Votes: 66 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 138 67.6%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Lol, no, they can't even keep the power on in this shithole state. An EV is the last thing I need. At least there are a few gas stations with power around here when PG&E chooses to screw us over.
Don’t want to thread hi-Jack... but you guys doing okay over there @Glock19? Been a rough couple of weeks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Little interest in buying any EV car today. Technology is changing rapidly which will cause rapid depreciation. I keep cars for 3-4 years max and in 3-4 years, today's EV's will be essentially obsolete with little resale value. Remember that batteries age and replacement cost is very significant. Charging time for longer trips or more driving in a day are potentially quite long.....you don't just fill and go....you sit there, sometimes waiting for a charger and then browsing a store or killing time on your cellphone. Son has a Tesla 3...loves it. I've driven the 3, the X and the S....instantaneous pick up...but I wouldn't buy one....if I went in that direction I'd do a lease....guaranteed value at the end or better said, guaranteed cost per year to drive the car. But Porsche leases are very expensive (assume the EV Macan would be the same)....Tesla's lease on the Mod X is even worse...only the mod 3 has a good lease because tesla subsidizes it. Finally, one can only guess at the price, but more than likely the Macan EV will be $100K+ when finally announced and configured...(Macan EV Turbo S)...look at the Taycan.

Just taking delivery of a 2020....figure 3 years of driving....I'll be in the market again in 2023 and I'll have another chance to buy an EV.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don’t want to thread hi-Jack... but you guys doing okay over there @Glock19? Been a rough couple of weeks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was fire in Lafayette off 24 with an evacuation area like 1 mile away from our house--but Cal Fire had it under control in less than an hour.

Honestly the power outages have been more infuriating.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
This thread is a poll, sense of the community of the percentage of current owners who might be willing to buy an EV Macan. Its not for arguing about if climate change is real or in reference to the Macan and EVs. The OT posts in this thread regarding Climate Change and EVs have been moved to Will EV be a short lived phenomenon?

·
Registered
34 Posts
This thread is a poll, sense of the community of the percentage of current owners who might be willing to buy an EV Macan. Its not for arguing about if climate change is real or in reference to the Macan and EVs. The OT posts in this thread regarding Climate Change and EVs have been moved to Will EV be a short lived phenomenon?
Thanks grim, I was unaware of that thread, and in glancing through the posts, yes, a more appropriate place for this discussion to be.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would I consider a EV or hybird Macan, yes. I would need to evaluate the technical and cost. I love my ICE's but options for 8 and 6-cylinder engines are decreasing by each model year. In general, 4-cylinder engines can be powerful but lack the character of their bigger brothers. So if I the engine of choice is not available, I guess bring on the batteries. Plus it does make sense if there's a significant amount of city driving (14 mpg on my last fill-up).

·
Registered
34 Posts

And the pole shows the sensible sentiment. At 70% NO - more than 2 to 1 not gonna buy!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am warming up to the concept of electric in general. However, until there are enough charge stations around, and I can get a full charge in 5 minutes with 300+ miles range, I won't be getting one. I actually think the "choose your soundtrack" option is cool. Not that it should sound like an ICE, but some kind of spaceship sound accelerating to warp speed could be appealing. You can't argue with the acceleration, and the weight distribution of the batteries can be quite favorable in terms of handling.

·
Registered
377 Posts
And the pole shows the sensible sentiment. At 70% NO - more than 2 to 1 not gonna buy!
But with all due respect, I think that once sports-car enthusiasts see how good EVs can be, and once the charging infrastructure and speed improves dramatically (and it will happen), many of those "70% NO" people will change their minds; they are reacting to the current situation. I'm still not ready to buy a BEV, but PHEVs yes (especially the Porsche E-Hybrids). But seeing the Taycan and its fabulous interior and computer screens, I'm getting excited about the forthcoming Macan BEV; assuming that the Macan E-Hybrid comes out at the same time, as I'm hearing from multiple Porsche sources, I'll surely be going that route first, but it's possible that I'll keep both a PHEV Porsche and a BEV Porsche (the former for longer out-of-town trips, the latter for staying close to home).

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
But with all due respect, I think that once sports-car enthusiasts see how good EVs can be, and once the charging infrastructure and speed improves dramatically (and it will happen), many of those "70% NO" people will change their minds; they are reacting to the current situation.
All polls are the current snapshot in time. Nobody can see the future. "assumptions" and "predictions" work both ways.

once the charging infrastructure and speed improves dramatically (and it will happen),
Do you know how much it costs to put in a 800V Porsche charging station?

Do you know how much it will cost owners of the Taycan or future EV Macans, which will be 800V, to use it.

