Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all knew that someone would be that person who hates on the Macan and says that it is ruining Porsche and destroying the world The Wall Street Journal published a story about how Porsche fans may get upset about the company making another non-sports car.

"The Macan is 'going to be a double-edged sword,' for Porsche, said Mike Davis, a collectibles dealer in Atlanta who drives a 911 Carrera. He said he doesn't think he would be interested in a Macan. "I'm sure there will be people who see Porsche as less exclusive, that the brand is watered down."

Do you think that Porsche's brand will be watered down by the Macan? Is this something that we should even care about anymore?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Just another 911 bigot who probably also thinks the last real Porsche was the 993. It's guys like this that cause the Boxster/Cayman platform to be held back by the factory.

Sales volume and profit from the 4-door Porsches allow projects like the 918 and Porsche's return to LMP racing to happen. Even if he doesn't appreciate the vehicles themselves, he should acknowledge that the boost of funds to the company has a positive impact on the sports cars in the brand. I don't think anybody thinks less of the 911 just because you can also buy a Cayenne/Macan from the same manufacturer.

Reactions: Luv2Drive

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure what this is all about...I have owned Porsches since the '70s and still have a classic 911 RS conversion which we drive on nice days.

The Macan will be a great second Porsche for our family. It is a more practical vehicle which has room for four or just more room to haul golf clubs and groceries. Most of all it will be fun to drive! Many Porsche owners have bought Cayennes for practicality and they are just great driving cars. Nothin wrong with that

·
Registered
71 Posts
Even if you don't think that the Macan is a true Porsche, I don't think that fact that Macans will be driving around town will make your Cayman or 911 look any less cool. These people are all whiners who are trying to make mountains out of mole hills and who don't understand that companies are out to make money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
porsche enthusiasts dont like anything but the 911 :)
That is basically true. While the Macan does look like a Porsche, I don't think it looks quite the same as a classic or a roadster. For example, the coupe roof line of the 911 looks more Porsche like than the roof line of the Macan. And with the extra ride height it makes the iconic front end design look strange being so high up off the ground.

Having said all this I think that the complainers are not worth paying attention to.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love porsche and have owned several 911's. But Porsche does not = 911, the mecan, cayenne and pan are all genuine porsche - just forget the flat earth society who think that all P cars should be beetle variants - they don't

m33
I think the whole issue is that people see an SUV with a Porsche badge and say it's not a real porsche, they dont consider it to be a real porsche which is sad.

·
Registered
307 Posts
not necessarily true. Real porsche enthusiasts understand that Macan and Cayenne are simply financing projects to go racing and build even more insane 911s....

those who don't are not real enthusiasts.
the way I look at it

If you are a true Porsche enthusiast. And you own a 911.

And your wife tells you that they need an SUV as a family car because your 911 just aint cutting it. Well if you love Porsches why not stick with Porsche and go with the Cayenne or Macan

They aren't sports cars but they are dam good SUVs in terms of performance and quality.

·
Registered
256 Posts
the way I look at it

If you are a true Porsche enthusiast. And you own a 911.

And your wife tells you that they need an SUV as a family car because your 911 just aint cutting it. Well if you love Porsches why not stick with Porsche and go with the Cayenne or Macan

They aren't sports cars but they are dam good SUVs in terms of performance and quality.
that's exactly how I see it
it's the perfect alternative to owning a true sports car, you get all the space of your traditional SUV but you get sports car performance, something that isn't all that common for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree entirely with the previous posts.

For me the Mecan is a way of enjoying the P brand in a new way that wasn't previously available.

Its all personal but in my eyes the pana is a bit clumsy looking, the cayman/boxster are mini 911's and the Cayenne too big and cumbersome.

So if I wanted something a little different I was stuck.

Not so now, as previously said I can get performance, luxury and prestige in a package that that will also offer a smoother and quieter ride.

Im going to have to wait a while but the Mecan Turbo is way up on my list

m33

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.