Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gentlemen....a couple of questions:

1. What is recommended for waxing and or polishing a brand new Macan? Is either necessary right away? Wax, but no polish? Should I wait?
2. What is the recommended brands/types of Polish and Wax for Jet Black Metallic?
3. Is a glaze necessary?
4. How about a good interior leather cleaner and leather conditioner?

Help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I suspect you'll receive more info than you thought possible, and will likely still be uncertain of what to buy but at least have sufficient positive recommendations that you can pick one.

I'm keen on Meguiars professional line. You shouldn't have to polish unless you have damage to your paint / clearcoat. However, factory paint often comes with a little orange peel to it, so a moderate cutting polish can remove some of that.

Jet Black Metallic. Perfect color for a high quality Carnauba wax. I have silver, so am never going to get that deep wet look. But, I'm going to try a good sealant and then Carnauba on top of that; hopefully locking in the shine and then adding a bit of depth with the wax.

I saw a thread here where someone used a saddle treatment on their leather with positive results.

There are a number of online detailing forums where you can dip your line in the water and get tons of recommendations.

Autogeeks.net has some reviews of the products they sell.

I should comment that I received my Mac two days ago. This Saturday it gets a quality two bucket wash, then a full clay bar treatment, then sealant and wax.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
Alright gentlemen....a couple of questions:

1. What is recommended for waxing and or polishing a brand new Macan? Is either necessary right away? Wax, but no polish? Should I wait?
2. What is the recommended brands/types of Polish and Wax for Jet Black Metallic?
3. Is a glaze necessary?
4. How about a good interior leather cleaner and leather conditioner?

Help is appreciated!
@dmoschella If only there was a section on this forum dedicated to questions like this. Maybe like:

Detailing - Porsche Macan Forum

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Get yourself a bottle of Black Fire Wet Diamond from www.autogeek.net and you will be amazed with the results. Easy to apply and remove and the wet look on dark colors is simply amazing. It's a synthetic polymer and does have some very light fillers.

For leather I recommend Zaino Z10.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
694 Posts
My Macan was delivered less than a week ago. After reading the posts on here for months I am trying to do what I saw was being recommended consistently. @grim's link will lead you to posts by Money2536. I am a fan of Money. The following is what I have done to date. I am not saying this is the best procedure but only what I ended up doing after all things I had read were considered.
My primary resources:
-"Money2536" link in MacanForum or search for him at rennlist.com
(my go to for watching step by step process detailing his Porsches
-"Junkman" who has several detailing videos on You Tube
( a car detailer who led me to The Rag Company for my microfiber needs and the suggestion of buying Micro Fiber towels only made in South Korea and how to test for the softest)
-A Supply company named "Detailed Image"
(That has several articles on Detailing a New Car, particularly black exterior which is what I have)
To date:
Exterior
-wash and foam wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash mixed with Adams multipurpose cleaner
-Blow dry
-Clay bar treatment with ONR
-Rewash with remaining solution in #1
-Tape
-Polish with Menzerma 4500
-Glaze with Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze - Note that several state this is not necessary but has some benefits. It is very easy on, easy off so I did it.
-Applied Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant
*Wax may not be necessary after Blackfire but I am going to try Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax in a couple of days and see if there is a positive improvement.
Interior:
-Treated leather with Leatherique Rejuvenator last night
-After 48 hours I will clean with Leatherique Conditioner
-Then I will apply Dr Beasley's Leather Lock to protect the leather.
I like the products I have used to date but I am tired! BTW, I am no authority on detailing but perhaps this list will be useful in some way!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I did a review on the Griots orbital (I recommend get an orbital if you will be doing your own detailing). There's the detailing steps I took in there for my previous car along with links.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/detailing/12338-griots-garage-random-orbital-review.html

I did NOT polish the car yet, only sealed it. There were some small towel scratches, etc. that could have benefited from a very light polish, but remember..... every time you polish now, is one that you can't do in the future.