Hint: Think Porsche Tax,

·
Registered
34 Posts
"Hint: Think Porsche Tax"

And again , the market perversions caused by tax subsidized incentives. If it does not make sense in the market to build and sell electric vehicles profitably, then it will not happen (should not happen). That is in a truly free market environment. A truly free market; Laissez-Faire Capitalism, which has never really existed but came closest to over 100 years ago. Since then the 'progressives' have invaded our institutions, schools and government and most unfortunately; the minds of the masses.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
"Hint: Think Porsche Tax"

And again , the market perversions caused by tax subsidized incentives. If it does not make sense in the market to build and sell electric vehicles profitably, then it will not happen (should not happen). That is in a truly free market environment. A truly free market; Laissez-Faire Capitalism, which has never really existed but came closest to over 100 years ago. Since then the 'progressives' have invaded our institutions, schools and government and most unfortunately; the minds of the masses.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Not talking about taxation by a government entity where the government takes money from the public and gives it back to another part of the public as an incentive to buy a product they want the public to buy. In this context, referring to the charging network that will go into Porsche dealers. Tax means profit, like the company sells you a CTEK charger, puts their logo on it, and charges you more when you can buy it much cheaper online. There is a reason they are one of the most profitable car companies.

So here, the question is "Do you know how much it will cost owners of ... EV Macans ... to use [those 800V chargers]?

Anyone who thinks someone paying maybe $70K for a Macan is going to get "free" 800V charging for life might want to reassess their thinking given they charge $700 a safety devices like LCA, where companies like Toyota provide that option "free" on $25K cars. And who is going to drive to a Porsche dealer to use these chargers. Many people live far, far away from a dealer and never go unless absolutely necessary. A lot of these is dreaming by those who live in or near the big cities and not the reality of 90% or so of the country.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Not talking about taxation by a government entity where the government takes money from the public and gives it back to another part of the public as an incentive to buy a product they want the public to buy. In this context, referring to the charging network that will go into Porsche dealers. Tax means profit, like the company sells you a CTEK charger, puts their logo on it, and charges you more when you can buy it much cheaper online. There is a reason they are one of the most profitable car companies.

So here, the question is "Do you know how much it will cost owners of ... EV Macans ... to use [those 800V chargers]?

Anyone who thinks someone paying maybe $70K for a Macan is going to get "free" 800V charging for life might want to reassess their thinking given they charge $700 a safety devices like LCA, where companies like Toyota provide that option "free" on $25K cars. And who is going to drive to a Porsche dealer to use these chargers. Many people live far, far away from a dealer and never go unless absolutely necessary. A lot of these is dreaming by those who live in or near the big cities and not the reality of 90% or so of the country.

Yes, I understand. I was just playing off of your use of 'tax' . Bottom line is electric, in its current state, is NOT competitive, profitable, convenient or in general usable by most drivers. The false narrative of 'sustainability' under the false premise of avoiding a (non existent) 'climate catastrophe' is a sign of our dire times. It is as if the powers that be want us to return to the dark ages, all while they are all living their hypocritical lives at us good peoples expense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I saw in some news that Porsche’s next electric car is going to be the Macan. However, they said that they’d still make the combustion engines in addition to the EV model, so this leaves us up for decisions on which to pick. Personally, the whole small range thing isn’t a big deal for me because rarely do I travel over 200 miles in a given day and In California we have decent charging infrastructure, but I’m leaning towards the combustion because I can’t deal with the lack of sound and no gear changing. Sound is a game changer for me as it turns heads and differentiates your car from others especially if you have a European exotic car which actually sounds nice as opposed to those awful RICED civics and some deep groaning muscle cars. I’m sure the EV variant will boast some quick 0-60 specs and on paper it will look like the better car, but I would definitely not enjoy a silent car that you have to drive in automatic the whole time. I’ve heard the Taycan’s “sport sound” and while it does sound cool, it’s not even noticeable outside the car and barely audible inside the cabin. I also think that the EV model would be significantly heavier and thus not handle as well. I have seen some exhaust companies making artificial tailpipes that will pump out recordings of a combustion engine but that seems a little corny in my opinion and people would definitely know it’s fake. What are you guys going to pick and why?

·
Registered
2017 Macan Turbo
55 Posts
By now, everyone should know the 2nd generation Macan is planned to be EV only. The latest reports indicate that 1st generation Macans will be coproduced for some period of time. For more details read Second Generation Macan EV Only.

If you currently own a Macan, will you buy an EV Macan? There is no point in discussing whether or not the infrastructure will exist. We all live in different parts of the country and different countries. Take a guess. For example, from what I see, it will never be practical to own an electric vehicle with the same practicality as gas. You have to consider those in apartments, townhouses, out in the boondocks, rural communities, urban areas, etc. So just figure your own circumstances and don't worry about everyone else. I wouldn't count on a tax subsidy either in the US. It will go away once 200,000 units are sold and changing that would required both Congress and the President to agree, regardless of who holds those offices, a very high bar to cross.

Yes or No?
No

·
Registered
35 Posts
To be honest, I would certainly consider it. I imagine they won't botch it up. Either way, I wouldn't do a 1st gen version of it but will wait to see how it irons out.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts