Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been thinking to switch my insurance to usage-based insurance(e.g. Metromile) and they require us to plug in a sensor into the OBD2 socket(so they can collect the information).

While I am checking the user manual, Porsche discourages using this socket for other 3rd parties because of the potential impairment. I understand this is the standard language but was wondering if anyone has done this and did that really break anything?

Thanks,

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think majority of people here use OBD port for "3rd party" obd tool from aliexpress.

·
Registered
298 Posts
1 - What is this tool?
2 - Do people leave it plugged in 24 x 365, like the insurance company will require?
No, that tool is used to simulate PIWIS interface. I use oBD2 tool as well. They are not connected 24/7 but I don't think any damage will occur. There is a chance of course, but I wouldn't bother. I would be bothered much more with sending data to insurance company. Mine offers that as well and for me it's not worth it, we have enough privacy invasion in US.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have to use it for the Cobb AP.
Just going out on a limb, here, but if the OP is concerned that Porsche discourages 3rd party OBD2 devices, then Cobb tuning products are probably not going to be high on their list.

I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.

·
Premium Member
6,745 Posts
There’s always a possibility of doing damage/impairment when using the OBDII, even with PIWIS.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi all, I have been thinking to switch my insurance to usage-based insurance(e.g. Metromile) and they require us to plug in a sensor into the OBD2 socket(so they can collect the information).

While I am checking the user manual, Porsche discourages using this socket for other 3rd parties because of the potential impairment. I understand this is the standard language but was wondering if anyone has done this and did that really break anything?

Thanks,
Wait. So you're going to volunteer to plug something from the insurance company into your car so they can not only tell where you go and when, but will also send them accelerometer data, so they can see how you use the throttle, take corners and braking.
You do drive a Porsche, right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wait. So you're going to volunteer to plug something from the insurance company into your car so they can not only tell where you go and when, but will also send them accelerometer data, so they can see how you use the throttle, take corners and braking.
😳 If you have any amount of assets you'd like to protect then this is an extremely bad idea: in an accident or liability situation it's hard to overestimate the ways this could be used against you ... opposing counsel will see the word "Porsche" and take it from there ...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If you have any amount of assets you'd like to protect then this is an extremely bad idea: in an accident or liability situation it's hard to overestimate the ways this could be used against you ... opposing counsel will see the word "Porsche" and take it from there ...
Absolutely right. And your insurance company won’t give a darn about you. They make you think they are your friends, but at the end of the day they are a for-profit business. They’ll do anything to deny compensation and make you pay for it... especially if you give them access to information... now they have all they need. They could grab whatever they can, even something innocuous, to deny insurance... it will be more expensive in the long run (in my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am a little ( a lot !!) flabbergasted that one would even consider giving an insurance company the inch by inch record of how you drive. What upside can you see to this?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I am a little ( a lot !!) flabbergasted that one would even consider giving an insurance company the inch by inch record of how you drive. What upside can you see to this?
Possibly lower rates, if one drives like a little old lady from Pasadena, and not very far.

Certainly seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of owning a P-car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You save money on your insurance premium if you're a good driver. Supposedly. However, in the OP's case, your insurance cost is based on how much you drive.
Pay Per Mile Car Insurance - Metromile

·
Registered
675 Posts
Possibly lower rates, if one drives like a little old lady from Pasadena, and not very far.

Certainly seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of owning a P-car.
Low rates occurred to me, but still.... Does the Insurance company suggest what they are "monitoring" ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Low rates occurred to me, but still.... Does the Insurance company suggest what they are "monitoring" ?
THE PULSE DEVICE; INFORMATION RECORDED & TRANSMITTED
The Metromile Pulse plugs into your vehicle’s OBDII port. This device is GPS enabled and records and communicates back to Metromile a variety of information about your vehicle and your trips, including miles driven, speed, heading, acceleration, deceleration, altitude, periodic odometer readings, collision and impact, location information, and any information derived from the information (collectively, “Data”). The Metromile Pulse records when it is connected or disconnected. The device transmits the Data wirelessly to and from Metromile through our wireless partners. Mileage and other Data may be used to underwrite and rate our insurance offerings, and will be used to develop, maintain, model, analyze and enhance our products and services. You may opt to turn off the long-term storage of GPS data from the Metromile Pulse in your vehicle. We will delete your GPS data on our servers within 45 days of the end of each prior month. You agree we may continue to use GPS data to prevent fraud. If you turn GPS data off, you will not be able to use service features that require access to GPS location.

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
The "majority"?

The "majority" as in some.

Clearly, not a well researched statement.

And, who leaves their diagnostic tool plugged in all the time?

As far as the potential for OBDII port damage using PIWIS - think about why the port is even present!

OBDII ports have been present in cars since 1996!!!

I cannot recall a single instance of a damaged OBDII port reported in or from any media source.

As noted above, allow ing an insurance company constant/continuous access to your vehicle's driving telemetry,
even for a few $ premium discount, seems both like an invasion of privacy and a really BAD idea.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You save money on your insurance premium if you're a good driver. Supposedly. However, in the OP's case, your insurance cost is based on how much you drive.
Pay Per Mile Car Insurance - Metromile
Well, define "good driver". I've been driving over 40 years and no insurance company has ever written a check to cover so much as a bumper tap on my behalf. Every insurance policy is written after they ask you a series of questions and "how many miles per year do you drive" is one of the questions. You're also asked to disclose any tickets, your zip code, where you park at night, use of the car and of course what kind of car it is.

The above should suffice for all the information they need. That I enjoy an invigorating driving experience is a "tree falls in a forest" scenario, and is none of their **** business.

A few years ago Progressive started pushing those stupid little devices you plug into your ODBII port "to save you money". A cat runs out in front of you and you dynamite the brakes, and now you're a bad driver because the accelerometer data shows a spike. No thanks.

If my insurance company ever suggests these devices I will take my business elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts