Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Many new car CPUs already record much of the data being discussed. *Event Data Recorders” are routinely accessed by insurance companies when an accident claim is made. Check this out. EDR

The only way I would use a data recorder is if I wanted to keep tabs on a child’s driving habits. In some cases there have been compatibility or questionable manufacturing issues which have caused electrical fires, which your warranty will not cover.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dude.....had this OBD2 reader for an insurance ”discount” and I ripped that **** out and returned in in 2.1 seconds flat.......the conscious effort you have to make to granny drive around town with all the a-holes driving...well like a-holes....is not worth the few bucks they discount......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know several insurance companies can get this data from your smart phone after you download their app but you do have to give them specific permission to access the data. In exchange, they give you a discount if your driving looks "normal" to their computer. I say run, don't walk from this sort of big brother monitoring!

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
161 Posts
FWIW:

Our technology requires a car to have an onboard diagnostic port (OBD-II port). The port didn't become a standard requirement in vehicles until 1996. If your car is older than 1996, or if you cannot find your vehicle's model or make when getting a quote, it may not be compatible. We may be able to support some electric cars, such as Tesla vehicles, with an adapter. If you did not receive an adapter with your Pulse device and have an electric car or car older than 1996, contact us.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Many new car CPUs already record much of the data being discussed. *Event Data Recorders” are routinely accessed by insurance companies when an accident claim is made. Check this out. EDR

The only way I would use a data recorder is if I wanted to keep tabs on a child’s driving habits. In some cases there have been compatibility or questionable manufacturing issues which have caused electrical fires, which your warranty will not cover.
And that information can, and will, be used against you in a court of law.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts