Porsche Macan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
But what words are considered cursing or colourful? There are some words that are **** out for no apparent reason? I guess it's also a cultural thing?

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
But what words are considered cursing or colourful? There are some words that are **** out for no apparent reason? I guess it's also a cultural thing?
C'mon, I'm sure you know very well what I mean. I have no idea what the automated filters decide to do but you know it when you see it. Use common sense and you'll figure it out.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@rob.g Agreed, there are perfectly acceptable words that get blocked out, and other foul ones that go through no problem. The filter isn't perfect, and likely doesn't take localized versions into consideration. But most will understand the intended connotation, and I think that is @grim 's point. As someone who frequents many other sites where the forums are the "wild west", I sometimes accidentally run afoul of the rules myself. But it's easy to go back and edit the post to meet the forum rules. And if you don't notice it fast enough, and someone quotes you, then just send them a message and ask them to edit the quote for you. Everyone here is an adult and capable of acting as such. Even me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Edit: Yeah, what @grim said above while I was editing my post for clarity.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Totally! I mean the obvious ones (I have just seen your post in the colour thread that probably prompted your message here) but initially I read that to be a general message. I've done posts in the past and had words **** out for what seems no apparent reason? Certainly nothing offensive and nothing that would be considered 'bar' language as you put it so the filter can seem a little 'oversensitive' at times!

Reactions: RJMcInnis

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Totally! I mean the obvious ones (I have just seen your post in the colour thread that probably prompted your message here) but initially I read that to be a general message. I've done posts in the past and had words **** out for what seems no apparent reason? Certainly nothing offensive and nothing that would be considered 'bar' language as you put it so the filter can seem a little 'oversensitive' at times!
I know, the automated filter is just that, automated. And its probably the exact same filter used on many forums. Can't do much about that and I understand that. But like RJ said, its the intent. And intent is easy to see.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I know, the automated filter is just that, automated. And its probably the exact same filter used on many forums. Can't do much about that and I understand that. But like RJ said, its the intent. And intent is easy to see.
I posted something about this a good while back on another thread and a quick check just showed that the post is still there, so hopefully the filters won't flag it this time either.

Google "Scunthorpe Problem" to see how automated filters can sometimes make legitimate mistakes. There's a long list of examples in the Wikipedia article, many of them not obvious until they're pointed out - then they're a hoot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well you could, you could just not use an automated filter and just warn people on a case by case basis if it is required?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Refresh my memory @grim - how much do you get paid to do this?:)
Big bucks for sure! Yuuuge Bucks! I'm sure. Why would anyone put up with all of our shtuff if they weren't just getting loads and loads of $ >:D

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I know there has been an influx of new members lately. That's normal. A new trim level was released and just the normal flow of new people.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES

In the last few days there have been new threads put up with OLD information. Reread

Keep all topics related to a topic in one thread. This will make it easier for people to keep track of what is going on. If they missed something, they can just go back and read it. Make sure to use the 'search' feature.

If its a video or review, please DO A SEARCH first. Everyone likes to provide information and that helps everyone, but there is no need to post it if someone else already did. Just add to the existing thread. And really, some stuff is two years old. You just didn't find it, its been out a LONG time. Someone surely has already posted it.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I guess I need to remind everyone about rule #13 .

No alternative user accounts. Each member will have one login/username only. Anyone caught with more than one account will have the alts deleted and infractions issued. If you would like a change to your account name, please request from a mod or admin.

No action has been taken on most of these until now. Consider this your only warning. Create a second account and the accounts will be deleted.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A couple of things of late.

1. There has been a rash of SPAM, much of it live streaming links. Just report it, as many have done, and its being taken care of. Thank you for reporting it.

2. I've been lenient on multiple violations of rules. That ended today. If you get multiple violations for breaking the same rule, expect to take a vacation, perhaps forever, particularly for the most flagrant and obvious violations.

thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Please do not interject your opinions on price in a thread where someone is trying to sell something. I'd consider that OT and immediately delete such posts per the rules.

If you want to help the owner about the price, then PM the owner privately. Do not interfere with the buying and selling. The market will work itself out without personal opinions.

thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The second rule I want to highlight is the no politics (or religious discussion) rule. Obviously, the next 9 months will be a time where politics will be on the mind of many, at least in the US. This is an automotive forum with a focus on Macans. While you free to discuss any subject in the Macan Lounge, you are not free to make comments on current politics, domestic or international. Keep it to yourself or go somewhere else. If you want to talk about if it was wise or not for Julius Caesar to cross the Rubicon River, thats cool. It's ancient history. It's not cool to discuss modern politics.

Thank you. :)
Today I deleted a post in an active thread that was clearly political. This forum has been very good about this. There has been little, very few, political posts in the last year and I applaud you all for having restraint. But please remember that just because the election is over does not mean the rule disappeared.

This is an automotive enthusiasts forums focusing on the Macan. If you want to argue about which suspension is best or if Car A is better than Car B, well go for it. Have fun. These things are ... "Things". They are physical objects that come and go. Today's greatest inventions will be tomorrow's junk. Your opinion can change tomorrow when a new "thing" comes out.

Religious and political discussions are "philosophies of life" or fundamental belief systems. Inevitably they lead to the opposing side to argue back. There's is no winner or loser. No one gets a gold star for having the "best" argument. And nobody is going to change anyone else's mind. So just don't go there. Don't make snide remarks about politicians or politics in general.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have already said in this thread

This is an automotive forum with a focus on Macans. While you free to discuss any subject in the Macan Lounge, you are not free to make comments on current politics, domestic or international. Keep it to yourself or go somewhere else. and

There has been little, very few, political posts in the last year and I applaud you all for having restraint. But please remember that just because the election is over does not mean the rule disappeared. ...This is an automotive enthusiasts forums focusing on the Macan. ... Religious and political discussions are "philosophies of life" or fundamental belief systems. Inevitably they lead to the opposing side to argue back. There's is no winner or loser. No one gets a gold star for having the "best" argument. And nobody is going to change anyone else's mind. So just don't go there. Don't make snide remarks about politicians or politics in general.

Generally, the forum has done very well in this regard but inevitably, this keeps coming up. The rule is simple ... If it looks political, smells political, or sounds political - DO NOT POST IT. Political discussions inevitably lead to flaming, heated discussions, etc and have no place in an automotive forum.

So what does this mean when it comes to technical or scientific discussions that have a direct impact on our cars? Its still simple and here is the obvious case. Emissions.

OK to discuss: the science behind it, empirical data, facts about the technologies, existing or potential future laws (e.g., CAFE standards and fines, EU emissions regulations), etc. These are facts. They exist whether they be a standard, science, or a law.

NOT OK to discuss. Political parties supporting a position or remarks you know will cause an issue with those who disagree with you (i.e., trolling). Specific example.

Its fine to talk about FACTs - CAFE fines were introduced in the Energy Policy and Conservation Act enacted Dec 22, 1975. Links documented historical fact support your position.

Its NOT fine to make commentary directed to the politics of the law. Example "Those (adjective adjective) ... ruined our cars". I picked this one as an example as one party controlled the Congress and the other the White House). You know this will inflame somebody.

I hope this clarifies things. If it looks, sounds, feels, or smells like politics, just don't go there. facts. I KNOW for some this is hard to do. I know political beliefs become ingrained in people. I understand it takes a conscious effort to stay away from it. Do your best. Leave your political hats at the door. And I applaud all who have observed this rule so well. Thank you for that.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
At least 4 times I have reiterated the no politics rule, #15

2/7/16 "no politics … rule. … you are not free to make comments on current politics, domestic or international. Keep it to yourself or go somewhere else"

3/7/16 "DO NOT make political comments anywhere in this forum."

12/22/16 “ Don't make snide remarks about politicians or politics in general."

1/16/17 "Its fine to talk about FACTs - CAFE fines were introduced in the Energy Policy and Conservation Act enacted Dec 22, 1975. Links documented historical fact support your position.

Its NOT fine to make commentary directed to the politics of the law. Example "Those (adjective adjective) ... ruined our cars".

Generally, the forum is very very good about this. As it appears that Porsche has decided to make new Macans EV, inevitably discussions appear concerning the foundational reason why, which unfortunately have political undertones. I’m not going to remind anyone anymore about this. If you fail to read the rules and reminder, do so at your own risk. They are stickied and prominent.

Inevitably, and unfortunately political discussions quickly turn ugly, anger erupts, and this will not be tolerated as this is not a political forum. Bashing or “flaming” politicians, positions, or political parties, or members thereof, are political discussions and will result in banning.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
At least 4 times I have reiterated the no politics rule, #15

2/7/16 "no politics … rule. … you are not free to make comments on current politics, domestic or international. Keep it to yourself or go somewhere else"

3/7/16 "DO NOT make political comments anywhere in this forum."

12/22/16 “ Don't make snide remarks about politicians or politics in general."

1/16/17 "Its fine to talk about FACTs - CAFE fines were introduced in the Energy Policy and Conservation Act enacted Dec 22, 1975. Links documented historical fact support your position.

Its NOT fine to make commentary directed to the politics of the law. Example "Those (adjective adjective) ... ruined our cars".

Generally, the forum is very very good about this. As it appears that Porsche has decided to make new Macans EV, inevitably discussions appear concerning the foundational reason why, which unfortunately have political undertones. I’m not going to remind anyone anymore about this. If you fail to read the rules and reminder, do so at your own risk. They are stickied and prominent.

Inevitably, and unfortunately political discussions quickly turn ugly, anger erupts, and this will not be tolerated as this is not a political forum. Bashing or “flaming” politicians, positions, or political parties, or members thereof, are political discussions and will result in banning.
Although this forum is actually pretty good about this, ONCE AGAIN politics has reared its head. Once again today I have had to remind people in this thread NOT to make political comments. That does not mean you can't talk about laws, regulations, tariffs, taxes or anything like that. Inevitably, and unfortunately political discussions quickly turn ugly, anger erupts, and this will not be tolerated as this is not a political forum. Whoever has a political opinion, rest assured there are others who do not believe what you believed. Therefore, bashing or “flaming” politicians, positions, or political parties, or members thereof, or actively supporting politicians in a political manner, are political discussions and will result in banning.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Political posts

Consider this a reminder to reread Rule #15 : "Domestic or International political or religious discussions are not appropriate for an automotive forum and will be deleted from any subforum. Continued political postings will result in infractions, and ultimately, a ban." Reminders to this rule were posted here http://www.macanforum.com/forum/macan-general-discussion-forum/97106-please-re-read-forum-rules.html#post2361433.

"That does not mean you can't talk about laws, regulations, tariffs, taxes or anything like that. Inevitably, and unfortunately political discussions quickly turn ugly, anger erupts, and this will not be tolerated as this is not a political forum. Whoever has a political opinion, rest assured there are others who do not believe what you believed. Therefore, bashing or “flaming” politicians, positions, or political parties, or members thereof, or actively supporting politicians in a political manner, are political discussions and will result in banning."

I understand that people have belief systems, can be passionate about their beliefs, and their beliefs be an integral part of who they are. 99.9% of the time members are very good about keeping their political comments off the forum. And we are all human, and a slip here and there is human. But continuing to make political comments after being warned not to is not acceptable. Who you support or do not support is not relevant. Whatever your political belief system might be, there is bound to be someone else who thinks the opposite of you and the results can be ugly. Please talk cars and their support systems (e.g., regulations, companies, futures, infrastructure). Leave your political comments at the door.

Thank you

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.