Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Porsche Macan Base 2017 leaked some sealant around the engine block. Dealer says completely normal, i.e, nothing to repair. Is this expected? What do you think? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,180 Posts
That doesn't look like a leak to me - it appears to be where a bit of sealant oozed out when the pieces
were joined together and the bolts were torqued down. Notice how evenly the ooze is distributed. This
suggests a uniform bead was applied before the pieces were joined.

A leak would likely show as a gap in the sealant with some fluid or substance escaping from inside the
chamber behind the pieces - oil? coolant? etc.?

Keep an eye on it and see if you observe any changes to the appearance.

;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see two problems with this. 1) It's liquid not rubber 2) it only showed up recently, i.e., after 2.5 years of service.

·
Super Moderator
1,180 Posts
I see two problems with this. 1) It's liquid not rubber 2) it only showed up recently, i.e., after 2.5 years of service.

Curious.

The sealant (?) looks red in the photo - like a Loctite product. Why would it start oozing out now? Heating/cooling,
expansion/contraction cycles? Has the engine been recently subject to extreme conditions? Driving school(s), etc.?

In the left half of the photo there appears to be some residue of a similar color on the rougher part of the casting
'around the corner' from the mating surface. Is this there as a result of having wiped away some of the oozing (seepage?).

It's a bit puzzling how it got there. Wind (fan?) blown back?

I'm guessing the rougher casting is the engine block or a head and the more polished part mounted to it is... ?

What's the orientation of the photo (and what is it a picture of)? Are we looking down or upward toward something? Is this
at the front of the engine? More context is needed...

Thx!

🤗

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious.

The sealant (?) looks red in the photo - like a Loctite product. Why would it start oozing out now? Heating/cooling,
expansion/contraction cycles? Has the engine been recently subject to extreme conditions? Driving school(s), etc.?

In the left half of the photo there appears to be some residue of a similar color on the rougher part of the casting
'around the corner' from the mating surface. Is this there as a result of having wiped away some of the oozing (seepage?).

It's a bit puzzling how it got there. Wind (fan?) blown back?

I'm guessing the rougher casting is the engine block or a head and the more polished part mounted to it is... ?

What's the orientation of the photo (and what is it a picture of)? Are we looking down or upward toward something? Is this
at the front of the engine? More context is needed...

Thx!

🤗
Car has been driven very mildly for commute only and not subjected to any extreme conditions. Residue is probably from my attempts to wipe it off. You are looking at the engine sideways from a slight elevation.

·
Super Moderator
1,180 Posts
OK - I think I've got it. It's a Base Macan, so the photo is of a 4-cylinder engine. The firewall insulation is visible
of the right hand side. We're looking at the valve cover mating with the head, correct?

A sealant wouldn't be rubber (re: comment above) although it would be tacky and not really liquid/runny.

Further, if it is some fluid seeping between the cover and the head, what would be in there that is red in color?
Engine oil is not red. The Porsche coolant looks pinkish in the expansion tank.

Is your engine's coolant level in the expansion tank dropping?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK - I think I've got it. It's a Base Macan, so the photo is of a 4-cylinder engine. The firewall insulation is visible
of the right hand side. We're looking at the valve cover mating with the head, correct?

A sealant wouldn't be rubber (re: comment above) although it would be tacky and not really liquid/runny.

Further, if it is some fluid seeping between the cover and the head, what would be in there that is red in color?
Engine oil is not red. The Porsche coolant looks pinkish in the expansion tank.

Is your engine's coolant level in the expansion tank dropping?
Yes, I noticed a slight drop in the expansion tank level over time but the substance on the engine is not that watery. It's rather dense and a bit sticky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts