Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen this post before but was wondering if other people who experience this have had any luck with Porsche resolving this issue. In my 2018 Macan S I have PSE and SC that was added after delivery. In normal driving mode all seems well. The problem is I never drive in normal mode. 99.9% of the time I drive in Sport mode. I drive around town mostly and being in top gear is meaningless. My Macan always stumbles just as you pass from about 1800 RPM on a slow but steady acceleration. This occurs in all the gears from first on up until you cruising above 2000 RPM. I don't want to waste my time bringing my car back to the dealer only to be told the vehicle is fine. I've heard this is a glitch, possibly do in part, with the variable cam timing. Back in time, many years ago, when I was a motor head, I would associate this with an ignition miss. Can anyone enlighten me on their experience with this phenomena?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sport Mode 1800rpm stumble cause revealed.

Ok,
So I have a 2018 Porsche Macan S purchased on 9/28 (classic). From day 1 I've experienced an unusual stumble just before the car shifts into the next gear. I associated this to be a "glitch' of sorts, a software issue associated with throttle body position and rpm value. The miss, stumble, momentary hesitation, would only occur while driving with a "light foot" feathering the throttle at precisely 1800rpm. It would occur in normal mode, but not so noticeable, as the car would up shift prior to the 1800rpm. Most noticeable in Sport and Sport Plus mode as the car would hold the gear longer. So took a trip to the Porsche dealer today to inquire if they were aware of any such complaints, knowing they would test drive the car, and most likely do their best to defeat the issue. How wrong of an assumption on my part. The service manager immediately stated "its the transfer case", and scheduled an appointment for replacement. I was blown away. Bravo South Shore Porsche! I now joint the ranks of the numerous who had transfer case replacement. PS. my Macan S has 2600 miles on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sport Mode 1800rpm stumble cause revealed.

Ok,
So I have a 2018 Porsche Macan S purchased on 9/28 (classic). From day 1 I've experienced an unusual stumble just before the car shifts into the next gear. I associated this to be a "glitch' of sorts, a software issue associated with throttle body position and rpm value. The miss, stumble, momentary hesitation, would only occur while driving with a "light foot" feathering the throttle at precisely 1800rpm. It would occur in normal mode, but not so noticeable, as the car would up shift prior to the 1800rpm. Most noticeable in Sport and Sport Plus mode as the car would hold the gear longer. So took a trip to the Porsche dealer today to inquire if they were aware of any such complaints, knowing they would test drive the car, and most likely do their best to defeat the issue. How wrong of an assumption on my part. The service manager immediately stated "its the transfer case", and scheduled an appointment for replacement. I was blown away. Bravo South Shore Porsche! I now joint the ranks of the numerous who had transfer case replacement. PS. my Macan S has 2600 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Ok,
It's beyond comprehension that there can be so many transfer case issues over so many model years. I would assume this rules out a bad batch / supplier - and it's a design issue.

Has anyone had a second transfer case replacement on the same car?

·
Registered
525 Posts
You sure they’re not inventing a problem just to be able to charge Porsche for warranty work? What you describe definitely sounds like a fueling issue ... from what I’ve read here, doesn’t a Transfer case issue come with a distinct bad mechanical noise or vibration?

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's excellent! It's good to hear good stories like this about dealership service departments. I'm taking in my Macan S to dealer tomorrow for a couple of issues and I am already worried that they would try to convince me they are normal. Hopefully they will be as good as South Shore Porsche and will fix them.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You sure they’re not inventing a problem just to be able to charge Porsche for warranty work? What you describe definitely sounds like a fueling issue ... from what I’ve read here, doesn’t a Transfer case issue come with a distinct bad mechanical noise or vibration?
I would agree that a certain percentage of "transfer case" issues are probably related to drumming up more warranty business. However, there is no doubt that the transfer cases are a significant problem area for Macans.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Same behavior of hesitation, gear slippage, and jolting but will try this new @topgear technique today. Ours was determined by the dealer tech during drive along as "problem with transfer of power", then a week of data collection with determination by Atlanta engineering as "wheel speed sensor communication issues with ECU" but when the sensors were replaced it did not fix the issue, then regional tech said "fuel injectors are misfiring" with some data to prove it, so waiting now for 2 weeks on fuel injectors from Germany to try them out. Almost 3 years dealer denying anything wrong so only now they are trying to resolve it using these trial/error runs with us not having the Macan for weeks at a time so I consider anyone getting quick transfer case determination as lucky. SA admitted they have replaced several transfer cases before but regional tech was adamant that there is nothing "mechanically wrong".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I will certainly post my findings once the car has been serviced by the dealer. I have a scheduled appointment for this Thursday. I will be more than curious to see what exactly was done and the result of that repair. You can bet I will know within 30 seconds if the issue was corrected and will report my findings as to what was done... To be continued

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I will certainly post my findings once the car has been serviced by the dealer. I have a scheduled appointment for this Thursday. I will be more than curious to see what exactly was done and the result of that repair. You can bet I will know within 30 seconds if the issue was corrected and will report my findings as to what was done... To be continued
Best wishes for a positive dealer visit. Looking forward to your update.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Threads like this make me nervous...

:eek:

If I ever have any issues with my Macan, dealer service will dictate if I ever buy a Porsche again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok,
i'm experiencing a similar issue when in 'S' and 'M' manual mode. there is a slight hesitation or surge but not associated with a shift as it is in 'M' mode. but otherwise as you describe. TC issue makes sense as it does not appear to an issue with the gearbox. heading out of town tomorrow, but guess i will be visiting the dealer when i return home. i have about 2500 miles on the car currently.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, old thread, but did you manage to solve this issue?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Mine is still there... but I haven’t had Porsche address it either. It’s not worth losing my car for weeks while they ATTEMPT to figure what’s causing it and tear things apart.... all the while, perhaps not solving it. I just didn’t feel it was worth it.

Now then, I may in fact, get a custom tune done to see if that rectifies it. I figure, at the very least, I get a smoother running Cobb Tuned GTS.... on the better side, if it works, I get a better tuned GTS AND the stumble is gone.

Not sure I want to do it yet tho... still thinking. I just live with it for the time being; and If I don’t want to experience it, I just punch the go pedal harder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, A okay. My OPC said that this is a common issue because there is a statement from Porsche Germany; "At the Macan GTS is a software bug present. There is no written software available between 1700 and 2100 rpm under light throttle. There is no solution available". Thats it what they told me. Some days I can live with it and push the car more, but other days it annoys me very much.

·
Registered
796 Posts
That is unacceptable.... at least to me
No excuse for performance like that

Glad I have an 'S'... not a 'GTS'....deal breaker for me
Like having the check engine warning lit up all the time

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, old thread, but did you manage to solve this issue?
From topgear's 5/17/2018 post: "So took a trip to the Porsche dealer today to inquire if they were aware of any such complaints, knowing they would test drive the car, and most likely do their best to defeat the issue. How wrong of an assumption on my part. The service manager immediately stated "its the transfer case", and scheduled an appointment for replacement. I was blown away. Bravo South Shore Porsche! I now joint the ranks of the numerous who had transfer case replacement. PS. my Macan S has 2600 miles on it."

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, They already replaced my TC and checked coils, plugs, etc , but still te same problem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts