Porsche Macan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recent spy photos of the Porsche Macan reveal that the German automaker is nearing completion with its newest SUV model that shares a platform with the Audi Q5.

Recently, Porsche’s R&D chief Wolfgang Hatz went on the record saying that the Macan is “not a Q5 with a Porsche hat on,” and that the SUV will be significantly different than the platform its based on. The German automaker has overhauled everything on the vehicle including its engines, transmissions, and suspension and went so far as to say that “Audi can’t believe what we’ve done.”

Hatz also confirmed that the Macan will be the first modern-day Porsche to feature a four-cylinder powerplant under the hood, but won’t be available when the SUV debuts next year at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Near the middle of its initial lifecycle, Porsche will offer the Macan with a four-cylinder engine, presumably turbocharged.

[Source: Autocar UK]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do any of you ever feel bad that the Macan you’re driving is actually based on an Audi frame and using a Volks Wagon engine?

I’m looking forward to receiving mine, but would like to hear your thoughts.

When I see a 911 go by and hear that engine, I second guess my decision for a moment, asking myself if what I ordered is a true Porsche.

·
Registered
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
219 Posts
I couldn‘t care less what badge is on it or what platform it’s based on. I buy my vehicles based on whether it meets my needs, reliability reports and how much I enjoyed the test drive. If it said Audi on the hood I’d still own it. I’m not brand loyal.

I’m not sure what a true Porsche really means anymore given the merger of automobile companies. If you want an iconic Porsche, the Macan is the wrong choice and you should be shopping 911’s. I’ve had friends tease me that the 911 is also a glorified descendent of a VW bug. In a way they’re correct. I’d still own a 911 :)

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
601 Posts
I love that they went to the Audi Hot Vee engine. AMG utilizes this design as well. It’s a great engine! I don’t miss the old ticking Porsche engine from my 2018 S to be honest.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Do any of you ever feel bad that the Macan you’re driving is actually based on an Audi frame and using a Volks Wagon engine?

When I see a 911 go by and hear that engine, I second guess my decision for a moment, asking myself if what I ordered is a true Porsche.
No..... I don't feel I'm driving an Audi.

Reactions: Dubber and Loins

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I test drove the SQ5 and the Macan... 3 yrs ago.... the choice was easy
Can't speak to the current models/years

I doubt you'd confuse the two on test drives less than 1 hr apart.
My daughter actually pulled the trigger on the Macan S..... and then bought one for herself !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The other day I had a guy ragging on me for buying my new Macan S. He said it’s a piece of crap compared to the BMW 3 series with M package. It’s was cheaper and much faster 8k less. I didn’t care. I love my Macan S.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
72 Posts
The other day I had a guy ragging on me for buying my new Macan S. He said it’s a piece of crap compared to the BMW 3 series with M package. It’s was cheaper and much faster 8k less. I didn’t care. I love my Macan S.
Two things:
1 - Tell him about all of the people on the Macan forum that are former BMW drivers who think the current BMW’s are ugly as crap and drive like crap
2 - Let him drive your Macan and see what “road feel” really means.

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Hes one less person competing for a build slot . Porsche does cost more because "its a Porsche" and behind every badge is a history of champions .

·
Registered
19 Posts

If you have driven both, you will see they are night and day differences between the Q5 and Macan. I'm certainly a fan of VW and Audi, but it just doesn't compare. And i have a 911 as well for those extra special drives, but i have to say the Macan is a true joy to drive.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I currently own a 2017 Gen-1 SQ5 and a 2019 Macan Base and I don't think there is a "night and day difference".....other than the SQ5 has much more power.
The Macan is based on the Gen-1 Q5.

However, the Gen-2 SQ5 (2018+) is a somewhat less driver-engaging vehicle than the Gen-1 SQ5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.