Porsche Macan Forum banner

381 - 400 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
To my fellow nerds:
Please do not monkey with the Headlight: Coding-Byte3-Installed Actuators with your x431. I changed that setting, and have created a fault situation from which I cannot recover. I am breaking out the PIWIS to reset my settings. Sigh.

In particular, my events were:
  • 2021 GTS with Black LED PDLS+
  • Changed Installed Actuators from "LED with AFS" to "AFS with Variable Light Distribution".

My headlights basically no longer work, I cannot clear the fault codes, and I cannot change that setting back the way it was via the x431.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately when I went out just now to try it, my battery is dead as a doornail 😖😭
Guess who ignored the suggestion to plug a charger in the car while coding. CTEK is on it now, so hopefully all is well in the morning and I can enable the setting.
Hope you don't need a new battery, but at least you can do that yourself (and code it yourself).

Also - I found a couple of other settings you might want to verify (at least, this is what's in my 2021):
Front-end Electronics: Exterior lights parameters-HBA lever arm length: I'm sure you don't want to just copy someone else's settings, but see if the value is non-zero? Mine was 82.5
Front-end Electronics: Exterior lights parameters-HBA sensor resolution: I'm sure you don't want to just copy someone else's settings, but see if the value is non-zero? Mine was 2.00
Instrument Cluster: Warning configuration-BCMV and SWSG warnings-High-beam assistant malfunction: Actuated

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Hey @RunBuh,
Thanks for the heads up. The headlights is an area I have a lot of trepidation poking around in.....my dealer had a **** of time activating on my macan, I don't need Borked, lol
You willingness to share your challenge is not lost on me, awesome of you to share and detail.....I really hope you can clear/calibrate it with the master tool today. Good luck !

·
Registered
505 Posts
Used the PIWIS to clear all faults (that I could) and then zipped through an automatic coding of Headlight and Instrument Cluster. Headlights are back in proper working order, but now my TPMS isn't TPMS'ing. I tried changing the tire type (and back) with no luck, but maybe I should have changed the the size? Will try changing the size (and back) later.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Great news man !!! wonder how TPMS got caught up in that ?? may need drive time to register ....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Great news man !!! wonder how TPMS got caught up in that ?? may need drive time to register ....
The TPMS settings are controlled via the Instrument Cluster, which I basically "reset" with PIWIS. I have a feeling I need to use a newer PIWIS version and reset things again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The TPMS settings are controlled via the Instrument Cluster, which I basically "reset" with PIWIS. I have a feeling I need to use a newer PIWIS version and reset things again.
What does it show or do you have a fault?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts

"No monitoring of time pressure. System learns over 15mph". However, if you go over 15 mph for a couple of miles, nothing changes. I tried changing the tire size, and tire type, and driving some more, to no avail.

·
Registered
246 Posts
"No monitoring of time pressure. System learns over 15mph". However, if you go over 15 mph for a couple of miles, nothing changes. I tried changing the tire size, and tire type, and driving some more, to no avail.
How many miles have you driven. It can take a good few miles to give values sometimes.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Drove it around some more - the fault message finally displayed: Tire Pressure Monitor Fault. Service Required. I know that's BS, just not sure how to fix it without going to the dealer. I will try using a PIWIS to retrain the TPMS (I see where to do it, I've never done it before).

·
Registered
757 Posts
Here's another "hidden feature".... I notice on the Porsche Configurator that the base prices have been bumped about $2000. The 911S went from $115 to $117, and sadly, the base 911 went from $99 to $102. It's a shame they couldn't keep the base 911 in "five figure" range. I assume the rest of the Porsche lineup saw a similar bump.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Drove it around some more - the fault message finally displayed: Tire Pressure Monitor Fault. Service Required. I know that's BS, just not sure how to fix it without going to the dealer. I will try using a PIWIS to retrain the TPMS (I see where to do it, I've never done it before).
Took me way too many tries to do it, but I have managed to retrain my TPMS sensors. Whether you use PIWIS, or an x431, the process is the same. Just be aware of one important thing: the car must be running. The first FOUR (!) times I tried, 3 with PIWIS, 1 with x431, the process "timed out" with the car switch "on" (engine not running) and connected to a 55amp power supply.

I have also discovered that if I change my tire type, the whole problem resurfaces again. Clearly, there is something wrong overall with my TPMS, and there has been since the day I bought the car and the first TPMS symptoms showed up,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Did you do automatic coding? May be worth doing this as this will flash revert coding based on vehicle maintenance order.

I had a few issues trying to code LKA and LCA that kept ending in it faulting.

I changed the vehicle maintenance order and then did automatic coding and everything is now working LKA (had LDW but coded LKA) and LCA (already had).

So suggest trying automatic coding. If it still has faults try again but in another version of piwis! (37.250 coded okay but I still had faults I couldn't delete, tried the same with 39.500 and so far no issues and everything is working)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Did you do automatic coding? May be worth doing this as this will flash revert coding based on vehicle maintenance order.

I had a few issues trying to code LKA and LCA that kept ending in it faulting.

I changed the vehicle maintenance order and then did automatic coding and everything is now working LKA (had LDW but coded LKA) and LCA (already had).

So suggest trying automatic coding. If it still has faults try again but in another version of piwis! (37.250 coded okay but I still had faults I couldn't delete, tried the same with 39.500 and so far no issues and everything is working)

Automatic coding is what started the problem. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Are you all good now @Runbuh ?
I am as good as I was before I monkeyed with stuff, but I clearly have a TPMS problem. There were supposedly a batch of Macans that got the wrong TPMS sensors, I appear to be one of them. I can manually train them, but they will not automatically train.

I can't speak for older Porsche TPMS systems, but the cars I've had from MY2016 and up can have their tire settings changed at any time. Drive around for a few minutes, and everything comes back up. I tested my wife's Cayenne today and got exactly that. However, on my Macan, if I monkey with the tire settings, TPMS will no longer read my tire pressure. If I drive around enough, I get a TPMS failure message. "Service Required". All I have to do at that point is manually train the sensors to the car via PIWIS or the x431. Then everything is fine until something or someone monkeys with the settings.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So my battery is A-OK, my problem was that I accidentally left the bluetooth dongle connected and it obviously drained the battery 🤦‍♂️ Anyway, all fine after a charge.
The setting under lights was there and disabled, so with great excitement I enabled the option and.... nothing. No difference :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips Run Buh, I'll try looking at those and as you say, won't just copy verbatim. Thanks too for the warning for the headlight settings, but sorry you took the pain. I was actually looking at those settings as they seemed inclined to be related, so glad I didn't touch them in the end.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So my battery is A-OK, my problem was that I accidentally left the bluetooth dongle connected and it obviously drained the battery Anyway, all fine after a charge.
The setting under lights was there and disabled, so with great excitement I enabled the option and.... nothing. No difference :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips Run Buh, I'll try looking at those and as you say, won't just copy verbatim. Thanks too for the warning for the headlight settings, but sorry you took the pain. I was actually looking at those settings as they seemed inclined to be related, so glad I didn't touch them in the end.
Once enabled you need to pull high beam stalk to activate the settings.

381 - 400 of 442 Posts