upshift slams home with an aggressive thump. The Evoque’s new nine-speed auto is a bit smoother at low speeds, although it doesn’t have the same urgency when you want to push on.

Porsche Macan 2014

SUVs should be all at sea on a track, but thanks to its four-wheel drive, the Macan has plenty of traction for launching out of bends. There’s a rear bias to the system, too, so the tail will slide if you’re too heavy on the accelerator. For the ultimate in handling, though, you’ll want to specify the PTV torque vectoring system and PASM active suspension – these come as standard on the flagship Turbo.

Despite having more body roll, the Evoque’s steering is marginally sharper when you first turn into a corner, but from then on the feel evaporates and it’s harder to place it precisely on the road. Although you’ll need a bit more lock, the Porsche stays far flatter and offers more feedback through the wheel.

It’s a similar story when it comes to ride quality. There’s no getting away from the fact that the Macan feels firm, but the damping is so good it tackles bumpy roads with less fuss than the Evoque. And that’s a recurring theme, on the road at least – the Porsche feels like a more sophisticated piece of engineering, while the Brit tries harder to be sporty but with less success.

Still, the Evoque retains the edge off-road. We tackled 80 per cent inclines, muddy bogs and steep, slippery descents easily in the Porsche, so it’s more than capable, but a way off Range Rover territory.

If mud-plugging is high on your agenda, Porsche offers air-suspension which lets you raise the suspension by 40mm, improving the approach angle from 17 to 19 degrees in the process.

As well as track car and off-roader, the Macan works as a long-distance family car. Its 500-litre boot – accessed by an electronic tailgate as standard – provides plenty of room for large suitcases, while the rear seats are good enough for tall adults, despite the sweeping roofline. The Evoque has 50 litres more room to play with, and a flatter loading lip, but our Coupé sacrifices rear access for extra style.

While the Range Rover looks better inside and out, to our eyes at least, the Macan feels like a higher-quality piece of kit. Porsche has managed to transfer its sports car DNA to the compact SUV class without compromising its everyday ability. This basic Diesel S model will be a popular choice in the UK just because it makes so much sense as a daily driver – but it can handle itself on the track and with light off-roading, too.

Porsche Macan S

Porsche’s S models are often the best all-rounders, with just enough performance at just the right price. Thanks to a 355bhp 3.0-litre twin-turbo V6, the Macan S is only six-tenths slower than the Turbo from 0-62mph, which is a good start.

It does without the PASM active suspension as standard, but add it as an option and the car stays flat and level in sharp bends. We were surprised just how comfortable the Macan is – Porsches are generally on the firm side, but the Macan soaks up bumpy roads well. Air-suspension – an option on all cars – adds a final layer of smoothness. It’s incredibly refined, too, with wind noise only really noticeable above 70mph.

The best thing about the Macan S, though, has to be its price. Yes, it’s expensive compared to many cars this size, but nothing else offers such fine pace and handling for £43,300. We’d buy this S instead of the Turbo and spend the £16k we’d saved on extras.

If you can stomach the running costs, the S is the petrol Macan to go for. It doesn’t have the sensible appeal of the Diesel S, but it offers pretty much all the pace of the Turbo for a much lower price. We’d say save the cash and invest in the air-suspension for a really capable and luxurious compact SUV.

Porsche Macan Turbo

Porsche Macan Turbo 2014 brown pan
The Porsche Macan Turbo is by far the maddest compact SUV on the road, with its 3.6-litre twin-turbo V6 putting out 394bhp to match a 911 from 0-62mph.

We drove the Turbo on a track and on the road, and it felt at home on both. Out on track, with or without the optional air-suspension, there’s next to no body roll as you turn into a fast corner with the steering telling you just what the chassis is doing. In the wet, it’ll slide into a bend on the brakes and kick the back out if you’re too hard on the throttle on the way out.

On the road, there’s great traction and smooth acceleration up to the red line. But it doesn’t feel frantically fast, and lighter steering and more supple suspension make the Macan more relaxed than Porsche’s sports cars.

The ride is firm, on air or steel springs, yet you won’t dread long journeys as the cabin is well built and luxurious. It’s also clearly laid out and really quiet, even at motorway speeds.

If you have to have the ultimate, the Turbo is the car for you. But do you really need it? A Macan S with the Sport Chrono pack and PASM active suspension will feel almost identical from behind the wheel. You sacrifice a bit of pace but you save a lot, and still get the best-handling compact SUV around.

#42 ·
Very nice review, thanks @gobobbie for sharing

Whether you have an S on order or not this last sentence is very exciting.

A Macan S with the Sport Chrono pack and PASM active suspension will feel almost identical from behind the wheel. You sacrifice a bit of pace but you save a lot, and still get the best-handling compact SUV around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.