You got black, so that's your own **** fault. I would recommend a light polish (Griots # 4), glaze, sealant, and wax. The polish will get most of it, the glaze what you missed, the sealant protection (and fills swirls also), and the wax will bring out the depth.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I think the leather is sealed/painted so leather treatment is doing nothing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. Great advice. I've spent hours going through the threads now. I have to do a better job of searching. Bottom line, I will not be polishing. I will seal and wax. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
That's all you need for a brand new car/paint.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My Macan was delivered less than a week ago. After reading the posts on here for months I am trying to do what I saw was being recommended consistently. @grim's link will lead you to posts by Money2536. I am a fan of Money. The following is what I have done to date. I am not saying this is the best procedure but only what I ended up doing after all things I had read were considered.
My primary resources:
-"Money2536" link in MacanForum or search for him at rennlist.com
(my go to for watching step by step process detailing his Porsches
-"Junkman" who has several detailing videos on You Tube
( a car detailer who led me to The Rag Company for my microfiber needs and the suggestion of buying Micro Fiber towels only made in South Korea and how to test for the softest)
-A Supply company named "Detailed Image"
(That has several articles on Detailing a New Car, particularly black exterior which is what I have)
To date:
Exterior
-wash and foam wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash mixed with Adams multipurpose cleaner
-Blow dry
-Clay bar treatment with ONR
-Rewash with remaining solution in #1
-Tape
-Polish with Menzerma 4500
-Glaze with Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze - Note that several state this is not necessary but has some benefits. It is very easy on, easy off so I did it.
-Applied Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant
*Wax may not be necessary after Blackfire but I am going to try Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax in a couple of days and see if there is a positive improvement.
Interior:
-Treated leather with Leatherique Rejuvenator last night
-After 48 hours I will clean with Leatherique Conditioner
-Then I will apply Dr Beasley's Leather Lock to protect the leather.
I like the products I have used to date but I am tired! BTW, I am no authority on detailing but perhaps this list will be useful in some way!
All this and you don't post an"after" picture!?!? Didn't happen.

·
Registered
694 Posts
All this and you don't post an"after" picture!?!? Didn't happen.
haha @Stevec717. Good point. The wax will be here on Monday and once I finish I plan on trying to take some good photos worthy of posting.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think the leather is sealed/painted so leather treatment is doing nothing.
@jzwu hmmm I am not sure what info I have read is true or not and I am not an expert, but a do it yourselfer. I have partial red leather interior and in the 5 months of waiting I did a lot of reading and read somewhere on MF that the leather from factory was not treated. I hope you are right and it does not need treated. At least now I know that it is definitely treated and because I live in a dusty, dry, and very hot climate, I intend to continue this leather treatment at least every 6 months.

Some of my other detail efforts might have also been partly wasted. What I did get out of the several hours spent working on my Macan is 1) I am personally familiar with every square inch of the exterior of my Macan and 2) I admire it and appreciate even more.

·
Super Moderator
7,378 Posts
My Macan was delivered less than a week ago. After reading the posts on here for months I am trying to do what I saw was being recommended consistently. @grim's link will lead you to posts by Money2536. I am a fan of Money.
Money is an interesting guy. After reading his journal, I went to the foaming wash and would never go back. Chemical Guy's honeydew gets into every nook and cranny and is very, very slick.

You know glaze is a filler and temporary measure.

As to Pinnacle Sourveign, you should read the story of its creation Pinnacle Souveran Wax ... The Truth - Corvette Forum

It came about because Zymol (choice of the PCA) was to expensive. Read the story because they are talking about black cars.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
The Like button is close.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You will find lots of good advice here on cleaning/polishing supplies/routines. And people tend to feel strongly about their products/routines.

For myself, I use Zaino on my Cayman. Only need to do it once a year and even after a year it still shines and beads rain. I spiff it up a bit with their glossy shine stuff after washing. Zaino is a seven or more step process, so you have to be committed to make it work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have always used Zaino products. I had a black Nissan 350Z Nismo and it was like glassly mirror. Has no chalky residue either. http://www.zainostore.com/ I use micro fiber to dry and cut off any sewn ends. If the towel ever hits the ground, throw it away. It only takes one grain of sand to ruin a glass like finish.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Money is an interesting guy. After reading his journal, I went to the foaming wash and would never go back. Chemical Guy's honeydew gets into every nook and cranny and is very, very slick.

You know glaze is a filler and temporary measure.

As to Pinnacle Sourveign, you should read the story of its creation Pinnacle Souveran Wax ... The Truth - Corvette Forum

It came about because Zymol (choice of the PCA) was to expensive. Read the story because they are talking about black cars.

Good luck
@grim Thanks for the info. I read that article on Sourveign last week and had seen a reference to it somewhere, probably in one of your previous posts. My Sourveign order should be here Monday. However, work calls and it may be a few days before I can try it.

I will definitely get some of CG Honey dew on order.

I appreciate the info on the glaze. Since I had already bought it, I used it but probably will not use it again.

I do have a problem. I have owned black cars before but never a Porsche. I thought I knew what I was doing when I ordered black contrary to the advice of many on MF that while it is a beautiful color it will take a lot of attention. I figured when it got a little dirty, so be it. It is just a car and a SUV, I thought. My mistake as I was not prepared to address the fact that with my Porsche Macan, I never want to see it dirty!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts