Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have an order for a Macan S and I’m expecting delivery in late September as of now. I was recently looking at the online configurator and saw an option for Porsche Dashcam Preparation for $130. This option was not available when I had to lock my build on July 1st - so it’s not like I glossed over it. I asked my SA how much the Dashcam would cost and he mentioned it was between $500-600, so the total cost would be roughly $750 at the maximum.

My car has entered the bodyshop (V260) and I reached out to my SA to see if he could add the $130 preparation option to my build and he said it’s too late. I then asked how much it would cost for the installation and the Dashcam at the dealership and he said it would be $1500.

This is a massive 100% increase in price. Any ideas what I could possibly do to get it for cheaper?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Call some Stereo installation shops to get quotes. Tell them which dashcam & which model Macan.
Don't go by price alone. Pick a shop that does high end cars.

Reactions: rasetsu

·
Registered
2023 GTS arriving in October
138 Posts
If you're OK going with an arguably better market solution you could get something for about 2/3 of that cost installed by a place that specializes in such things.
If you're OK going with a cheap Ali express solution, you can find some that tap into the overhead console wiring for $75. Easy DIY install, supposedly. I'll be going this route when my car arrives in October.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's cheaper to order the prewiring before the build because it's easier to run the wire before everything is assembled. Ever pay to have and electrician add an outlet to an already built house? Same idea. The dealer will always way over charge for stuff like this. This stuff is routine and far from rocket science for any high end car electronics installer. There are other much better integrated dash cams with front and rear recording than the one Porsche sourced from whatever supplier they contracted with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's cheaper to order the prewiring before the build because it's easier to run the wire before everything is assembled. Ever pay to have and electrician add an outlet to an already built house? Same idea. The dealer will always way over charge for stuff like this. This stuff is routine and far from rocket science for any high end car electronics installer. There are other much better integrated dash cams with front and rear recording than the one Porsche sourced from whatever supplier they contracted with.
Any suggestions for other dashcams?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
1500. Omg. Thieves. plain and simple. Go on vortex radar on web or YouTube. Very reliable site for dash cams and radar detectors. Get one for 2-300, find out who ur dealer uses and have him come to your house. Mine charged me $150 for install on my Cayenne for rd and cam. . And it’s the first of my last 15 cars I actually needed help doing it and I am not mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've installed 5 dash cams in my driveway, BMW 335xi, Macan S, Audi SQ5, 996 Turbo, Q5, never took more than 15/20 min, I'm extremely OCD so no visible wires, rattles or modifications to interior trims required.
Always included the hard wiring on the kits, if not available bought a 12V to USB adapter and added it on the fuse box.
$1500 for a dash cam, installed by one of the new guys at the dealer is a waste if money, if you are not handy for this kind of work go to any reputable audio car shop and they'll do it right.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sounds funny . . . but I use the Motorola shop for all my installs . . . .they do all the Secret Service, U.S. Marshals and local law enforcement marked and covert vehicles . They do really good work. I had 6 Motorola radios and a lot of stuff installed in me last truck. They mounted 6 radios in the console and all 6 of the lighting switches were in the overhead console. I had them put 12V outlets at all seats for phone charges when I had folks with me and then 2 marine grade behind the back seat to power external spotlights.

Anyway . . . . it's one option that might be something to consider. On thing about them . . .they do REALLY good work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
According to below, they seem pretty easy to install by connecting through the center lamp. Has anyone done that for a 2022 Macan?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know that those integrates with the rear view mirror, but I won't trust an Aliexpress camera, this device can save your ass on an accident, so I'll go for a recognized brand with some real reviews.
I have on 3 cars the Garmin 67W. it won't integrate with your mirror but the video quality is great, I had the previous model for about 3 years and it survived the Miami sun without any issues, previously I had an Amazon recommended camera and it melted in a few months..

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know that those integrates with the rear view mirror, but I won't trust an Aliexpress camera, this device can save your ass on an accident, so I'll go for a recognized brand with some real reviews.
I have on 3 cars the Garmin 67W. it won't integrate with your mirror but the video quality is great, I had the previous model for about 3 years and it survived the Miami sun without any issues, previously I had an Amazon recommended camera and it melted in a few months..
I second Garmin, though I got the model 57. I also bought Garmin's OBD adapter to wire the camera through the A-pillar and headliner, which is very easy to do (and I'm not one of the handiest people around).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts