• No

Votes: 138 67.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now, everyone should know the 2nd generation Macan is planned to be EV only. The latest reports indicate that 1st generation Macans will be coproduced for some period of time. For more details read https://www.macanforum.com/forum/macan-general-discussion-forum/166394-second-generation-macan-ev-only.html.

If you currently own a Macan, will you buy an EV Macan? There is no point in discussing whether or not the infrastructure will exist. We all live in different parts of the country and different countries. Take a guess. For example, from what I see, it will never be practical to own an electric vehicle with the same practicality as gas. You have to consider those in apartments, townhouses, out in the boondocks, rural communities, urban areas, etc. So just figure your own circumstances and don't worry about everyone else. I wouldn't count on a tax subsidy either in the US. It will go away once 200,000 units are sold and changing that would required both Congress and the President to agree, regardless of who holds those offices, a very high bar to cross.

Yes or No?

·
Registered
563 Posts
No. If I lived/ commuted to a city then I wouldn't buy an expensive car for that commute. I'd by a cheap one that I'd expect to get all dinged up and "urbanized".

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
No. **** no. Like my engine sound thank you very much

·
Registered
162 Posts
No, I need my personal car to have longer range than an EV car. Perhaps when the infrastructure is built up.

But I may replace our beater car with another, cheaper EV car. EV cars are now, ideal mode of transportation for commuting. Interestingly, all the "cheaper" EV cars like the Niro or Leaf are now close in price to a stripped down Model 3.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Perhaps.

My wife and I do 600-mile days, maybe a dozen times a year (it has to do with where kids and grandkids live). If an EV could make that trip, then things would be looking up.

I'm talking maybe a 400-mile range, and then something like a 75% charge during a half-hour lunch stop (with infrastructure such that charging would be readily available, perhaps at most Interstate exits, or certainly at every Interstate rest area).

This may be a pipe dream for me, at my age ...

·
Registered
999 Posts
I will evaluate my needs at the time ("never say never"). However, there is a 98% chance that I will simply keep my two Porsches for the duration

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would if:

Gasoline is $5.00 gal or higher, and if I can write off a portion of not only the vehicle itself but the home charging station install from my taxes.

...that and a range of at least 300 miles in the Winter, minimum 4 yr/50,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty, the EV Macan costs about what a ICE Macan would cost, and if the handling/performance is the same or better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's not there for me yet.
It's way too cold here, range anxiety is a reality for me.
I don't even like playing the tantric gas gauge game.
I don't really believe an EV is any cleaner than what I do. My Suburban is 100% recyclable.
Should there also not be, end of life responsibility plan? for EV suppliers and purchaser?
What are you planning to do with that 717 lbs Panamera battery when it comes to replacement?
Surely, as a believer, you should put the expired battery in your basement, not my back yard.
EV Macan.
Enough to buy it, or enough to rent the MAcan appliance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yes, if it can go 0-60 in 4 seconds and has 300 mile range. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Living in the west I would go for a plug in hybrid. The 2019 Cayenne version is supposed to get 22 miles or so on e-juice only. That's more than enough for my daily sojourns.

·
Registered
999 Posts
No. When I was a kid I put Baseball cards to rub against the spokes of my bicycle wheels to make motor sounds as the wheels turned round.
Now there is an interesting option for EVs: choose your own "engine/motor soundtrack" -- howling Ferrari V-12 for the morning commute; screaming GT3 RS for lunch break; Bugatti W-16 for the ride home; Saturn V for weekend fun romps; baseball card-spoke-rub for the nostalgic high school reunion arrival.
Owners could put a selection on an SIM card. . .The mind boggles

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If it drives like a Porsche, sounds like a Porsche and it performs like a Porsche I don't have any issues in buying one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Theoretically I would, however I’m expecting the macan to last as long as my dd ( 27 years and still totally reliable) . So the macan should see out my driving days even if it lasts little more than half as long.

We have discussed an ev when my wife’s golf eventually dies, 270,000+ km diesel and 6 speed DSG. Still going well.

I’m hoping our ev charging system will be similar to the system one company in China is doing.

There are 2 ways to buy the car, with a battery or without a battery.

If without a battery you pay a battery subscription, and drive to your nearest battery station to have a recharged battery swapped in 10 minutes. Additional subscription and they pick it up from your home and return it with another battery.
Battery stations will be no more than 10 minutes drive in any urban direction. Similar to gas stations.

Buying with a battery, you take care of charging etc.

One of the advantages, according to their advertising, of buying without a battery is when it comes time to sell, you are not selling a car with a near dead battery. The next owner simply starts another battery subscription.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hard to provide an absolute yes/no answer for this. It will be >2 years before any solid information comes for the next generation Macan. Are we supposed to imagine the weight, power, cost, size, range, charging infrastructure, etc, for the rumored next Macan EV? One can only assume that Porsche will improve on the Taycan for its subsequent generation of EV tech -- but how much better, at what cost?

To the larger question: when will EV be the preferable choice? For some people that time could be many years away. But EVs are already very compelling for urban dwellers, even those who aren't subject to UK and Euro nanny state automotive restrictions. Driving is so awful in most major cities of the world that attempting a daily commute in a high powered gasoline or diesel rocket ship is pointless and extremely frustrating. Be happy if you live in a rural region and can both afford a Porsche and have access to an open road to enjoy it. Looking at the gridlocked infrastructure some cities have, I have begun to wonder when side-by-side automotive seating will be banned and the only vehicles allowed on the gridlocked streets are electric bikes and tuk-tuks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No. If I lived/ commuted to a city then I wouldn't buy an expensive car for that commute. I'd by a cheap one that I'd expect to get all dinged up and "urbanized".
Bingo. I would be in the market for the 125 mile range Honda compact EV but a luxury performance EV isn't in my cards for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Dkayak
1 - 20 of 118 Posts