Votes: 66 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 138 67.6%

• Total voters
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I spent about half an hour sitting in, and looking around, a Taycan Turbo S. It is the most impressive-looking 4-door sedan I've ever seen, inside and out. It is stunning, and I was unprepared for how good it would look in person after having seen many videos and photos of it online. I'm not a sedan person, but I am a wagon person, and I'm waiting to see how the Cross Turismo looks, as it will be a possible purchase for me. If I don't get the CT, I'll buy either the Macan E-Hybrid (if it comes out in a couple of years alongside the Macan BEV, as I've heard will happen) or the Macan BEV.

Having seen the Taycan in person, I know that much of that tech (including the awesome curved-glass instrument panel and other control panels) will go into the Macan BEV. Having experienced really good plug-in EV technology with my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, I think that my 2019 Macan is my last ICEV-only vehicle. Porsche does know how to make plugin vehicles well, and how to make them really fun and exciting to drive. I, for one, am glad for the EV revolution, and I'm glad that Porsche is at the forefront of the revolution among conventional ICEV automakers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, I think Tesla is 10 yrs ahead of all competitors (just look at the Taycan range & specs vs. price), so a Macan EV is a non-starter for me vs a Model X.

I wish Porsche would stop trying to compete where they have already lost (only my opinion, of course) and focus on their ICE greatness, a true Macan GTS with the GT3 4.0 and a real (non-DSG) PDK would be a dream, but I know this won't happen, and If it ever did, I know I'm not cool enough to get a spot on the inevitable 2-3yr waiting list.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As with most folks an all electric Macan is a NO for me. But a hybrid that helps performance and fuel economy makes for an interesting proposition. In fact, I did consider the hybrid Cayenne before purchasing my Macan.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I would consider a hybrid. There aren't enough charging stations in my area to make me consider an all electric.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would consider a hybrid. There aren't enough charging stations in my area to make me consider an all electric.
If/when I buy my first BEV (probably within 2-5 years), I won't be planning to use public charging; I'll be planning to do 100% of my charging in my garage at home, so it'll be used for local driving only. I'll be keeping at least one or two vehicles with an ICE it it/them for long-distance driving. But I would love to have a Macan BEV for much/most of my local driving. (My preference at this point is for a Macan E-Hybrid, however -- which I can also take on long trips without having to worry about public charging, yet doing most of my local driving in all-electric mode.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would love to see a Hybrid Macan with 30-50 miles of electric only range. I'd trade in my recently purchased 2019 Macan S and get one in Miami Blue !!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not gonna buy hybrid.
Not gonna buy EV.
Don't care if people claim it's the future.
Don't care if the EU claims that ALL cars will be EV by 203x.
I have two ICE Porsches, if they want me to buy another one, they better keep the gasoline cars coming.
And I live in the Bay Area where you can actually get by using an EV as a commuter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me the opposite;o) owning an EV, buying a Macan GTS.

Jaguar iPace for about 18 months, great car (a part the infotainment) but too much hassle with the charging infrastructure (France and Italy), went to the local Porsche dealer who had a few GTS available so tomorrow is the day.

One day when the infrastructure will scale up (Tesla type), will go back to EV or at least hybrid (Audi will release some new models next year, of which a nice Q5 Sportback).

Great Forum, and glad to become a "Macaner"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For me the opposite;o) owning an EV, buying a Macan GTS.

Jaguar iPace for about 18 months, great car (a part the infotainment) but too much hassle with the charging infrastructure (France and Italy), went to the local Porsche dealer who had a few GTS available so tomorrow is the day.

One day when the infrastructure will scale up (Tesla type), will go back to EV or at least hybrid (Audi will release some new models next year, of which a nice Q5 Sportback).

Great Forum, and glad to become a "Macaner"
Welcome, from the other side of the pond.

·
Registered
266 Posts
As I frequently drive between the Philly area and mid-coast Maine, I would need a vehicle with a range of 500 miles or the ability to recharge in the amount of time it takes to fill a gas tank. Our stops are not leisurely breaks, more like pit stops with everyone having a job: Driver fills the tank, passenger takes a pee; swap roles: driver takes a pee, passenger walks the dog for a pee. Hit the road. Good we don’t need to swap tires. Would need to tow a trailer for an additional pit crew member.

Reactions: wspollack and grim

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
60 Posts
As I'm 68 I fully expect my two current rides to be the last ones I'll have before that final ride in the hearse. ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
As I'm 68 I fully expect my two current rides to be the last ones I'll have before that final ride in the hearse. ;)
Oh come on! I didn't do my first 10,000 KM year on my Ducati in Europe until then. Change your oil and filter. You are good to go for some big years to come. I have 43,000 miles on this one. At age 68 I would consider that a good start.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sure why not? I think an EV Macan would be great!

·
Registered
2020 Macan S / Volcano Grey / 2-Tone Mojave with Brushed Aluminum / PASM & PTV+ / 20" Spyders
19 Posts
Regardless of our forum opnions, a roughly 300 mile range EV Macan would sell well and, IMO, be one heck of drive. Most houseolds, like ours, will need the ICE car for those longer drives, but 300 miles of range is the "sweet spot" for most drivers. I'd argue that's especially true for a compact SUV like the Macan.

For the EV to beocme ubiquitous, the manufacturers need to standardize on a battery pack. For instance, I pull into the "filling station" and swap my depleted pack (or packs) for fully charged ones - or possibly partially charged ones with enough range to get me home to my garage charger. The use model just needs to adapt to the current infrastructure a bit more so that operating an EV isn't drastically different than its ICE counterpart.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Regardless of our forum opnions, a roughly 300 mile range EV Macan would sell well and, IMO, be one heck of drive. Most houseolds, like ours, will need the ICE car for those longer drives, but 300 miles of range is the "sweet spot" for most drivers. I'd argue that's especially true for a compact SUV like the Macan.

For the EV to beocme ubiquitous, the manufacturers need to standardize on a battery pack. For instance, I pull into the "filling station" and swap my depleted pack (or packs) for fully charged ones - or possibly partially charged ones with enough range to get me home to my garage charger. The use model just needs to adapt to the current infrastructure a bit more so that operating an EV isn't drastically different than its ICE counterpart.
The switchable battery pack concept fails when wear is factored in a batteries wear out.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Regardless of our forum opnions, a roughly 300 mile range EV Macan would sell well
I agree forum opinions mean little, and thats because of the tiny sample size of enthusiasts vice the entire set of people who actually buy these cars. IOW, many, many people neither know nor care about auto forums. Its just a CUV just like all the other CUVs. They don't obsess about them, modify them, constantly detail them. Its just another car.

But to whether it will sell well or not, the Coronavirus might well have been very damaging for two reasons. First, the EV will sell for more than the ICE model. In a time where the country is struggling, millions of people out of work, wait until you see the Macan sales numbers for the year in the US. Now add to that an increase in price because of the technology. Second now that the push is on to migrate the medical supply chain away from China, there is no way the country will allow itself to be dependent upon China for essential components of the Transportation Sector. Not going to happen. And since the REE comes mostly from China, and I think graphite, that will be devastating to the lithium battery market. That doesn't mean there won't be electric cars. But it will continue to be a niche market. This virus is killing a lot of dreams beyond just the finances of small companies and individuals.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S / Volcano Grey / 2-Tone Mojave with Brushed Aluminum / PASM & PTV+ / 20" Spyders
19 Posts
The switchable battery pack concept fails when wear is factored in a batteries wear out.
Good discussion point! Battery aging is fairly well understood and getting better every day, and that would be part of the "grade" of pack you choose to purchase. Similar to purchasing different gasoline octane grades, or even buying gas at 7 Eleven (gasp!) vs Shell. The mindset has to be that you're purchasing a given amount of energy, just like gasoline. The pack is just the container, or gas tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This virus is killing a lot of dreams beyond just the finances of small companies and individuals.
True that. No doubt priorities are (and should be) changing, and yes, I'll be interested to see the sales numbers from even an esoteric product like Porsche. Make me wish I would have held out for a few more percentage point discount, but that's also why I'm a terrible investor!

101 - 118 of 118 Posts